Austin
Sponsored by

Youth Baseball (South)

1,323 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by docb
aggielax48
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for some insight into youth baseball in the south part of town. My two oldest boys will be in 10U and 6U this spring. We've been playing at Manchaca, but just moved out toward Dripping Springs. For reference, both boys are above average players but not top of the league all stars.

I wanted to stay at Manchaca due to relationships we have and the competitiveness of the league but started to lean toward moving to Dripping due to distance and getting the kids more involved in the area with kids they go to school with. However, talking with another parent from our neighborhood, they seem to push their select program and I don't want to end up in a watered down rec league.

I know Oak Hill is another option but if we're going to switch I'd rather go to Dripping.

TIA for any insight.
putu
AG
Oak Hill is the most competitive and for the most part, well run. We went back and forth a few seasons between them and Dripping Rec.

My son just made the 10U DS Select team, so that's where we're staying for a while.

DSYSA Rec seems to be losing a lot of kids to all the select teams that have popped up in the area. Especially the older they get. 10U is still pretty good though.

We made the switch to DS just because that's the schools they will attend and we wanted to meet more locals vs. Oak Hill, where they come from all over SW Austin.

The Silverback
AG
I am coaching my sons 6U team at Oak Hill this Spring....from my understanding its either Oak Hill or Select ball in SW Austin. Don't think any other league comes close to Oak Hill in terms of amount of players/teams, facilities and competitiveness.
HECUBUS
AG
+1 for Oak Hill
Select at that age only if you have no other choice and Oak Hill is one of the best.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
Oak Hill is a good organization, one of the most consistently high performing rec leagues in the area. We have played at Manchaca for 7 years and it is a solid organization.

One thing to consider: they're 10 and 6. In my experience them playing with and against their friends, along with the opportunity for me to coach/asst. coach both of them was pretty high on the charts for both my boys. Both boys (11 and 7) left Manchaca for after last spring as the all star teams they were on then basically splintered off and formed their own select teams this past fall. We may get whipped pretty good for the first bit of the season, but, they still get to play with their friends and I still get to coach. win-win for us.

Even in a good rec league, it all comes down to the team dynamics and skill as to what exact experience your kiddos will have. good luck.
docb
AG
Architelico said:

Oak Hill is a good organization, one of the most consistently high performing rec leagues in the area. We have played at Manchaca for 7 years and it is a solid organization.

One thing to consider: they're 10 and 6. In my experience them playing with and against their friends, along with the opportunity for me to coach/asst. coach both of them was pretty high on the charts for both my boys. Both boys (11 and 7) left Manchaca for after last spring as the all star teams they were on then basically splintered off and formed their own select teams this past fall. We may get whipped pretty good for the first bit of the season, but, they still get to play with their friends and I still get to coach. win-win for us.

Even in a good rec league, it all comes down to the team dynamics and skill as to what exact experience your kiddos will have. good luck.
You can still win in select baseball. It will be an adjustment. We went through that at 9U and now my son is at 12U. I'd say we win 75% of our games and have won or runner up in at least 10 tournaments. You can still coach. Our team is just dads coaching their kids just like it was when we played. No need for a paid coach at a very young age IMO. Keep it fun for them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.