Austin
Sponsored by

Round Rock ISD online first 3 weeks

10,273 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by discobrob
cityagboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jopatura
AG
They should have just cancelled school until Labor Day. Made up the minutes/days on the backend. There's no way any actual learning is going to be done. I'm so pissed.
cityagboy
AG
jopatura said:

They should have just cancelled school until Labor Day. Made up the minutes/days on the backend. There's no way any actual learning is going to be done. I'm so pissed.
Not only will many kids not get much learning done, but I don't think you can hold kids accountable for work not done during that time
jopatura
AG
cityagboy said:

jopatura said:

Not only will many kids not get much learning done, but I don't think you can hold kids accountable for work not done during that time

From what I understand, there will be a lot more sitting in front of the computer. At least that was the TEA's requirements. Basically teachers had to teach whole classes online instead of checking in with busy work. But I'm not sure what is babble and outrage at this point. Should have just punted to Labor Day.
jah003
S
Wife is watching the meeting now. They haven't voted yet, so it's not official.
Charpie
AG
It's official now.

What do you all think about the letter that was sent out to TEA?
JW
AG
Feel sorry for the kids
Aust Ag
AG
Wonder how that effects football? We play the RR schools. I guess football in general is still up in the air.
Charpie
AG
Aust Ag said:

Wonder how that effects football? We play the RR schools. I guess football in general is still up in the air.
We find out on Friday.

BTW, Leander ISD and Eanes ISD are going to follow suit.
bbry81
Uil said you have to let students that are doing virtual learning participate in extra curricular activities. So in theory this wouldn't effect that.

My district the students have a choice to go to school or virtual learn but they all can participate in the extra stuff
cityagboy
AG
Virtual football
Charpie
AG
What I think is going to happen
  • Schools will be online
  • Extra curriculars will likely happen on campus.
This would allow for LESS kids on campus, therefore less exposure.
austinag1997
AG
Charpie said:

Aust Ag said:

We find out on Friday.

BTW, Leander ISD and Eanes ISD are going to follow suit.

If Leander follows suit, highly likely LVISD does also.
DripAG08
AG
As long as Drip doesn't follow we're good.
austinag1997
AG
All of Travis County schools delayed at least 3 weeks... will be virtual learning during that time.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/austin-travis-county-health-authority-rules-school-reopening/269-8d5c9130-38c5-45f3-9d5b-55b69f28600d
Aust Ag
AG
AustinAg008 said:

As long as Drip doesn't follow we're good.
They will, you're going to have too many nervous Moms screaming, "Look what Austin is doing, are you trying to kill our children here?!?!"
AgSoccer2007
AG
And the first 3 weeks is just a soft enough blow so parents don't lose their minds about it... once that blow softens everyone up, they'll just continually delay until they eventually cancel in-person school for the year. You heard it here first, even though we all know it's gonna happen already.
cityagboy
AG
jah003
S
[That stays on that thread on that board and will result in a ban if we have to clean up another thread. -Staff]
LostInLA07
AG
[Same warning. -Staff]
Ogre09
AG
AgSoccer2007 said:

And the first 3 weeks is just a soft enough blow so parents don't lose their minds about it... once that blow softens everyone up, they'll just continually delay until they eventually cancel in-person school for the year. You heard it here first, even though we all know it's gonna happen already.

Welcher!
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
3 weeks?!
BTHOB-98
I do not think that we are going back to school buildings this fall. They are just easing us into it again. When we get to the third week I believe it will be extended.
BTHOB-98
AgSoccer2007 said:

Exactly.
austinag1997
AG
I think there is some logic there, unfortunately. I do think this will be a "death of a thousand cuts" that will occur.

Whether you are a "get life back to normal" or a "lock everything down" person is irrelevant here.
austinag1997
AG
Double post.
cityagboy
AG
DripAG08
AG
But how many of these were in Hidalgo County or other border towns?
cityagboy
AG
AustinAg008 said:

over 130 in Texas today. Do those border counties not count? Are they not Texans? Are they not people?
Aust Ag
AG
AustinAg008 said:

The rate is 5x vs non-border counties (per capita).

Yes, these are people. But something has seriously gone awry there. Texas has issues, but the media focus and education needs to be on our border towns.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
[We saw it and we warned you. -Staff]
ReloadAg
AG
I've been saying the same thing. Why is it any "safer" in 3 weeks? They'll just keep extending it. Gotta keep up the suffering past the election. Such utter bullcrap.
discobrob
AG
Email from the district today has already changed the rhetoric. They said the first three weeks. Today's email said "we'll go back when it's safe" with no timetable mentioned. You can bet your butt I'm paying attention to TEKS this year and making sure my kids are getting a good education. I'm not letting what happened in the spring take place again.
jah003
S
discobrob said:

Email from the district today has already changed the rhetoric. They said the first three weeks. Today's email said "we'll go back when it's safe" with no timetable mentioned. You can bet your butt I'm paying attention to TEKS this year and making sure my kids are getting a good education. I'm not letting what happened in the spring take place again.
Spring was a cluster and I can assure you this will be much better. As a teacher I was actually forced to cut 90 minutes of instruction a week down to 45 minutes due to parent complaints (this is high school mind you). I've already received a tentative schedule for this year and it's actually like an in person schedule, so there should be a ton more instruction.

Be careful with the TEKS too. I cram a ton of material in each day and my kids do extremely well on STAAR, but I maybe hit 75% of the TEKS in a normal year. There's just no feasible way to cover them all.
Charpie
AG
Which high school, if you don't mind me asking
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.