Austin
Sponsored by

RIP Dart Bowl

4,761 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JBenn06
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/dart-bowl-closing-permanently-this-friday
Potcake
AG
Damn
512Ag
AG
Billy Foster
Billy Foster
AG
RIP the enchilada plate. Ate a lot of meals there in high school.
expresswrittenconsent
Damn, where am I going to learn to ride a motorcycle now?
chet98
AG
Lots of good times there. Each of my kids had a birthday there so we have a few pins painted up with their name, etc. Also had my 35th birthday there many moons ago and then proceeded to barf up white russians all night afterwards. Good times.
Potcake
AG
https://goo.gl/maps/TeBYv5g21BzbUF6v7
Aust Ag
AG
Everybody go to Top Notch this week!! Save Top Notch!
Potcake
AG
Mmmmm, tots
Billy Foster
AG
Hopefully the owners would close down an underperforming galaxy cafe before shutting down an Austin landmark, especially one setup for takeout. But that's a good call, should go grab a #4 soon.
expresswrittenconsent
The diner was legit but bowling (which was huge from mid 50s to mid 80s) hasn't been a popular sport or entertainment option in America for over 30 years now. Kind of surprised they held out so long in a spot where the land could hold a dozen 700k condos.

Showplace Lanes, the amazing wonder of late 80s/early 90s austin bowling has been a school for close to a decade and its in the worst real estate part of town.
HTownAg98
Billy Foster said:

RIP the enchilada plate. Ate a lot of meals there in high school.

The enchilada recipe is worth more than the bowling alley.
Aggietaco
AG
Time to visit Highland Lanes and the lebowski grill.
Potcake
AG
I went to DB at 11:00 and the line was 20+ deep and no distancing. I lasted 10 minutes. I went for the nostalgia, enchiladas aren't good enough to trade for Covid.
BurnetAggie99
BurnetAggie99
12 corn tortillas, softened
12 ounces grated mild cheddar cheese
cup minced onion

Ancho Chile Sauce (prepare ahead, recipe follows)
Using about of the cheese, place a small amount just off-center in each tortilla, sprinkle on some of the onion, and roll up. Place enchiladas in a shallow baking pan. Ladle sauce over enchiladas, sprinkle with remaining cheese (and additional onion, if you'd like), and back at 350 degrees until cheese melts and the sauce bubbles.

Ancho Chile Sauce
4 ancho chiles (dried poblanos)
2 T. oil
2 oz. ground beef
2 T. flour
1 tsp. ground cumin
c. tomato sauce
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt.

Using kitchen tongs to turn them, toast chiles on a griddle or skillet over medium heat until just fragrant (20 to 30 seconds each side). Rinse chiles under cold water, remove stems and most of the seeds and veins, chop coarsely, and place in blender. Fill blender with very hot water and soak chiles for 20 minutes.

Discard soaking water. Add 1 cup of fresh water to chiles and blend mixture until smooth. Add another 3 cups water and blend again. Pour mixture through a strainer into a bowl, pressing lightly. Set aside.

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add ground beef, and cook until browned, stirring constantly. Add flour and continue cooking and stirring for about 2 minutes. Add cumin, then stir in about cup of the pureed chiles, allowing to thicken, then add the rest of the puree. Add tomato sauce, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer.

While the sauce is simmering, grind garlic and oregano to a paste in a spice grinder or molcajete. Add the paste to the sauce, stir in salt, and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and use in a recipe.
Austintm
BurnetAggie99 said:

Where's the Texas toast and tortillas?
CapCity12thMan
AG
you've never had anything better than sopping up that metal pan of enchilada sauce with texas toast
expresswrittenconsent
CapCity12thMan said:

you've never had anything better than sopping up that metal pan of enchilada sauce with texas toast

False.
1. Best thing to soak with texas toast is steak juice.
2. Best way to sop up enchilada gravy and refried beans is homemamde flour tortillas made from lard.
JBenn06
AG
This is heartbreaking and a very big loss for my family as Dart Bowl has been a part of our family for over 50 years. My Uncle Butch opened the cafe inside of Dart Bowl and ran the business for 50 years. My Uncle Butch passed away earlier this year and my Aunt Peggy was going to help continue the business along with his other business partners. My mother worked at the cafe when she was younger along with her 6 sisters. Also many of the recipes like the amazing bread were my grandfather's. We have so many special family memories at Dart Bowl. We would have birthday parties in the cafe and family reunions at the bowling alley. So sad to see it go.

https://www.austinmonthly.com/the-holy-grail-of-cheese-enchiladas/
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/austin-tx/milton-martinets-8989881
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.