Austin
Sponsored by

Hey Austin congratulation on you 25% city property tax increase.

10,389 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by WestAustinAg
BTHOB-98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/politics/project-connect/austin-business-cant-afford-prop-a-property-taxes-project-connect/269-56b27d54-00db-430b-81b6-5916b3115acc?fbclid=IwAR1v75kfS0XhaXSAB7YlOgOZqIt_m6K6WSbBgjZbazk_GYqlyDdSL7V5ZzY

Enjoy that on you tax bill starting in December. So dumb. Read the proposition next time!!!

No one knows what they voted for. 7.1 Billion and that doesn't even get the entire project done. A 8.75 cent increase to the city of Austin's tax rate would pay for construction, maintenance and labor of the system, which will take decades to fully build out.

You also voted for Prop B offers $460 million for a slew of items, including $260 million on bike lanes, urban trails and sidewalks as well as a $102 million package that includes a three-pronged pedestrian bridge just up river of the Longhorn Dam at Pleasant Valley Road.

OK so I may take some heat for this post. I want to explain to you why this is important. It's especially important to people that work jobs where they don't make a lot of money or even have to work two jobs. This didn't make Austin more affordable this is going to increase property taxes on every apartment complex in the city of Austin. What this means is private property owners are going to pay more in their houses and tenants are going to pay more rent. And it still won't solve our transportation issues.
La Migra
But I've been assured by posters who are lol...dangerously informed that this is good for the long run.

The only thing this is good for are the developers/property owners around the stops for these light rail lines.
rathAG05
AG
Would spicewood be included in the tax increase? I live in spicewood but just still inside Travis county.
Mike Elko
AG
So glad we moved to the 'burbs three years ago. Well done, dummies.
tamc93
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Sadly the exodus from Austin is coming to the burbs. Look at WILCO and Hays.
Martin Cash
AG
rathAG05 said:

Would spicewood be included in the tax increase? I live in spicewood but just still inside Travis county.
Spicewood is not Austin, so, no.
tamc93
AG
Martin Cash said:

rathAG05 said:

But it is Travis County...no way that they do not eventually have the county pay for something.
dmart90
AG
tamc93 said:

AustinAg2012 said:

Sadly the exodus from Austin is coming to the burbs. Look at WILCO and Hays.
Sorry, Wilco is closed. The moose out front shoulda told ya!
Tobias Funke
AG
Why are people saying this is a 25% increase? Not arguing, just curious (Bc I moved into Austin literally one week ago)

From KXAN:
Quote:

While the city's tax rate would be set at 20.4% under Prop A, most residents will only see an increase of 3.8% over last year's bill.
Martin Cash
AG
tamc93 said:

Martin Cash said:

rathAG05 said:

But it is Travis County...no way that they do not eventually have the county pay for something.
This was a City of Austin proposition. Has nothing to do with the county.
Martin Cash
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Why are people saying this is a 25% increase? Not arguing, just curious (Bc I moved into Austin literally one week ago)

From KXAN:
Quote:

While the city's tax rate would be set at 20.4% under Prop A, most residents will only see an increase of 3.8% over last year's bill.

That's because they are talking about the total tax bill. City, county and school. City taxes WILL go up 24.6%.
BQ78
AG
Well tax rates in Travis County are pretty low, so this shouldn't be a big hit to the average citizen.
tamc93
AG
Martin Cash said:

tamc93 said:

Martin Cash said:

rathAG05 said:

This was a City of Austin proposition. Has nothing to do with the county.
Fully understand that it is the City. My point is the county will eventually chip in something or ask for a bond to support the efforts or some aspect of it.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Damn shame I'm out in hays co but still have an austin address. This prop does absolutely nothing for me
XXXVII
Does this affect every address that is inside the Travis county limits?
PabloSerna
AG
La Migra said:

But I've been assured by posters who are lol...dangerously informed that this is good for the long run.

The only thing this is good for are the developers/property owners around the stops for these light rail lines.

Haha... I was being honest. I'm not a Planner or Developer by profession, however, I do a lot of work with both and we discuss Austin politics quite a bit. 80% of my work (as an architect) is in Travis Co., most of it within the city limits of Austin - so I will claim first hand knowledge of the Land Development Code, Code Next, and future planning efforts going on that affect my practice.

I will put it this way - former Police Chief Art Acevedo criticized "Austinonians" for thinking big but voting small. He argued that Austin was NOT the small, weird town of the Armadillo Headquarters fame. Rather it was one of the fastest growing communities in the USA and needed to start thinking ahead.

In my opinion Prop A is thinking way ahead and that bodes well for the future of Austin and the surrounding communities. It is as Mayor Adler has declared... "transformative". Austin is shifting from reliance on the automobile and putting their chips on public transportation.

That is a - build it and they will ride it - attitude. It will take time. But ask yourself, as I have asked on here already, given all the growth issues now - what is your answer? Shutting it down and telling people don't move here is putting your head in the sand. They are coming and more as Tesla, Apple, and other industries relocate to the Austin boom.

