Austin
Sponsored by

Best breakfast tacos in town?

12,876 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wargograw
expresswrittenconsent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SMidgett87 said:

I think I'm with "Keeper" on this. I prefer more traditional meats on my breakfast tacos - bacon, sausage, chorizo.

That doesn't mean the brisket isn't good - I just don't want it on a breakfast taco.

I also tried a bacon, egg, cheese, potato taco. it was ok. Yes, I was completely stuffed after eating those 2 tacos...

I am quite happy with Rudy's - bacon, egg, cheese, potato, jalapeno. Their bacon is better than Valentinas - thick and crisp - and i really like having diced fresh jalapenos. Warning - breakfast isn't not the same at all Rudy's locations. The one on 360 (Westlake) and the one on 183 have similar breakfast setups. I've also tried Rudy's in Waco and Denton, and the breakfast was different - and not as good.

There you have it, Rudy's is better than Valentinas.
stamper
AG
I think Rudy,s has some of the worst breakfast tacos i've ever had. Tortillas are garbage.
Potcake
AG
stamper said:

I think Tacodeli has some of the worst breakfast tacos i've ever had. Tortillas are garbage.

FIFY
I've been there one time, tepid eggs and tough flour tortilla.
chipotle
Rudy's is different all over. I also order right from their counter and not just grab the ones they have under the warmers at in the gas station area. We go to the one on 183 in Austin and I've yet to have better bacon on a breakfast taco anywhere else.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I never need black beans on the my breakfast taco, tacodeli
tlepoC
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

What are you taking about? The Otto is their best breakfast taco
expresswrittenconsent
Aggierific said:

Keeper of The Spirits said:

What are you taking about? The Otto is their best breakfast taco

Yeah their refried black beans with bacon and red sauce are delicious. I love traditional texmex refried beans with lard (there's not much better than sopping up enchilada gravy and refried beans with a legit homemade tortilla) but that doesnt make the otto any less bad ass.
SMidgett87
AG
chipotle said:

Rudy's is different all over. I also order right from their counter and not just grab the ones they have under the warmers at in the gas station area. We go to the one on 183 in Austin and I've yet to have better bacon on a breakfast taco anywhere else.
Agreed on all points
Dad-O-Lot
AG
I think Dan's Hamburgers has the best breakfast tacos. Great price, and very full.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
rather be fishing
AG
SMidgett87 said:

chipotle said:

Agreed on all points
All I know is that if you're not getting smoked turkey at Rudy's you might as well not go. The turkey and the pickled cherry peppers are the only reason I ever go there.
expresswrittenconsent
Lots and lots of mayo. That's their 'secret'.
SMidgett87
AG
Dad-O-Lot said:

I think Dan's Hamburgers has the best breakfast tacos. Great price, and very full.
Good to know. Will check them out.
SMidgett87
AG
rather be fishing said:

All I know is that if you're not getting smoked turkey at Rudy's you might as well not go. The turkey and the pickled cherry peppers are the only reason I ever go there.
I'll take that under consideration. I usually only go there for breakfast, but that sounds interesting.
Potcake
AG
My new co-favorite is the migas taco at Yucatan Tacos & More, trailer at the Sunoco station near Burnet/Braker.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
https://austin.eater.com/2019/12/5/20997075/franklin-barbecue-taco-truck-open-austin-east-11th-street
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
https://www.instagram.com/breakfasttacostagram/
HECUBUS
AG
Made breakfast tacos today with spinach, bell pepper, red onion, hash browns, johnsonville breakfast sausage, tillamook shredded mozzarella, egg, milagro tortillas, and dried surplus chili tepins picked T-Day +1. These were the biggest and hottest chilis of the season. Yum.

These tacos were not great, but I did get rid of a bunch of T-Day leftovers. As long as I have milagro, some kind of tillamook and chili tepin, it's good though. I prefer thick hickory smoked bacon, Mexican 4 cheese, fresh made chili tepin salsa scrambled with the eggs, and dried chili tepins in the hash browns.

Sadly, early freezes look like they will end the chili season sooner than last year. I don't see any more flowering.

- Local Chili Tepin knucklehead
Baseball-Junkie
No joke... Find a JD's Market and go get their tacos -- excellent.
CrawfordAg
AG
Do you have those in pots or in ground? Mine are in pots and flowered about a month back but haven't seen anything since.
HECUBUS
AG
In ground. That's the first one we found, 11/18. We found another down the street and three more high producers in the area. We planted some last spring and have more going in next spring. They do grow slow.
Motot
AG
Have you had any luck growing from the seeds? I have a couple of bushes going, but the freeze killed them off for now. I've planted seeds in the past from them but no luck...
OregonAggie
AG
Casa Moreno's off Burleson near the airport is pretty damn good. One taco is plenty for me there because they're pretty dang big.

I've only been there once, but Eldorado Cafe off Anderson and Monaco is damn good. The Big Papas taco is delightful. I can't remember if the tortillas were made there or not but I do recall that the tacos were damn good.
HECUBUS
AG

Some new ones and some planted last year. I covered them with a box when it froze. They should come back after a freeze, but these were still tiny.
expresswrittenconsent
El Dorado isnt bad food but it definitely isnt tex mex.
wargograw
I've had an eye on this thread since it started. I compiled the suggestions into a list and will be trying to hit them all as I'm able. Went to Ken's on Dessau this morning.
rather be fishing
AG
El Dorado is astonishing to me. It's a the worst possible location imaginable, but lines down the sidewalk every time we've gone.

Agreed, though, definitely not true Tex-Mex.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
My experience with El Dorado is it was not good, none of it, marg was terrible and the food was bad
hammerhead
HTownAg98 said:

Taco More has to be on that list.
We got some from a client yesterday. I'm trying to find out where they came from, because they were awesome.
The Taco More that is somewhat close to my office is great...but it is off of Rutland, morning and lunch is fine..but would not do it at night.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Taco Joint. There's a location on San Jacinto and one on Riverside. Potato, bacon, egg, and cheese is my go to.
texag06ish
AG
WHAT THE **** IS A CHILI TEPIN?!?!
texag06ish
AG
OK. Turns out I'm a jerk.
BenFiasco14
AG
wargograw said:

I've had an eye on this thread since it started. I compiled the suggestions into a list and will be trying to hit them all as I'm able. Went to Ken's on Dessau this morning.
Can you share the list?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
HECUBUS
AG
[link]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum_annuum_var._glabriusculum[/link]

[link] https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-official-item/texas/state-food-agriculture-symbol/chiltepin[/link]

[link] https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-types/medium-hot-chili-peppers/chiltepin-chili-peppers/[/link]
HECUBUS
AG
No
wargograw
BenFiasco14 said:

wargograw said:

Can you share the list?
No because my computer's a piece of junk.

I've now been to Ken's 3x. It's good but twice it was lukewarm.

I've been to El Tacorrido the last two mornings. Separate locations. Both very good.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.