Austin
Sponsored by

Austin Hotels

2,423 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aggiederelict
beachfront71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heading to Aus in few weeks with the wife and our 4 yo daughter.

Where do we stay?
Looking for high end resort style and it looks like Omni Barton is really the only choice which is fine but want to make sure there isn't anything else we should consider...

Did look at a few in town but the covid restrictions in town seem to be pretty strict especially when you only have 1 small pool..

How is downtown right now? are restaurants open, etc? or should we just avoid it all together? We are coming out to look at houses so really don't need to be downtown at all..

Thanks for any input and any dinner suggestions west of austin are appreciated,,
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
Omni Barton Creek was redone recently and I had a really nice stay there pre-covid. Pool area is beautiful and gym is substantial if that matters. You will have to drive everywhere. Food is OK.

The fairmont downtown has a super nice and large pool overlooking downtown that is pretty family friendly during the day. Unsure of the covid restrictions. Walkable to lots of things. I had some good meals here.

Lakeway resort is a step down from the Omni, but still a nice property with a great family and adults only pool and hottub overlooking Lake Travis. You should be fine managing covid restrictions here. Onsite restaurant leaves much to be desired. Pretty far from downtown if that matters. You mentioned west - so maybe this works. There are plenty of good restaurants in Lakeway.

I assume you have ruled out hyatt lost pines? That is the best family friendly resort and pool, but very inconvenient if you are heading to west austin.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Pro tip:
Get a hotel that the City Council hasn't turned into a homeless shelter.

The City dwellers will be along shortly. They will guide you in the right direction and know a lot of restaurants. Have fun house hunting.
Austintm
I work downtown, but only go in about once a week these days. Downtown is dead. There are some restaurants open, but, thanks to Mayor Adler's homeless policies, there are tent cities in certain places, especially along Cesar Chavez. There are no resort hotels downtown. Fairmont is great, but it's a convention hotel, not a resort hotel. Your suggestion of Barton Creek is the best bet, and better than Lakeway resort. The Hyatt Lost Pines is very nice as well (and great for kids), but 30 minutes to downtown. It has a lazy river, and in general is more of a kid-friendly place than the Omni.
Mookie
AG
Saw some pics of the fairmont pool from a friend from over the weekend. Definitely not family friendly LOL
stamper
AG
Mookie said:

Saw some pics of the fairmont pool from a friend from over the weekend. Definitely not family friendly LOL

Better go ahead and post them so we can all make up our own minds
Sandman98
AG
Don't stay anywhere near downtown. It's a glorified slum. Stay at Lost Pines especially if you have kids.
evan_aggie
AG
West Austin? Maybe Steiner ranch steakhouse.

This probably needn't be said, but if you are going from looking to buying, then definitely be ready later to make a move the same day.

Demand is insane right now with most homes having multiple offers in a weekend.

In have some younger friends trying to buy their first house and they are losing out to above-asking prices by $15k, $25k in one case.
AggieOO
I'll say it...don't move here, we are full.
The Silverback
AG
Austin doesn't have the bet options for family friendly resorts....Lost Pines is great but in Bastrop.

We did a staycation with 3 youngish kids at Fairmont last summer and had a blast, was borderline "kid friendly" at the pool but was fine. I know at times people can rage there but not as bad as the W.

Downtown isn't worth going though right now IMO. I would try possibly Lakeway Inn, nice pool and can rent a boat from the marina (although boats get booked a long ways out).

Omni would be a good spot as well but other than pool not much to do for young kids and good food would be a decent drive away.
Mookie
AG
Based on the pics I saw you don't really want to see them. Let's just day I'm surprised there isn't a weight limit at a rooftop pool.
BlazingSaddles
I can say that we stayed at Barton Creek two weeks ago and it was great. Hardly anyone there and it was very clean/lots of precautions (if you're worried about Covid).

We were there in the middle of the week and checked out on a Thursday. It was definitely getting more crowded because they were about to start issuing wristbands for pool entry.

I had a friend who stayed at Hyatt Lost Pines and said they wouldn't go back. I won't get into a long story about all of his travel, but it's extensive to say the least. 20+ years of 250+ days internationally.

