Austin
Sponsored by

Fishing Brushy Creek Lake

2,746 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgGrad99
SouthernRaisedYankee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I cross posted this in the outdoor form, but thought this might get some decent responses too...

Anyone fish this lake? I heard there is bass, catfish, and crappie out there. Any tips on getting started with bait, spots, good times to go?

Thanks and Gig 'Em!
MouthBQ98
AG
Haven't fished it but have fished in the area, and those creeks and streams are loaded with bluegills and bass. They are mostly smaller so size your lures for it, but there should be loads of them.
flintdragon
AG
I've fished it some from the bank and from a kayak. There are some decent size LMB though I haven't caught them myself. My typical catches are around the 1.5-2.0 lb size. The banks are usually really crowded and over fished for sure. If you go west beyond Parmer, it much less pressured. The area under the Parmer bridge can be really good sometimes. Over by the dam on the east side, if you fish from the rocks on the southeast portion, plenty of people have caught good size fish.
Sandman98
AG
SouthernRaisedYankee said:

I cross posted this in the outdoor form, but thought this might get some decent responses too...

Anyone fish this lake? I heard there is bass, catfish, and crappie out there. Any tips on getting started with bait, spots, good times to go?

Thanks and Gig 'Em!

We live five minutes from there and I fish it with my sons all the time. It took us a while to figure it out but we've caught our PB's there. We curl off to the left through the weeds after the walking bridge (west side of Parmer near the last soccer field). Lots of spots along the creek west of Parmer that have yielded both cats and bass. We caught this one there. We mostly use live minnows or wacky or Texas rig plastics.

ReloadAg
AG
Wow that's amazing! I ride those mountain bike trails over there almost every weekend and keep wondering about the fishing there. I'd love to take the kids.

Where do you normally park?
El_Guero512
Wow I always wonder about that creek there. I play soccer at those fields and wondered how the fishing would be there. Will have to check it out next time I go up there.

ReloadAg there is tons of parking next to the soccer fields.
ReloadAg
AG
Thanks
Sandman98
AG
ReloadAg said:

Wow that's amazing! I ride those mountain bike trails over there almost every weekend and keep wondering about the fishing there. I'd love to take the kids.

The previous poster nailed it on the parking. There is another spot if you hang a right after the walking bridge and stay on the concrete trail. About 100 yards past the train bridge hang a right in to the narrow walking path of beaten down weeds. There are a couple of deeper pools in the creek that attract bass especially this time of year. It's more shallow but we've caught a ton of one to two pounders there.
Sandman98
AG
Same spot.
ReloadAg
AG
Wow that's awesome thanks! Y'all just use worms for bait?
tailgatetimer10
AG
I've fished here, but in the larger area.. nada. I did not realize this size was in there.
Sandman98
AG
We usually pick up live minnows at Jensens (closed on Sunday). We've used worms and plastics as well. Had luck on everything on the right day. We've definitely been skunked our fair share.
Mookie
AG
ReloadAg said:

We live in Oak Brook (above Olsen meadows park). My son rides those trails all weekend. You see a 6'2" kid on a bright green specialized enduro say howdy.
ReloadAg
AG
Ha will do
EW2
S
Fished there a lot back in the day. Usually caught a huge bass on every cast using some cheater bait. Get it from my guy on the corner downtown. Really odd fella but the stuff he sells works pretty good.
The Dirty Sock
See lots of folks walk down to the creek from our house with their fishing equipment didn't think some of them would be Texagers. Hopefully it's none of you they're hauling off in ambulances trying the deception trails.
Aggieangler93
AG
We used to catch huge bass in there 40 years ago when this whole area was still out in the sticks. I know those waters will hold good fish upstream of the lake. The lake used to be a goldmine when it was still on private property owned by the Avery's. I am sure those genetics are still there (although slightly watered down) upstream of the lake.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
AgGrad99
AG
Same. Before it was a park, we used to catch giant bass there. But now...I dont ever catch anything other than small blue gills.

Maybe i need to get away from the main lake, and down the creek a bit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.