I'm pro-business and Prop A will be the better bet in the long term for connecting people to great places in and around Austin. Seriously, people want to keep widening the roads and adding parking lots?? That is not advisable.

+pablo
tamc93
AG
PabloSerna said:

That is a - build it and they will ride it - attitude. It will take time. But ask yourself, as I have asked on here already, given all the growth issues now - what is your answer? Shutting it down and telling people don't move here is putting your head in the sand. They are coming and more as Tesla, Apple, and other industries relocate to the Austin boom.

I'm pro-business and Prop A will be the better bet in the long term for connecting people to great places in and around Austin. Seriously, people want to keep widening the roads and adding parking lots?? That is not advisable.

Admire your spark and because of folks like you I make a great living navigating the codes and permitting process in Austin.

Austin has been trying to shut down development for years and this is just another way.

Yes we want roads and parking lots - we are not an densely urbanized area and rely on cost effective transportation. The current choo choo can not cover its expenses so why should someone vote to build more of something that needs to be subsidized. Austin complains about affordability and just tossed it all out (again).

Businesses will close once the tax burden is passed down to them from the landlords. Renters will leave once the tax burden is passed down to them from landlords.

This will be a vicious cycle and will continue until fiscal restraint occurs (and this is just one program).

PabloSerna
AG
Will bookmark this for future reference.

I know I run in "certain" left leaning circles - I try to understand the other side, but I do not hear a comprehensive answer to rapid growth. The City Council, the Mayor, and City Staff have an obligation to figure it out. They hire study after study by the experts and this is what the experts are saying, namely Prop A.

Affordability is discussed by the way. I won't bore you with the details, but it begins with workforce housing along transit zones and mix-use arterials. Bad planning for years has led to the problems Austin is facing and is now on the path to fix.

CowtownEng
PabloSerna said:

I know I run in "certain" left leaning circles - I try to understand the other side, but I do not hear a comprehensive answer to rapid growth.

This is an easy one - let the free market determine the most effective solution.
Aggieangler93
AG
PabloSerna said:

I know I run in "certain" left leaning circles - I try to understand the other side, but I do not hear a comprehensive answer to rapid growth. The City Council, the Mayor, and City Staff have an obligation to figure it out. They hire study after study by the experts and this is what the experts are saying, namely Prop A.

Affordability is discussed by the way. I won't bore you with the details, but it begins with workforce housing along transit zones and mix-use arterials. Bad planning for years has led to the problems Austin is facing and is now on the path to fix.

Bad planning has been here for 50 years. But guess what? Attempting the same solution they failed with 20 years ago, doesn't make it suddenly good planning!!! This is more of the same ****, as they cannot think logically enough to understand the difference between Portland, OR, NYC, or any other place, and the sprawling Texas urban landscape. I've lived here my whole life, and this is just more of the same pig with a different color lipstick, trussed up in a homeless shopping cart.

Who do you think would want to live in what you call "workforce housing"? Would the folks in Tarrytown sell their McMansions for pennies on the dollar, so that the city could throw up some concrete block apartments?

I don't live in the Austin city limits. Their total disregard for the taxpayer the last 30 years has shown me buying there would not be wise. I do not see them changing that at any point.

Take a look at Houston or Dallas. Those are large spawling urban areas in Texas that are much more successful than Austin. You know why? They add lanes to highways, and support commuters with multi-occupant vehicle incentives etc. They don't try to make the whole world think a damn train will solve the problem. Trains are good at moving freight. They generally suck at efficiently moving large bodies of people. Unless everyone that uses the system only needs to go from the same starting point to the exact same destination. Otherwise, you walk 5 miles in 100 degree weather or in pouring down rain. It was naive to think people would ride it the first time they did it, and it should be criminal to propose it this time around.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Martin Cash
AG
PabloSerna said:

I know I run in "certain" left leaning circles - I try to understand the other side, but I do not hear a comprehensive answer to rapid growth. The City Council, the Mayor, and City Staff have an obligation to figure it out. They hire study after study by the experts and this is what the experts are saying to tell them what they want to hear, namely Prop A.

500,000ags
AG
I'm on the fence as far as predicting how useful this will be. Kind of depends on Austin's growth rate. Austin added 178k people in the 2010s. That's just Austin and not the metro area. I'm on the side that this growth is going to increase substantially. If Austin adds another 400k in the next 20 years, these projects (plus the larger airport plans) might be beneficial.
PabloSerna
AG
Concrete block apartments is not what workforce housing is my friend. It's more like row housing mix over commercial. The prevailing wisdom is that large block housing and single use development are the death of a vibrant city.

This is a case in point where terms are important. The City of Austin spent a ton of money to arrive at Prop A. I'm sure if one is motivated enough to understand what Project Conmect is all about - one could visit a website and get some valuable information.