He said if you're concerned about Covid, Lost Pines will make you much more concerned. He said it was mainly the guests, though some staff too. These are all his words not mine, but I trust him. For reference, he and his family have been to Disney World twice since it reopened and Mexico twice. When they came to our house on their way out of Austin/Bastrop, they didn't even come in, we hung out on the porch.

I might add the Four Seasons to your list. We do not have children so I can't say what there may be there for them, but it's a nice place with a nice spa, pool, and fitness facility. Surprisingly quiet given its location. Staff is excellent and the new bar on the first floor is great with cocktails.
Austintm
Four Seasons is great. Issue, as I mentioned above, is that I'd avoid downtown for now. Dead, lots of homeless camping about 2 blocks from the Four Seasons, and you never know when there is going to be a protest in Austin, which will be downtown.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Downtown is relatively dead right now but you have the lake to paddle board on or you can rent a boat on Lake Austin.

Lost pines is fun but super dated it needs a major face lift.

If you can swing it, I'd stay at St. Cecilia
javajaws
AG
Archer hotel at the Domain?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Archer at Domain would be good for sure
Billy Foster
AG
We're in Austin as well and did Lakeway Resort last month with my 2 and 7 year olds for a few days to get out of the house. Very family friendly and the pool is great for that age although the slide does have a height restriction. We saw a few families surprised by this as you could tell it was big let down. It was probably a big part of why they went there. Everything felt safe. The only things not open were the Spa, gym and the Kid Zone (separate Bldg). Good thing about Lakeway is there are lots of other restaurants to go to. We didn't eat at the resort except for lunch by the pool. Breakfast from a local spot on Lakeway Blvd (to go) and dinner at a few close restaurants off 620.

I don't like Lost Pines even when I'm not paying for it. It's run down, generally over crowded although prob not right now, and the food is bad & overpriced.
Furlock Bones
AG
Billy Foster said:

We're in Austin as well and did Lakeway Resort last month with my 2 and 7 year olds for a few days to get out of the house. Very family friendly and the pool is great for that age although the slide does have a height restriction. We saw a few families surprised by this as you could tell it was big let down. It was probably a big part of why they went there. Everything felt safe. The only things not open were the Spa, gym and the Kid Zone (separate Bldg). Good thing about Lakeway is there are lots of other restaurants to go to. We didn't eat at the resort except for lunch by the pool. Breakfast from a local spot on Lakeway Blvd (to go) and dinner at a few close restaurants off 620.

I don't like Lost Pines even when I'm not paying for it. It's run down, generally over crowded although prob not right now, and the food is bad & overpriced.
my wife and i did Lakeway Resort a couple of months ago as well. really was better than i expected.

rented a boat from Lakeway Marina as well. simple process. 20 foot runabout was in great condition. just make you make your rental reservation a few days in advance.
CapCity12thMan
AG
a couple of maybe not so familiar options:

Sonesta Bee Cave: https://www.sonesta.com/us/texas/bee-cave/sonesta-bee-cave-austin. On property with Hill Country Galleria (https://www.hillcountrygalleria.com/), close to Lakeway, away from Downtown with plenty to do. Wife will probably like the shopping at the HCG. Not much of a bar scene, but some good restaurants in and around BeeCave

Hotel Granduca: https://granducaaustin.com/

Also try: https://www.waybackaustin.com/. Again, sure the wife would love it....very small property and quaint with a small pool. Driving past it everyday it doesn't appear to be crowded. This is also 10 minutes from Bee Cave/HCG and 12 minutes from downtown.
beachfront71
AG
Thanks everyone, ended up going w/ Barton creek, all we really wanted was some good (not crowded) pools and it looks like they have a few.
We are spending 3 days looking at neighborhoods on both sides of lake austin as well as lakeway so should be a good home base.
aggiederelict
Wife and I are staying at Hotel ZaZa sans kid. Great place for couples. Excellent service. We just did poolside and had dinner out there last night. Went for a run this morning and saw some of the homeless crowd. No issues but it is really annoying to see it growing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.