Austin
Sponsored by

What Time Should I Get To Franklin BBQ on Saturday?

8,865 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rather be fishing
TheOC16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I'll be staying overnight in Austin Friday after our game and I need something to kill the time until the Saturday game.

I've been wanting to try Franklin's Barbecue, so I figure this is a perfect opportunity with me in town and nothing to do. What time should I arrive? I have to drop my dad off at the airport (I'm completely unfamiliar with Austin geography by the way) at 6:00 a.m., so I would think I could be there by 7:00 at the latest if it's far from the airport.
JBAB
If you drop your dad at the airport at 6am you'll be in Franklin's parking lot by 6:15. You'll be fine (other than having to wait hours) on getting BBQ if you get there at that time. Good luck & enjoy!
AgOutsideAustin
AG
For Saturday? Get there on Friday.
chipotle
You'll be there way before 7 (which is good). Bring a chair, a cooler of something, a book, headphones or just get friendly with your linemates.
SteveBott
AG
Add an umbrella to your list

Or

Sunscreen
BenFiasco14
AG
TheOC16 said:

So I'll be staying overnight in Austin Friday after our game and I need something to kill the time until the Saturday game.

I've been wanting to try Franklin's Barbecue, so I figure this is a perfect opportunity with me in town and nothing to do. What time should I arrive? I have to drop my dad off at the airport (I'm completely unfamiliar with Austin geography by the way) at 6:00 a.m., so I would think I could be there by 7:00 at the latest if it's far from the airport.
Look this is awesome and everything but the thought of loading up on Franklin wet brisket (which is ****ing amazing by the way) and then waddling over to Disch Faulk to sit in 105 degree heat sounds horrendous. Lol
TheOC16
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

TheOC16 said:

Look this is awesome and everything but the thought of loading up on Franklin wet brisket (which is ****ing amazing by the way) and then waddling over to Disch Faulk to sit in 105 degree heat sounds horrendous. Lol

Hopefully the game is at 7:00!!!

Haha, I don't go to Austin much, but I've really wanted to try Franklin. This is the perfect opportunity: I'll already be in Austin, up early, with nothing to do until the game. Can't pass that up.

Thank y'all all so much for the advice, this is exactly what I was hoping for! Don't know if I'm more excited to taste Franklin brisket or sip tears...
512Ag
AG
Get coffee from the Legend Coffee* trailer on-site. It's pretty dang good.

*disclaimer: My sister-in-law owns it. It's still good coffee.
TheOC16
AG
I'll tell her you sent me!
BenFiasco14
AG
TheOC16 said:

BenFiasco14 said:

TheOC16 said:

Hopefully the game is at 7:00!!!

Haha, I don't go to Austin much, but I've really wanted to try Franklin. This is the perfect opportunity: I'll already be in Austin, up early, with nothing to do until the game. Can't pass that up.

Thank y'all all so much for the advice, this is exactly what I was hoping for! Don't know if I'm more excited to taste Franklin brisket or sip tears...
Oh yeah man, it'll be great. Franklin (especially the brisket, imo) is the best hands down. In fact I'll defend his brisket over anything else. I've tried most of his fare, which is all good, but when I go now, I only get brisket and as wet as I can get. It's the best tasting thing on this planet.

At least for me, I usually need a nap after lol.

Enjoy man. Welcome to Austin for the weekend and let's btho Indiana, tu, and Texas southern
mslags97
AG
I'll be there with my boys!!!
MaroonStain
AG
GIS Franklin BBQ long line, look at the image then go to Stiles Switch...
flintdragon
AG
MaroonStain said:

GIS Franklin BBQ long line, look at the image then go to Stiles Switch...
I'm not a fan of waiting in ridiculously long lines for food (some waiting is ok). Stiles is fine by me. Love them. Aggie-owned and if you wear Aggie clothing/cap, you get a free koozie.
SteveBott
AG
If going to Styles get the rib and thank me later
TheOC16
AG
Assuming we win, any advice on what to do in town until our 7:00 game?
SteveBott
AG
In. The afternoon to get out of the heat go tour the Bob Bullock Texas history museum. Near the Capital. Also has an I-Max theater and might be showing something you like. Might need to buy tickets in advance if it's a popular film.
SteveBott
AG
If real adventurous go take a swim at the Barton Pool. Interesting scenery
CapCity12thMan
AG
none of you dudes has mentioned to go to Stiles and then walk 75 yards to Yellow Rose? Disappointed to say the least...

Potcake
AG
Quote:

Enjoy man. Welcome to Austin for the weekend and let's btho Indiana and Texas southern

FIFY
fig96
AG
AggieDem said:

Get coffee from the Legend Coffee* trailer on-site. It's pretty dang good.

*disclaimer: My sister-in-law owns it. It's still good coffee.
Very cool, and speaking as a coffee snob that is really good coffee.

And yes, Stiles is great and my usual non big line go to, but Franklin's brisket is incredible and the overall experience is worth it if you have the time.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
If you there prior to 7 you should eats by 11
chipotle
SteveBott said:

Or

Sunscreen

If he's there by 7 he should at very least be up against the building wall and in the shade most of the time.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yeah bring a cooler and beer, water, sunscreen and a bag a breakfast tacos. I love Stiles but they can't compete with Franklins. Stiles has food ready at all times which makes consistency so much harder,
JAW3336
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Yeah bring a cooler and beer, water, sunscreen and a bag a breakfast tacos. I love Stiles but they can't compete with Franklins. Stiles has food ready at all times which makes consistency so much harder,
Im pretty sure they only have brisket ready until they sell out.
TheOC16
AG
SteveBott said:

In. The afternoon to get out of the heat go tour the Bob Bullock Texas history museum. Near the Capital. Also has an I-Max theater and might be showing something you like. Might need to buy tickets in advance if it's a popular film.
Thanks! I'll plan on doing this! (I'm a History major, so good recommendation!)
SteveBott
AG
chipotle said:

SteveBott said:

Or

Sunscreen

If he's there by 7 he should at very least be up against the building wall and in the shade most of the time.

I would never assume shade this time of year.
TheOC16
AG
Got here at 6:30, 10 people (5 groups ahead of me).

I expected the waiting to be agony. This is actually fun! Cooler of beer, music on the Bluetooth speaker, making new friends. If the brisket is even decent this would be worth it. But I'm expecting a lot more than decent!
SteveBott
AG
We are expecting a full foodie review
fig96
AG
TheOC16 said:

Got here at 6:30, 10 people (5 groups ahead of me).

I expected the waiting to be agony. This is actually fun! Cooler of beer, music on the Bluetooth speaker, making new friends. If the brisket is even decent this would be worth it. But I'm expecting a lot more than decent!
Theyve done a great job integrating the line into the whole experience, it's a good time. Enjoy!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Not a fan of Stiles.

The most enjoyable BBQ place to me is Terry Blacks. You can get in and out within an hour, and the brisket is *********amazing.
SteveBott
AG
Which is why I suggested the ribs
Archie86
Why wait.. Louie Mueller BBQ in Taylor, Texas is where Franklin cloned his bbq. Only 30 minute drive to Taylor.
Aust Ag
AG
Archie86 said:

Why wait.. Louie Mueller BBQ in Taylor, Texas is where Franklin cloned his bbq. Only 30 minute drive to Taylor.
Amazing sausage!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I am sure the can sell out but they must stage their meat because the brisket ready at 11 won't be as good at 9
JAW3336
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

I am sure the can sell out but they must stage their meat because the brisket ready at 11 won't be as good at 9
Obviously, a little tip is never go eat brisket at 9pm anywhere.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.