Austin
Sponsored by

Windsor Park Bums

6,677 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Keeper of The Spirits
Aggietaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stolen from r/Austin. This is infuriating for homeowners that have to live with this in their back yard. Is the only resolution for this to leave Austin since our leadership turns a blind eye to any negativity surrounding homelessness and vagrants in the area?

The Fall Guy
AG
I feel bad for the homeowners dealing with this. One reason I moved into Hays County in 2010 was the vagrants. Lived in South Austin and the greenbelts even then we're unsafe for me and my son to walk the trails. Many encounters with vagrants under the bridges on Brodie lane and William Cannon. Wanted my son to be able to enjoy nature without the danger of needles and disease..

God Bless the ones who see this and don't turn a blind eye.
Charpie
AG
At some point, something massive is gonna happen and the city council will have to change their minds about this.
Frozen Concoction
It's interesting that 12-15 years ago they went in and cracked down on all the drug use/dealing and prostitution in that neighborhood prior to the development at Mueller. A friend described it as if a neutron bomb had gone off and crime practically vanished.
Aggietaco
AG
Charpie said:

At some point, something massive is gonna happen and the city council will have to change their minds about this.
You would think that trashing our town this badly and open use of some pretty nasty substances would drive the family and nature friendly City to action. Sad to think its going to take rape/murder to make a change.
Charpie
AG
It really is.
jopatura
AG
Aggietaco said:

Charpie said:

You would think that trashing our town this badly and open use of some pretty nasty substances would drive the family and nature friendly City to action. Sad to think its going to take rape/murder to make a change.

That already happened with the UT student and nothing changed.
TyHolden
AG
He called APD and it wasn't taken care of?
The Fall Guy
AG
Their hands are tied with protesting and the City Councils handling of the homeless. Video says August of this year.

Too many camps in the City to count. Go to Google earth and you can find them.
Federale01
AG
A complete failure by the city. Disgusting. But we all knew this was going to be the result of repealing the camping ordinances.
Aggietaco
AG
jopatura said:

Aggietaco said:

Charpie said:

That already happened with the UT student and nothing changed.
True, but that was also UT jurisdiction and not APD. Maybe it was too long ago now and social justice is more important that a single teenage girl?
Federale01
AG
The guy who killed the UT student wasn't really homeless. He ran away from his foster home in Killeen. He wasn't considered one of the area's homeless by many.
CowtownEng
Wow.
Potcake
AG
This may be the same guy as in OP video.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/neighbors-worry-about-drugs-litter-feces-as-homeless-camp-grows-in-windsor-park-neighborhood/
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Charpie said:

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/apd-suspect-from-fatal-south-congress-stabbing-attack-has-died

How quickly the Council forgets...
The Fall Guy
AG
The fact of the matter is the Council does not care. I was on the City of Austin Anti Graffiti team in Austin from 2000 to 2007. Went to City Hall. Had an APD officer, 1 officer assigned for the whole town. Biggest waste of time. The council didn't care back then. Look where that got them. It's cool now to tag.
Aggietaco
AG
The anti graffiti team?
Aggietaco
AG
Potcake said:

This may be the same guy as in OP video.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/neighbors-worry-about-drugs-litter-feces-as-homeless-camp-grows-in-windsor-park-neighborhood/
Seeing as how they have the same name, I'm going to assume so. Good for him for getting some visibility.
Potcake
AG
I never saw a name in your video
500,000ags
AG
Progressives have gone off the deep end on homelessness. I get they want to protect all groups these days, but there is zero initiative to differentiate between mental health, life style choice, and drug addicts. The solution is to have citizens and law enforcement just lay down to all three.
500,000ags
AG
User error.
500,000ags
The Fall Guy
AG
Yep they got a person from each section of town to be on the team to report Graffiti and the ways to clean it up. I was in South Austin off of Manchaca and Davis Ln. Not much then but got worse as time went on. Like I said 1 officer assigned for the whole city. The city was just doing a gesture and not action.
Aggietaco
AG
Potcake said:

