Austin
Sponsored by

What Time Should I Get To Franklin BBQ on Saturday?

8,808 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rather be fishing
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well?
cityagboy
AG
Go to Stiles Switch. Get the beef ribs and sausage. Aggie owned and amazing!
cityagboy
AG
cityagboy said:

Franklin's is great but I hate lines.
KT 90
AG
cityagboy said:

Since it is up north, I've never been to Stiles Switch, but need to. What is this place like at lunch time? As in how crowded is it typically? May try to swing that some day, or just take the family on a weekend sometime.

SteveBott
AG
Peak lunch time they had about 10-15 person line. Not bad and inside.
TheOC16
AG
SteveBott said:

Well?
Okay, so my final verdict is - worth it.

As mentioned, the line was actually enjoyable. Kind of like tailgating. Yes, if you just want to pick up food and have lunch, this isn't ideal. But for an experience, it's fun.

To get to the point, it was the best barbecue I've ever had. I wouldn't say it was by a long shot, but it was definitive. Now when I judge barbecue, it's almost exclusively based on the brisket. I also ordered sausage and a beef rib, but I basically did that just so I wouldn't be "that guy" ordering 6 lbs of brisket and nothing else.

It was the best brisket I've ever had. Now interestingly enough, it was actually the flat that I was most impressed with. Yes the point was very good - but honestly, if you blind tested me with his point and then a few other top notch points, I really don't know if I would choose Franklin's. I certainly don't know of any point that's definitely better than his, but I also don't know that his is hand's down the winner. I would love to do the blind test mentioned.

But the flat was amazing. I'm typically not a big fan of flat brisket, but his flat was better than a lot of places' point. It was super tender and the flavor was excellent. Not too smoky, but it was definitely noticeable and admittedly I'm a sucker for Central Texas salt/pepper flavoring. He nailed it. So with the flat being hands down the best flat and not being able to call any other point better than his, it was definitely the best brisket I've ever had.

The sausage was average sausage.

Holy crap the beef rib! This was the big surprise. I like beef ribs. This wasn't a beef rib. This was something else. It was on a whole other level than other beef ribs I've had. Unfortunately I only got one, and wound up having three friends show up right as Franklin's opened, so we split it four ways. It was a smaller beef rib (you pay per lb so that was fine with me when the butcher asked, though I later wished I would have gotten more!) so we wound up only getting a couple bites each. Man it was good! I wish I would have had more to really give it more thought, but it might have even been better than the brisket... which sounds insane I know. That's why I wish I would have had more so that I could really have tested it out after the initial shock of the first couple bites.

So in the end, totally worth it. Yes, it's expensive, but compare the brisket price per pound to what you'd pay for a ribeye at Texas Roadhouse - the brisket's way better. Yes you have to wait a long time. I totally understand why that's a problem for some people. Yeah, Franklin's is not going to be a regular lunch pickup. But as an experience, it's pretty cool.

Glad I did it, and I'm going to do it again. Though I want to hit up several other places before that so I can have a better comparison. Valentina's, La Barbecue, Stiles Switch. Any others?
fig96
AG
Glad you enjoyed, and good list.

If you're into beef rib, add Terry Black's. Short line and they have huge, delicious ribs.

SteveBott
AG
Did you go to the Bullock museum?
JBAB
I think I've tried most major/famous BBQ place in town, I could be wrong. I'm a brisket/pork ribs/sausage guy. Not including Louie Mueller/Lockhart places in my list.

My top tier is Franklin, LA BBQ & Valentinas. These 3 are consistently the best I've found. Others I've found CAN be more hit or miss.

2nd tier is Style Switch, Blacks, Micklethwait, Freedmans & Kerlin

My dark horses/less known are Schmidt Family BBQ in Bee Caves & Big Cat BBQ up in Cedar Park. Not up to par with the others but I like both of them quite a bit. Anyone got any other lesser known spots around town?
jah003
S
Black Box up in Georgetown is very good. Almost no wait at all... and usually Mueller is passing out Lone Star's if there is a line.
rather be fishing
AG
Cheif's in South Austin is pretty good. Leroy & Lewis is also good but not standard BBQ cuts.
fig96
AG
Big Cat is on my list to try as I'm in CP, need to make it a point to get over there.

Also out here is a random little truck called Alzer's that's solid.

JBAB
Well he seems to know a lot about food...so if u don't catch him at lakeline pluckers you're likely to catch the infamous Ketchum at big cat during lunch....consider yourself unlucky if you do.
JAW3336
AG
I been at lunch when there are 40+ people in line and it takes about 35-40 minutes to get food. FYI
expresswrittenconsent
i found stiles switch to be pretty disappointing.
rather be fishing
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

i found stiles switch to be pretty disappointing.

I've always found it to be pretty damn good. But every BBQ place is not what everyone is looking for.

Their jalepeno cheese sausage is hands down my favorite and the brisket has always been good. Doesn't mean their style is what you want.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.