PabloSerna
AG
Yes I agree - take a look at Dallas and Houston.

We just don't agree that the future of transportation is centered around an automobile. And apparently - Austin voters don't agree with that idea either.

PabloSerna
AG
Free market?

Just so I understand you - As Mayor of Austin, given the growth over the past 20 years and the incredible projections for the next 20 years - you would hire the best team of Economists to advise you and the City Council instead of the best Planners, Architects, and Engineers???

I'm asking a serious question. People don't like taxes I get it - but you have to plan or companies like Tesla, Apple, Google, Army Future Command, Amazon - will not even be on the radar.

EDIT to add that I'm sure those AE Teams have pretty good economic advisors too. Just that the emphasis is on planning where to grow instead of doing nothing.
Aggieangler93
AG
PabloSerna said:

We just don't agree that the future of transportation is centered around an automobile. And apparently - Austin voters don't agree with that idea either.

This is my point exactly. Maybe they should look at a continuous escalator from Leander to Dripping Springs? Surely that would make great sense, just like the empty train. I don't need a website to know that nothing intelligent will come from CofA anytime soon. But that's because I have seen most of this same combo of crap from them 20 years ago. How long have you been in the area?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
PabloSerna
AG
We moved to Austim in 1991. So quite a bit. If free market is the answer - help me understand how that looks? More roads?
Come Out Roll
AG
PabloSerna said:

It's this type of thinking that has gotten the CofA into the predicament they are in. It's not what is actually working/not working, but it's what they THINK will work in the next 20 years. To suggest that Texans are going to gladly give up their trucks (and their freedom) to ride some damn train (that, by the way, isn't being ridden NOW), just to go downtown or to the airport is folly. Understand why this particular bond was initiated: to support landowners by proposed terminal locations. PERIOD. And guess who owns land by one (or more) of the proposed stations?? You guessed it....your very own Mayor. Always follow the money. ALWAYS.

I live outside the city, in Wllmsn county....and wouldn't live in the city if I was paid to.....
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I moved to South Austin in January 2019 and voted against Prop A, but I am not surprised that Austin voters passed Prop A.
MouthBQ98
AG
They love their own personal idea of it, but have zero concept of the reality of it, and that they've been sold a false vision of the disappointing reality. Chasing west coast cities with obsolete ideas and spending hundreds of millions on amenities that very few use while leaving major problems almost completely unsolved will not end well.
Tobias Funke
AG
Having recently moved from a growing urban area (Cincinnati) that built and launched downtown light rail while I lived there, I don't have the highest expectations for it. Barely anybody uses it, the route was poorly planned out, and they can't keep their corporate sponsors on board to help offset the costs. However, I will say it did create an explosion of development along the track (we'll see how long that lasts).

Anyway, I know every city is different, but I'm skeptical.
PabloSerna
AG
Wait, so help me understand... it's OK for Trump to be a successful business person AND hold a publicly elected office - but not Mayor Adler??

That is just one example of people with supposedly a conflict - in my experience, it is more often the case where public officials are lawyers, real estate developers, professionals, etc. I don't have a problem with that so long as they play by the rules.
PabloSerna
AG
As for planning and cars... we know many Texans of a certain age love their cars/trucks. They are not planning for us per se - studies are showing a growing shift among younger people away from the automobile and toward walkable/transit oriented communities.

I know it is hard to believe - I couldn't wait to buy my first car with my own money. With a larger turn out of younger voters - the majority have spoken. I happen to think the data is right that Austin will grow in a different way than Dallas or Houston. I also think that will be a good thing given the shift away from fossil fuels and inner city revitalization.

PabloSerna
AG
Is it a 25% increase or 4%? Doing some digging around on the City of Austin's Project Connect website doesn't show 25% increase - so where did you get that number?

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The cost is too high and with the work location paradigm shifting it may will likely never make fiscal sense. I did not vote for it.

However, there will be benefits:

It will serve a need and serve as an enticement for more major companies. Austin, struggles with having major headquarters here. To support future growth, we do need to bring in more major employers like Tesla. The only major employers head quartered here are:

• Dell
  • The universities/schools
  • The government (no surprise, government employees vote for more government spending)
  • Hospitals (management is still out of state though)

It will provide an alternative to cars, especially with the new route to the airport.
It will help with tourism, Uber/Cabs in Austin are terrible this will make them irrelevant for tourist and business travel
The transit tunnels will make them faster in traffic without creating more
It will address a priority of the Austin majority. It was the majority voted for, so like it our not that's democracy
There will be jobs to build this thing
It will connect east austin to the rest of us and make the Expo center, convention center, big ass library and living in manor/elgin easier for folks who want to live downtown. It would be better if the rail went to Oak Hill and Mueller rather than the rapid bus, it should have also gone to all the park and ride facilities
A challenge will be building dense living (work force housing as PS describes) on the routes especially in Historic neighborhoods
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.