Austin
Sponsored by

Multiple Stabbing victims on South Congress this morning

4,428 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PabloSerna
deddog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BQ78 said:

How about not passing laws that let them camp out wherever they want. Stop buying hotels that cost more than actually paying the lease on a decent apartment for the numbers it will accommodate. Start enforcing the laws on the book instead of ignoring them-- that's a good start.

Hell even your implication of sending them elsewhere is a better idea than what they are doing, because San Antonio and Dallas are buying one way trips for their homeless to Austin.

And your Nazi reference-- that's called hyperbole

And above Adler's pay grade is the nation's mental health system needs a complete overhaul that would not only solve part of the homeless issue but the bogie man of mass shootings that have the root problem of mental health, not gun control.
It's also a strawman. Everything in the post that you were referring to was a strawman.

AS far as city council, with no Ellen Troxlair, you only have loonies on the city council. Beside whining about needing more money, they have done absolutely nothing to figure out the root cause of the problem let alone address it. Which is why you see the harebrained schemes like hotels, and allowing homeless to camp wherever they want.
PabloSerna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Read a book last year by Alan Graham, founder of Mobile Loaves and Fishes, about the homeless situation he encountered in Austin. Like many of us, he started off with a lot of preconceived ideas about the people, their situation, and such.

IF.. no really.. if you are serious about understanding what is happening, then I highly recommend this book. It's my opinion that there are a lot of good people that want to do the right thing, but don't know where to start. I refuse to believe that there are more cold-hearted folks that look at the situation and say "not my problem." There are some though.. they'll have to answer for that one day.

In the meantime - I believe we need to start with dignity.. and soap and toothpaste, lol! Maybe a taco and a cool tent from REI.

+Pablo

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.