Austin
Sponsored by

Franklin's for lunch today

2,949 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gramercy Riffs
southernskies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If I leave work at 11AM you think there will be a significant line to get some food? What are my odds of getting out of there by noon?
AggieOO
unless things have changed drastically....your chances at either are LOL.

hopefully you can work remote, have a hot spot on your phone, and were posting this question at 8:15 from the line.
MouthBQ98
AG
Yes and poor. It's not always bad but there's always a line.
expresswrittenconsent
Zero.
southernskies
Think I'll just go to Micklthwaites
Martin Cash
AG
southernskies said:

Think I'll just go to Micklthwaites
Smart move. Plenty of good BBQ you don't have to stand in line for 3 days to get.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
You have a better chance showing up at 1 or 2 and getting whats left if anything or stopping by the breakfast taco trailer he just opened at 8am.
Aust Ag
AG
With now years of long lines, why doesn't Franklin's either A) Expand or B) Open up another location? I mean, doing either will be a cash cow.
JCRiley09
AG
The Franklin brand is already a cash cow and the exclusivity of that line and that location is part of the brand. He's not stifling his creativity though. He's partnered with other chefs to open Loro and Kemuri Tatsuya
SteveBott
AG
He has absolute land use restrictions. He has maxed out that location so cannot expand. He also cannot run two separate pits at same time.

And he is printing money as is. He does not have a problem to fix.
tamc93
AG
SteveBott said:

And he is printing money as is. He does not have a problem to fix.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Also if you have met Aaron or watched any of his pbs videos or MasterClass you'd know he's not in it for the money.
chipotle
He's in it for the Q
wargograw
Aust Ag said:

With now years of long lines, why doesn't Franklin's either A) Expand or B) Open up another location? I mean, doing either will be a cash cow.
Or raise prices. I would pay $50 to eat there with no line.
Aust Ag
AG
Well exactly, ha...he's leaving money on the table!

I have no doubt he's raking in cash at the one store, but damn, that's very rare not to expand the brand. Even Blacks, Coopers , etc have done it and with success. I went to the new Coopers at A&M last month and it was damn good and very busy. Not saying he has to go crazy and start franchising. I'm just surprised we haven't even seen a 2nd store. Maybe he is what someone said above, not interested in the money and just the craft. That is incredibly rare then. Meanwhile, others pick up the slack around town and sell more quality Q.
expresswrittenconsent
wargograw said:

Aust Ag said:

Or raise prices. I would pay $50 to eat there with no line.

You can do that. It's called pre-order and pretty much all of the 'wait in line' places offer it.
JAW3336
AG
JCRiley09 said:

The Franklin brand is already a cash cow and the exclusivity of that line and that location is part of the brand. He's not stifling his creativity though. He's partnered with other chefs to open Loro and Kemuri Tatsuya
Are you sure about Kemuri Tatsuya? I read several articles that made no mention of Franklin.
JCRiley09
AG
My mistake. The Tatsuya brisket dishes at a time used Franklin Brisket. I remembered reading that and my brain jumped to "partnership"
Swarely
I'm contemplating swinging by around 11 tomorrow when it's storming. I bet that'll keep the line down.
SteveBott
AG
As said best way to get in and out is call in a catering order. I don't know the minimum but plan on feeding a few folks.
JAW3336
AG
Cool, I was just wondering if it was a must visit for me.
JCRiley09
AG
I've been once. If you've ever eaten at Ramen Tatsuya and want that with a TX BBQ fusion, then I'd say it's a must visit
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Loro is certainly worth a go, if not just for the frozen G&T
tripperwill
AG
Loro is fantastic!
Also, doesnt Aaron Franklin have a connection to Martin's BBQ in Bryan from when he was a kid?
Gramercy Riffs
AG
SteveBott said:

As said best way to get in and out is call in a catering order. I don't know the minimum but plan on feeding a few folks.

I think the minimum is five pounds. A guy at the office brings us free bbq from time to time when he wants Franklin. Says it's worth it to him to spring for all of his coworkers rather than wait in line.
Bobcat-Ag
Gramercy Riffs said:

SteveBott said:

I think the minimum is five pounds. A guy at the office brings us free bbq from time to time when he wants Franklin. Says it's worth it to him to spring for all of his coworkers rather than wait in line.
Where do you work? Are you hiring?
fig96
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Loro is certainly worth a go, if not just for the frozen G&T
I'm a fan, we go for occasional work lunches and it's always good.
southernskies
Went during lunch hour. Got there at 11am and was served at 1pm. Seasonal sausage was mehhh, a little dried out. But the brisket is still the best I've had.

I don't think the chance of rain drove many people away.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

SteveBott said:

Where do you work? Are you hiring?

The only position we're hiring for is Guy Who Buys the Barbecue.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.