Austin
Sponsored by

How does tech/Austin economy do in the coming downturn?

1,566 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ReloadAg
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Assuming we don't get a massive virus outbreak, how do y'all think the tech business and Austin does in the downturn that's starting now? How about Austin real estate?
fig96
AG
I feel like of industry in general, tech is probably best suited to survive and potentially thrive during this. Working remotely was a pretty easy transition for most and many products can still be sold and distributed over the web.

It's all going to depend on what industries they're serving and whether their clients are sustainable through the downturn. My company does a lot of development for a multi-billion dollar food company, and while they're cutting back a bit they're still in production and need our services. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Real estate is a whole different thing, I've heard it's pretty slow from a few realtor friends but no telling how people may start to adjust. It'll probably cut back on sales in general, but if you have to move you have to move
ReloadAg
AG
I'm in residential construction in central Austin and I've stayed as busy as ever over the last couple of weeks. I have enough projects currently under way to take me through the end of the year and we're still selling and closing homes. I thought we'd see mass cancelations these last few weeks but overall we haven't seen many people back out of their contracts. We've gotten creative with how we sell and close homes so it's been interesting to watch so far.
tamc93
AG
Real estate will likely slow down until nationally things are better. Institutional money will likely pull back (did the last few times) and see what happens/what resources they need on a national level.

Long term, we will be in good shape....just hope the long term starts soon.

I am just happy that we are not in Houston and having to deal with oil/gas at the same time.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
ReloadAg
AG
Yea for sure
jopatura
AG
Tech companies will be a good spot for a year or two. The company my husband works for has said they can survive with their current clients for the rest of this year. If they can't make any new sales or clients stop renewals for support they'll be hosed.

Startups will have a tough time.
fig96
AG
I think it depends on the startup.

I bet we'll see a few businesses find a unique niche and capitalize in the current market conditions.
AggieOO
If anything, this work from home only increases the need for IT infrastructure, support, and security.

There are many facets of IT, but overall, the tech industry will be fine, IMO.
ReloadAg
AG
Agreed
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.