I never saw a name in your video
No worries. It says it in the bottom right of the video the entire time and the name of the channel is the guy's name.
Aggietaco
AG
The Fall Guy said:

Yep they got a person from each section of town to be on the team to report Graffiti and the ways to clean it up. I was in South Austin off of Manchaca and Davis Ln. Not much then but got worse as time went on. Like I said 1 officer assigned for the whole city. The city was just doing a gesture and not action.
Huh, I just assumed that graffiti on private property was reported to 311/911 as vandalism and paint on public property was just handled by the various maintenance outfits.
Potcake
AG
Not on my phone. I just watched on laptop and it showed up.
The Fall Guy
AG
It was more of a group of people to report if the graffiti was getting worse. We learned all the gang tags etc. So if we saw a tag we didn't know we took a pic to give to the officer. In my area it was evident the gangs were going further West from IH 35. Manchaca was kind of a stopping point at the time. West of Manchaca you started getting some nicer neighborhoods except for the pockets of govt housing. I don't think 311 was there then. Who knows.

It was obvious though the City wasn't going to spend money to do anything. The officer then said so.
Furlock Bones
AG
emando2000
AG
I really don't understand the mentality of our decision makers, they're completely failing IMO. How does one not foresee this happening? The changes I've seen are port-a-potties placed in some areas, people visiting with them every now and then and a periodic clean up. For those that are taking time out of their day to hand out water bottles and visiting with them...You're not helping them. Sure they may enjoy your company and free handouts momentarily but they forget about you as soon as you leave.

Our city's focus is on bigger development and de-funding police.

I get the bigger development. The small city feel of Austin is a thing of the past. The 2nd one, I don't get. We have handcuffed our officers so much that all of this is going by the wayside right now. No one is addressing it. If you talk to a cop you'll realize that Austin can be a pretty dangerous place, it's just not really reported.
AgGrad99
AG
What blows my mind, is that we have CLEAR examples of certain policies not working. Just look at California cities, Seattle, Portland, etc...and do not copy them. Their policies have completely and utterly failed in countless ways.

Yet what does our city council do? Sprint towards any measure that copies those failed policies.
Martin Cash
AG
Aggietaco said:

Stolen from r/Austin. This is infuriating for homeowners that have to live with this in their back yard. Is the only resolution for this to leave Austin since our leadership turns a blind eye to any negativity surrounding homelessness and vagrants in the area?

They don't turn a blind eye. They encourage and celebrate the bums.
fig96
AG
In this case I wonder if "defunding the police" isn't necessarily a bad idea, not meaning that as a political comment but as far as taking the onus of this off the police and getting someone in charge of the homeless problem who can actually take action. As we're seeing with current regulations the police aren't able to do much, a program funded and put in place to address these issues that are being ignored would probably be a lot more effective.

Either way it's going to take the city acknowledging the issue which doesn't seem to be happening, sorry for anyone having to deal with this.
t-shirt fan
Maybe the city should spend another 60m, and then it'll fix the homeless issue once and for all.
el_scorcho
AG
How about we continue to fund the police as we do now and we use the revenue from the constantly increasing property taxes to fund a department that is responsible for handling the homeless?
emando2000
AG
I have no idea how to fix the issue but giving more & allowing them to continue as is cannot be the way. Homeless have 2 main choices... jail or rehab, that's it. People that promote assistance need to stop pretending there are more than the two and realize the homeless don't want to help themselves. They need to rid themselves of addiction and the way of life they've grown accustomed to.

And another thing. The cost of living in Austin is a problem and gives them no hope. Where would one even start other than rehab? Where can they find work? I have a couple of friends & some coworkers in my time that lived in the affordable areas. You should hear some of their stories of the crime in those areas.

People that live in Windsor area paid way too much for their home to have that in their back yard!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.