Austin
Sponsored by

Question about Adler's statement about water usage

1,537 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Potcake
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Steve Adler said 'it's outrageous that at this moment, anyone would be washing a car...it has been prohibited in Austin with a $250 fine, since the water boil notice of Feb 17th'

This was in response to car washes being open today.

My question is...why? The water is not potable, so we need to boil it...but there isn't a shortage. Why shouldn't businesses (car washes) be allowed to operate? What am I missing?
Potcake
AG
They're still attempting to reach storage capacity aren't they? There are still numerous line breaks, I saw one tonight on dogwalk. There are still outages and pressure deficiencies.
jopatura
AG
I believe Austin does have a shortage because their 100k gallon reservoir was drained. They can't even test the water until pressure equalizes and that won't happen until the reservoir is full.

In some of the surrounding cities, pressure starting coming up once the power was back and once the system is fully pressured, they can start testing the quality to lift the boil notice.
AgGrad99
AG
Potcake said:

They're still attempting to reach storage capacity aren't they? There are still numerous line breaks, I saw one tonight on dogwalk. There are still outages and pressure deficiencies.

If it's keeping anyone from receiving water...I understand the point. But that wasn't conveyed. They made it sound like they were punishing bad optics, because some people are without.

If these businesses have water in their area, and are paying for it...I don't understand the fine, just because there is a boil notice.
AgGrad99
AG
If there is a shortage...I get it. Makes sense. They might want to communicate that better.
jopatura
AG
What the car washes are trying to argue is that they were never directly told about the restrictions.

From my understanding, a boil water notice automatically triggers mandatory water restrictions which raises conservation to the highest stage possible anyways. So the city shouldn't have to specifically tell car washes not to operate in a boil water notice because they already aren't allowed to do it.

But it doesn't matter because I believe the judge signed an emergency order tonight shutting the car washes down regardless.
AgGrad99
AG
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

If there isn't a shortage...I don't think they should have to shut down...but it sounds like there was...so it makes sense.
jopatura
AG
Yeah, Austin's problems were directly caused by the shortage, aka the reservoir being drained. They were fine through the power outages because they had generator backup power at the plants. But once pipes burst, it couldn't keep up.

Some other cities had problems due the power outages and no backup generators. These are the ones where you see water was lost basically the 15th and wasn't restored until power came back completely and the system could pump water through again. My city, Pflugerville, was one of these.

Some private water companies and MUDs (Manville, Southwest, Forest Creek MUD, and Brushy Creek MUD are ones I know for sure) had damage that had to be repaired first and lost pressure that way.

Then you have cities like Cedar Park and Round Rock that maintained their pipes and equipment, own generators for use at the water treatment plant, and their citizens generally aren't dealing with water issues tonight.

So basically everything that could go wrong at a water treatment plant had gone wrong at least one in Central Texas this week.
BrokeAssAggie
We live in 78739 zip code and have been without water since Wednesday. Would be nice to be able to flush my toilets and take a shower.
KT 90
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

We live in 78739 area code and have been without water since Wednesday. Would be nice to be able to flush my toilets and take a shower.

Same for us, but water came on gradually in the early hours this morning. Hopefully you are next, we are in Shady Hollow area near your zip.

If you need some extra water from melted snow, we have some left.

BrokeAssAggie
KT 90 said:

CrazyRichAggie said:

We live in 78739 area code and have been without water since Wednesday. Would be nice to be able to flush my toilets and take a shower.

Same for us, but water came on gradually in the early hours this morning. Hopefully you are next, we are in Shady Hollow area near your zip.

If you need some extra water from melted snow, we have some left.

We have a neighbor with a pool so I have been filling up 5 gallon buckets. Hopefully we are back on later today.
Potcake
AG
HTownAg98
Most carwashes don't use that much water, and reclaim a lot of it. But it looks really bad when you're trying to wash your Tesla when the system can't get pressurized.
fig96
AG
Potcake said:

The storage level were trying to restore to is 100 million gallons so this is trending in a very good direction.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Adler also told everyone to stay home during the holidays while he took a party of 25 people to Cabo.

Why do y'all ever listen to that fool, much less vote for him?
Potcake
AG
Non sequiturs for $1000, Alex.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.