Austin
Sponsored by

Who Burned Down Austin's Ugly Free Speech Grackle Statue?

3,817 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BQ78
DD88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Which one of you burned down Ganador at the City Hall?

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/austin-fire-department-releases-video-of-suspect-who-burned-ganador-the-grackle-sculpture-at-city-hall

Video at link
rather be fishing
AG
Why was it there in the first place?
Martin Cash
AG
I don't know, but his community service should be to kill a thousand real grackles.
Furlock Bones
AG
i walked by it 2 weeks ago. thought it was an ugly piece of garbage. i didn't do it. but, whomever did was a hero.
Bitter Old Man
AG
The unfortunate, but real, question is: how much did the City of Austin pay the artist to make it?
Potcake
AG
Man, y'all get bent over the weirdest s***. I dare you to try and not be pissed at something for just one day. You might like it.
expresswrittenconsent
Who's mad? It's a funny story.
Furlock Bones
AG
surprise, surprise, surprise. he's a homeless man with multiple priors. guess he wanted a few hots and a cot.

https://texas.arrests.org/search.php?fname=Rodney+&lname=Cook&fpartial=True
Aggietaco
AG
Jeebus, that latest mug shot is fantastic.
rather be fishing
AG
Aggietaco said:

Jeebus, that latest mug shot is fantastic.
Meth is a helluva drug.
AgGrad99
AG
This dude is only 59....

DD88
AG
This article says he's 67.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/afd-says-investigators-have-arrested-man-responsible-for-setting-city-hall-grackle-statue-on-fire

AgGrad99
AG
Maybe so.

His arrest record says his bday is 01/30/1961

Martin Cash
AG
AgGrad99 said:

This dude is only 59....

Is that Steve Adler?
expresswrittenconsent
Guys got a great head of hair. Not so great on the teeth.
Martin Cash
AG
I'd hate the see the other entries in this 'art' contest if a grackle was the winner.
BQ78
AG
Beautiful blue eyes too.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Meth is a hell of a drug.
RDV-1992
The combination of the crime, the video, and the mug shots has amused me. Thank you Texags community!

blackflame
AG
I wish people were a bit more educated on public art projects and a bit more empathetic to artists who put their time and creativity into their work.

This piece was a part of the People's Gallery, which is a collection of art curated by the City (not paid for outside of insurance coverage) which is on display for free in City Hall.

Wonderful thing about art is its subjective.....you may hate it and decide to add in uninformed statements to your opinion, but plenty of other people saw it for what it was, an ode to an staple animal of Austin.

Martin Cash
AG
blackflame said:

I wish people were a bit more educated on public art projects and a bit more empathetic to artists who put their time and creativity into their work.

This piece was a part of the People's Gallery, which is a collection of art curated by the City (not paid for outside of insurance coverage) which is on display for free in City Hall.

Wonderful thing about art is its subjective.....you may hate it and decide to add in uninformed statements to your opinion, but plenty of other people saw it for what it was, an ode to an staple invasive, obnoxious animal of Austin.

Furlock Bones
AG
blackflame said:

Wonderful thing about art is its subjective.....you may hate it and decide to add in uninformed statements to your opinion, but plenty of other people saw it for what it was, an ode to an staple animal of Austin.

BQ78
AG
Thinking about flagging this as a troll but not sure.
Potcake
AG
Some of the posters on this board.

blackflame
AG
I hope your'e not referring to me as the troll on this subject.....but go right ahead if so....
BQ78
AG
Would graze?
rather be fishing
AG
You bunch of stick donkeys.
elfurioso92
AG
Who's to say that this act of arson wasn't in itself an artistic expression? Perhaps the incinerated grackle represents society's lack of concern for dentistry among the itinerant.
BQ78
AG
As an expert on Potcake's suggestion, I know what end of that stick will be inserted and which one won't.
BQ78
AG
So did they dismiss the charges against this poor man who was ahead of his time by two months?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.