Austin
Sponsored by

Round Rock ISD online first 3 weeks

10,185 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by discobrob
Aust Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was super-stressful for my wife with our 1st grader. Sounds like the older kids are fine with this...of course. But little kids, you have to be there with them almost the entire time. Tech issues? "Mom!!" Next lesson/subject "Mom!!!!" I sat in for a little bit to give her a break...yeesh. I had to read his book to him, keep him upright, unmute himself (then mute him), get him in front of the screen, make his snack, explain the next project.....and on and on. They can't really read still, so you have to do alot! All this is easy for the older kids (though my seniors last spring said it was a joke, everyone was figuring ways to "work the system", cheat).

This is not a good long-term plan for anyone with younger kids. I can't imagine how a single working Mom, or two full time working parents do it.
discobrob
AG
Reach out to the district and let them know your concerns. Big board meeting on Thursday and they can decide to push another 4 weeks. Be loud!
AgGrad99
AG
I have a Middle schooler, and High schooler in RRISD.

Overall, once they got started, it went pretty well. We'll see how that goes once it really gets rolling, but so far, so good.

One thing that frustrated me....it seemed like a lot of preparation was done in advance, which is very much appreciated. But the communication was very much lacking. The night before, and even the morning of, we started getting email after email from teachers with the links to their class, and passwords to log on, etc. With multiple kids, that would have been helpful to have a couple days in advance. It would have been nice to have organized the info prior to logging on. Instead they were fumbling through 23 emails, trying to find the info to log in for each class.

They should add a column to the students RRISD Home Access screen, with the link and password to each class. The teachers already have the ability to load grades into that screen. It would be easy to load the links. That way the student has one place they can access for everything.

Going forward, Im a little concerned about technical classes, like Math. One of mine has always visited his teachers before/after school for extra help...and I fear how this year is going to go if that's not an option, or not as available.

ReloadAg
AG
What's the best way to make our voices heard?
discobrob
AG
I don't know really. Email the board, Daniel Presley, superintendent. Comment on their Facebook posts. The people I talk to feel like it's a foregone conclusion we'll delay another 4 weeks. Completely unnecessary. Let us choose!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.