Austin
Sponsored by

Moving

2,203 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
ABHag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy y'all, just landed a new job in Austin. So the girl, the dog, and I will be moving on in pretty soon. We are both are in our twentys and have visited as guests before but just want some local recommendations for food and activities. Thanks in advance!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Welcome! Austin is a great city to be a DINK in

All depends on what you like but the food/drink scene is great but small

Obviously tons of outdoor activities

Good muni golf

Don't let the residents of Kyle, Cedar Patk and Mankr on this board scare you with ghost stories of liberals and homeless
The Fall Guy
AG
Lots of homeless and weirdness in Austin..
Potcake
AG
7:32a, 2/12/21
Live in Kyle, Work in Austin. Power has been out all night at the office. Can't work from home in Kyle.

Austin can F up a wet dream.

7:27p, 2/15/21
12 hours without power in Plum Creek Subdivision in Kyle. Came back on at 6:15 tonight. Half of our subdivision out again. Still cant use water in the cities of Kyle and Buda. Water systems down.

OP, can't move to Fall Guy's head, it's saturated with all things Austin.
AggieCVQ
Currently live in NW Austin we see plenty of homeless and rising tax rates... Not really a ghost story if you can see the ghosts in HD at any time. I like the city because of the nature, in spite of city governance and the homeless.

For OP, check out Chilantro, Gourdoughs, and Taco Deli.
Potcake
AG
El Chile
El Naranjo
Juliet
Bufalina Due
Taco Flats
Peached Tortilla
Garbo's
El Alma
T-22
Jack Allen's Kitchen
Monger's Market
La Cociina de Consuelo
Shoal Creek Saloon
Clay Pit
Ramen Tatsuya
Jewboy Burgers

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
You've probably heard all the different BBQ here. For a nice date night when it's nice outside, hit up Patrizi's.

Also love Buenos Aires Cafe. For something weird and off the wall, try Kemuri Tatsuya. It's traditional BBQ with sushi fusion.

Any location for Lavaca Street Bar, The Park, or Woodrow's is what I prefer for sports bars. If you are into the bar scene and clubbing, West 6th is where the 22-27 year olds hang, Rainey st is where the 25-32 year olds hang, east 6th is where the hipsters hang (you can still find Lonestar for cheap here) and dirty 6 is where the college kids hang. Kitty Cohen's on the east side is a pretty fun cocktail bar.
Aust Ag
AG
Patrizi's looks really good, though I'm tired of take out.
The Fall Guy
AG
Potcake said:

7:32a, 2/12/21
Live in Kyle, Work in Austin. Power has been out all night at the office. Can't work from home in Kyle.

Austin can F up a wet dream.

Creepy..... in your heaaaaaddd...

7:27p, 2/15/21
12 hours without power in Plum Creek Subdivision in Kyle. Came back on at 6:15 tonight. Half of our subdivision out again. Still cant use water in the cities of Kyle and Buda. Water systems down.

OP, can't move to Fall Guy's head, it's saturated with all things Austin.

Martin Cash
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Good muni golf

Don't let the residents of Kyle, Cedar Patk and Mankr on this board scare you with ghost stories of liberals and homeless
They aren't stories. They are disturbingly real.
Topher17
AG
Aust Ag said:

Patrizi's looks really good, though I'm tired of take out.

Patrizi's is fantastic. I wish they'd let you sit in their outdoor areas right now.

More for the OP:
Better Half - our favorite cocktail chill spot in town. Can't beat their reverse happy hour
St Elmo Brewing
Loro
Nixta
Le Cowboy - favorite spot the last several months. Was a pop up and closed now, but should resurface again in the near future
Activity wise there is obviously lots of outdoor things to occupy your time with like hiking or Town Lake, otherwise seems there's always something going on in town (pre-pandemic).
tailgatetimer10
AG
Ghost stories of the homeless? So I'm just seeing things? Its drastic over the last 3 years and I'm pretty sure everyone can agree.

And the actual housing surge, with no end in sight, we are going through right now is insane as well.

Other than that I enjoy it here.
ABHag
AG
Thanks everyone for the input. I also play golf so if anyone knows of a decent course that's not going to cost my arm and leg I'd appreciate it. Even just a driving range would do as well.
Topher17
AG
BarstoolAggie said:

Thanks everyone for the input. I also play golf so if anyone knows of a decent course that's not going to cost my arm and leg I'd appreciate it. Even just a driving range would do as well.
Quite a few public courses that are cheap in the area. Only issue I usually have or hear about is crowds, so just be prepared for long rounds. Jimmy Clay & Roy Kizer are good. Lions Muni is serviceable and cheap. I've never played it, but have known several people to enjoy ShadowGlen out in Manor.

Link to courses managed by the city: http://www.austintexas.gov/department/golf-atx

RIP Bluebonnet Hill
tailgatetimer10
AG
I'll join you in some golf. if you are willing to drive ~50 minutes west there is some nice courses for under 40 a round (Delaware Springs, Legends -- both really nice and hidden gems.)

Local courses that are decent for a decent price is: Forest Creek, Teravista, Avery Ranch (during the week), Star Ranch (sometimes) and Shadow Glen (not bad for the price).
FinMick
AG
In this market those homeless tents could probably go for low 6 figures...
Howdy Dammit
AG
Hope you and your lady don't want a house....
Oldfart2
Just prepare to give a lot of your money to the city for worthless projects. For instance, plenty of empty buses is leading to what will be plenty of empty train cars that you have no choice in paying for.
ABHag
AG
We are renting at least for the first year she finishes her MHA this summer and works at BSW in CS, she's going to be looking for a new hospital system. Hoping we find one there so we don't have to relocate again.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

I live by the domain. The homeless problem and random acts of violence in the city are a real problem. I cant discourage people that arent earning 150k+/year from moving here enough.

Random joggers getting attacked and people getting swung at with machetes are a ghost stories i guess... Just last week a man a block from the capitol standing in the middle of traffic screaming about the sodomites and black people in the city, challenging anyone who looked at him to a fight. In the 20 minutes i was in the area eating my thai food the cops never showed up. Thai food was dope as hell though.
barbacoa taco
AG
drove down riverside yesterday and couldn't believe how many homeless I saw in the median. This is a serious problem the city needs to address asap.

Are violent attacks on the rise too? I always thought of Austin as a pretty safe city.
tailgatetimer10
AG
They are, but they were previously low to begin with.

No worries though, according to another poster the homeless problem is 'ghost' and not real. I have friends of all types of beliefs, but this is the first time I've heard someone say this about our homeless situation.
BenFiasco14
AG

Good muni golf

Holy hell.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG

Good muni golf

Username checks out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.