Austin
Sponsored by

Austin COVID-19 New Case's Daily update

28,494 Views | 205 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggietaco
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm having a hard time finding any kind of graph of case increases over time, so I thought I would just log them here so we can see the local increase for ourselves. Basing numbers off the following website:

http://www.austintexas.gov/COVID19

The past three days have been 79, 86, & 98.
TRADUCTOR

consider
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I'll post both for now, just to get a sense on the variance.

DHS-98
Atxgov - 119

.01 death rate in Texas as of today.
Caesar4
AG
This may help: https://weather.com/coronavirus
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
DHS - 119
ATXgov - 137

I'm thinking the DHS link is just a day behind the ATX gov link.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The DHS Link seems to be just a day behind, so I'm going to stop posting both.

Atxgov- 160 cases, 1 death.
SteveBott
AG
First death in Williamson county
TRADUCTOR

Not
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
179 cases, 1 death.
Aust Ag
AG
We seem to be doing pretty good so far (thank God SXSW got cancelled).

I wonder if any local officials have "projected" where they thought we would be at this point, and where they think we'll be in 2 weeks? All the doom and gloom folks say we'll be Louisiana and NYC (even their mayor) by mid-April , others say this distancing will keep the numbers from spiking. It will be interesting to watch. I think we'll pretty much know the answer by next Sunday.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
200 cases, 1 death.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
206 cases, 2 deaths
Apache
AG
I saw where a nurse at an assisted living place near Bee Cave/Mopac tested positive yesterday.
I hope they had some pretty good safeguards in place....
Texanick
AG
I have been able to find the recovery numbers for both Hays and Williamson counties, but cannot find this data for Austin. Does anyone have a place to find this data?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
244 cases, 2 deaths. Was hoping it was slowing down yesterday.

I think these are 28 spring breakers that all tested positive for it the other day.
Aust Ag
AG
Yeah, and Spring Break was 2 weeks ago. What have those kids been up to the last 2 weeks, where've they been? Ugh.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Aust Ag said:

Yeah, and Spring Break was 2 weeks ago. What have those kids been up to the last 2 weeks, where've they been? Ugh.

Well they were all in Mexico with a ton of other people when they likely got it. Just took a while to incubate I guess. Went even when cdc was strongly advising against nonessential travel. Morons
TRADUCTOR
oh
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
305 cases, 3 deaths.
SteveBott
AG
Those in Willco

55 cases
1 deceased

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/ae30cf23f70b40fda5a4804e7601eee9

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
351 cases, 3 deaths.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
430 cases, 4 deaths.
The Fall Guy
AG
460 6 deaths.

Man in his 30s is one that passed today.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
484 cases, 6 deaths
Aust Ag
AG
So, from the way I understand it. there is around a 2 weeks delay from "catching" the virus to death. We have 6 deaths. We've been on lockdown the last 2 weeks, at least. Good job, Austin!

So why is everyone all the sudden now wearing masks, and not 2 or 3 weeks ago? Were people not aware of masks' effectiveness then? So we get it down to one or two deaths in 2 or 3 weeks? Then what?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
502 cases 6 deaths.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Champ Bailey said:

502 cases 6 deaths.

That's three days of decreasing number of new cases.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Aust Ag said:

So, from the way I understand it. there is around a 2 weeks delay from "catching" the virus to death. We have 6 deaths. We've been on lockdown the last 2 weeks, at least. Good job, Austin!

So why is everyone all the sudden now wearing masks, and not 2 or 3 weeks ago? Were people not aware of masks' effectiveness then? So we get it down to one or two deaths in 2 or 3 weeks? Then what?

Originally they told everyone that you shouldn't wear the mask unless you had it, because people actually touch their own face and eyes more with a mask on, so it was increasing your chance of getting it.

Now I guess they think that most people are carriers or have it and don't realize, so it doesn't matter?
Layne Staley
AG
Did telemedicine with my Dr yesterday who is with one of the larger Austin Regional Clinic practices. They have only had two people actually tested with one positive. It makes me think the numbers are inflated not just here but everywhere.

The social distancing is either 1) working or 2) this wasn't as bad as people were hyping.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
554 cases, 7 deaths.

fig96
AG
Layne Staley said:

Did telemedicine with my Dr yesterday who is with one of the larger Austin Regional Clinic practices. They have only had two people actually tested with one positive. It makes me think the numbers are inflated not just here but everywhere.

The social distancing is either 1) working or 2) this wasn't as bad as people were hyping.
I find it kind of fascinating that people can look at places like New York and think this really wasn't that bad.
Apache
AG
Quote:

1) working

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
597 cases, 7 deaths
BadMoonRisin
AG
fig96 said:

Layne Staley said:

I find it kind of fascinating that people can look at places like New York and think this really wasn't that bad.
I find it fascinating that people can extrapolate how bad it would be in Texas by looking at numbers from a city with one of the highest population densities in the world, lowest personal vehicle ownership in the country, and highest use of mass transit.

I think it's both. Social distancing is obviously working, but its also not the Armageddon virus that it was being purported to be.

We can still social distance without having shelter in place orders.
fig96
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

fig96 said:

Layne Staley said:

I find it fascinating that people can extrapolate how bad it would be in Texas by looking at numbers from a city with one of the highest population densities in the world, lowest personal vehicle ownership in the country, and highest use of mass transit.

I think it's both. Social distancing is obviously working, but its also not the Armageddon virus that it was being purported to be.

We can still social distance without having shelter in place orders.
I'm not extrapolating anything, NYC is obviously it's own model but it's still a case study.

If we hadn't social distanced we most likely wouldn't be seeing the same numbers as they are due to lots of factors, but looking at a variety of areas around the world shows that this was in fact really bad and could've been a whole lot worse.

And I honestly don't know that we could social distance too well without having shelter in place, because people in herds are stupid.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.