Austin
Sponsored by

Live Oak Tree removal during Oak Wilt season?

1,178 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rather be fishing
thirty-two
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a backyard project that will require the removal of 5-6 smaller oaks, and the pruning of one big limb on another. I know Feb-June this pruning is discouraged. But what about full tree removal? Is that still an issue with respect to oak wilt? I can't imagine delaying a project until July just because of oak wilt season, but I also have seen people get shamed on the neighborhood Facebook back for doing tree work at this time of year... advice?
rather be fishing
AG
Are you in Austin?

If so, be sure anything you do is through a certified arborist.
MouthBQ98
AG
If you are removing, the only risk is that they're interconnectedby the roots with other healthy trees and if you damage the roots that could open them up to infection.

It's basically sap eating and wood boring beetles that carry it from tree to tree, and they search for exposed damage that is leaking tree sap. If you seal the trimmed limb and stumps adequately and keep it so, they should be ok. If they leak sap and are exposed, the fungus could enter the trees or remaining root system and propagate.
rather be fishing
AG
To add on, City of Austin has code regulation related to tree clearing. You don't want to end up on the bad end of that. An arborist will be able to navigate those codes for you.
thirty-two
AG
Thanks all. Had an arborist come by today, and got many of my questions answered. Some of the restrictions on "protected" trees are quite ridiculous. I have a cedar tree that is probably robbing God knows how many gallons of water from my yard that is also protected. A friggin' cedar tree.

It amazes me that anyone can build anything around here. 19" diameter doesn't take long to become protected. It almost makes me want to take trees out now if I can see the possibility that they will keep me from doing things on my properly later down the road when they grow to be > 19"
rather be fishing
AG
Better to know what you're looking at than to have one of your neighbors tattle on you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.