Austin
Sponsored by

Cheap Haircuts for Men?

3,727 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PabloSerna
southernskies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for a place to get a cheap haircut here. Any suggestions?

I'm used to paying $6 back in Houston. All I'm seeing here is $20 minimums.
500,000ags
AG
I haven't seen a real barber cut for under $10 in like 10 years.
Potcake
AG
Maybe one of the barber schools would have cheaper cuts.
expresswrittenconsent
The chain places (super cuts, great clips) will run specials around $8 every few months.
You're probably gonna need to either double your budget or convince the special lady in your life that you trust her to give you that '2 on the sides and back, 3 on the top' clipper cut.
southernskies
Dang, was hoping there would be a hole in the wall somewhere. I've noticed, in general, groceries are a little more expensive here too.

The cost of living's high these days....
Aston 91
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

The chain places (super cuts, great clips) will run specials around $8 every few months.
You're probably gonna need to either double your budget or convince the special lady in your life that you trust her to give you that '2 on the sides and back, 3 on the top' clipper cut.

I do most of mine myself, with an assist from the wife on the back sometimes. I use the #3 on the sides #5 on the top. I do it b/c I'm cheap, and also b/c I hate waiting to get a haircut (and the cheap places are usually not the cleanest).
expresswrittenconsent
southernskies said:

Dang, was hoping there would be a hole in the wall somewhere. I've noticed, in general, groceries are a little more expensive here too.

The cost of living's high these days....

I sort of think you might be able to find one if you look hard enough. But I was going to a single chair barber in a strip center by the local high school in the late 90s/early 2000s and I'm pretty sure he was at least $7 back then and I think he retired 10+ yrs ago.
El_Guero512
The cheapest in Austin would be like Fast Freddy's and that's like 10 bucks before tip. All their locations are on the south side of Austin too.
rather be fishing
AG
https://goo.gl/maps/GG7ugse1BLbBkodm9

I've been going to this place lately. Their standard hair cut is $12. They do a special on Wednesdays so you can get it cut for $7.

Also like Anderson Lane Barber Shop, they'll do the straight razor neck shave, but it's like $17.
expresswrittenconsent
rather be fishing said:

I've been going to this place lately. Their standard hair cut is $12. They do a special on Wednesdays so you can get it cut for $7.

Also like Anderson Lane Barber Shop, they'll do the straight razor neck shave, but it's like $17.

I didnt think you could find the straight razor/hot foam anywhere in the area.
I lived out of state for a few years recently and that hot foam straight razor was a standard part of any $12 barber shop haircut and holy crap does it beat the ****ty regular barber shop and crappy great clips type cuts my balding cheap ass has been getting for decades.
Potcake
AG
Floyds, Honest Barber, and Finley's all include a straight razor neck shave
southernskies
rather be fishing said:

Nice! I'll have to give them a try today!
rather be fishing
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

rather be fishing said:

I didnt think you could find the straight razor/hot foam anywhere in the area.
I lived out of state for a few years recently and that hot foam straight razor was a standard part of any $12 barber shop haircut and holy crap does it beat the ****ty regular barber shop and crappy great clips type cuts my balding cheap ass has been getting for decades.
Oh, man they also include a neck/shoulder rub in the standard cut. It's Korean run, and they're cash only.
expresswrittenconsent
Nice. Thx.
Gotta hit up Terry's (not quite on) burnet auto inspection and swing by to grab auto reg soon, I will check it out.
500,000ags
AG
There's an Asian dude that cuts hair on East 7th by the HEB. He just throws down a wooden stool at the corner and does work for needy people I'm assuming. Shows up like every two weeks. Must be an amazing human being.
Swarely
Go see Billy at Adolphs on Manchaca and 71. 12$ cash.
southernskies
Update on Special Cuts:

Got the $7 special. She missed a group of hairs of the side of my head. Pretty lazy with the cutting but I guess that's what $7 gets you here. I had to clip it myself this morning to fix it.

Vietnamese dudes in Houston set the bar high for me. $7 always turned into a 30-45 minute haircut with a really good fade around the sides. Maybe I'll just plan my haircut timing better going forward.
Harkrider 93
AG
ChiTownsFinest84 said:

The cheapest in Austin would be like Fast Freddy's and that's like 10 bucks before tip. All their locations are on the south side of Austin too.
It is now $12. Still a good deal.
DD88
AG
There's a Mexican place (Premier Salon) on the west side of I35 & Braker that has a $10 rate on Monday and Tuesday.
flintdragon
AG
is a cheap haircut any good? LOL.

20 years ago at A&M, I needed a haircut badly and found a $5 place. I think it was near the IHOP. It took all of 5 minutes and was the worst haircut I've ever had.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
Me and my dad used to get our hair cut at fast freddys at west gate mall for $5 across from solo serve in the early 90s.

I think it's now the produce section at central market.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
Also - am I the only one who won't let someone touch my neck with a straight razor? F that noise I'm not trying to get killed.
expresswrittenconsent
Seems reasonable. Just saw on the news there were 16 necks slashed over the weekend. Only 7 scissor stabbings.
Baseball-Junkie
Bob's Barber Shop is old fashioned, all cash, straight blade finish and only $13.
Krazykat
AG
Husky Boy Jr. said:

Also - am I the only one who won't let someone touch my neck with a straight razor? F that noise I'm not trying to get killed.

You haven't had a real shave until you've had one with a straight razor. Closest shave you can get.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Man a haircut is something I never go cheap on

I go to Birds, ends up costing close to 30 after tip but the guy who does it always does great
Baseball-Junkie
My favorites are Fraga Barbershop, Wooten's and then Bob's -- but they're all at different ends of Austin.
aTm papi
Sport Clips
PabloSerna
AG
Mexican, Vietnamese, Asian... you guys sound rather intelligent!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.