Austin
Sponsored by

Anyone know what happened to Jimmy Carter on KOKE FM?

10,895 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aggieangler93
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heard this morning on KOKE and Cole that Jimmy Carter will no longer be doing his segment on Bob's show anymore. Neither Bob nor Eric Raines would say why he won't be coming back on because of company policy. Does anyone know what happened?

I'm gonna miss Jimmy's segment.
txjortsagent
AG
Wow. He was just on yesterday, I think
AggieStout
AG
Don't think he has been on since early last week. I want to know too what happened
BenFiasco14
AG
AggieStout said:

Don't think he has been on since early last week. I want to know too what happened
Believe this is correct. Bob and Eric were saying this morning they were putting off telling the listening audience and they didn't have to say anything until today because of all the coverage over the Austin bombings. Jimmy was not on yesterday.

I do not think this is health related based on how Bob and Eric sounded on the air this morning. It was pretty weird, Eric Raines kept saying stuff like "he's been like family but we have to move on" this morning.
Hhilton82
AG
Wondering the same thing. A week ago he made a boo boo by saying he hated Meskins.
Bob bailed him out but maybe not enough.
He was referring to cartels etc. but certainly misspoke.
BenFiasco14
AG
Hhilton82 said:

Wondering the same thing. A week ago he made a boo boo by saying he hated Meskins.
Bob bailed him out but maybe not enough.
He was referring to cartels etc. but certainly misspoke.

Yup, that was it I think. I dove into this a little bit more.

Jimmy came on the air and the cast was discussing the recent Trump rhetoric about executing drug dealers when Jimmy said on air, and I heard it followed by a cringe, "that's why I don't trust those Mexicans down there" or something similar. Bob politely asked jimmy to rephrase his comment, which he did do, and said he meant cartel members and such IN Mexico, but this has to be it.

I'm assuming the station got a ton of backlash over this comment. I don't know, and still don't think it's a fireable offense. But what do I know. I think that comment was the crux though.

That being said, could be wrong.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Frozen Concoction
Bummer. That segment was the best 15 minutes on local radio. It was about the only way I kept up with entertainment news.
JohnnyShotgun
There was an incident with Jimmy and the crew a few weeks ago when Billy Graham passed away. Something happened that made Jimmy comment about how he teaches his classes to not be like the KOKE morning show. The female on the show was pretty ticked off about it and Eric tried to let it go. Bob acted like he didn't hear it. It was strange for sure. I think Jimmy may have been upset that the crew was being their normal selves and not grieving like he was over the passing of Graham. Bob said he was going to talk to Jimmy and make things good, but I haven't really listened that much since then. I am not an everyday listener. That's all I got.
txjortsagent
AG
The female being Rita Ballou, I'm guessing
tamc91
AG
A few months ago there was also some tension since the local crew would get to talking and talk over Jimmy. He complained about not being able to cover his material. They seemed to improve, but the implication was that they were being unprofessional. Jimmy was right though. They must have had 5 people in the studio and everyone wanted their air time.

I'll miss Jimmy's segment. He was good overall.
Charpie
AG
Let me ask Eric. I'll find out.
BTW, Jimmy is likely on a lot of other stations across the country. They probably negotiated a quick exit and out of his contract.
Charpie
AG
Eric won't elaborate. Just said he was let go
Charpie
AG
and now he did elaborate. It was the Mexican thing.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Rita brings absolutely nothing to the show, she seems clueless about anything important and just kind of blabs on with nothing meaningful to add to discussions. If they were trying to get the "female perspective" they should have found someone else.

It seemed like Jimmy would agree with me, as he didnt seem to like her.

The Mexican thing should have been let go with an explanation and apology. No reason to get rid of him.

Jimmy was one of their best segments, as was the "panel" with the lawyer/politicos that they used to do to discuss issues. That was my favorite, but I think they stopped doing it.
BenFiasco14
AG
Charpie said:

I had a feeling that was it. Thanks for looking into it.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
KT 90
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Charpie said:

I had a feeling that was it. Thanks for looking into it.
I skip around on the radio in the mornings, but did happen to catch that segment. That was definitely an awkward moment. Bob tried to help sooth it over, but I guess the suits said no. I'm sure they caught some flack for that segment that day.

Charpie
AG
Bob and Eric are the ones running the show. Knowing the backlash KLBJ got for when Sam sorta said the same thing, and the fact that KOKE is trying to break into the market, I'm not shocked by it
txjortsagent
AG
You mean KVET?
superunknown
AG
Charpie said:

Let me ask Eric. I'll find out.
BTW, Jimmy is likely on a lot of other stations across the country. They probably negotiated a quick exit and out of his contract.

Ooh look at me, i know E-Ray
wadd96
AG
I'm sure she is referring to Sgt. Sam on the old KLBJ AM morning show (Mark, Ed and Sgt. Sam)
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Charpie
AG
Yes. He got in trouble a lot
Aggieangler93
AG
I have listened to Bob in the mornings most of my life, having grown up here, and I agree, that Rita doesn't add much value at all to the show. Frankly, I could kinda care less about most of the crap she talks about, unless it is related to Texas music. When she starts into the Nashville gossip kinda crap, I basically change the channel. That, or when they start blathering on about tsip women's basketball or something.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
stardustag
AG
gonna miss Jimmy Carter... he's always been old school and conservative... although I have a feeling he may be a little too conservative for a town like Austin, even on a relatively conservative station like KOKE.
atxmike
I agree with you about Rita. I quit listening because she was just too much for me.
WestAustinAg
AG
I didn't really like Jimmy Carter. I thought his stuff was normal entertainment news but he seemed halfway uninformed about the issues and it seemed like he may have spent about 3 minutes tops in prep before the show. He seemed like the doddering uncle that hears stuff and has some opinions about it but doesn't really entertain or educate in any real way.

Entertainment news could be done much better than Jimmy was doing...
WestAustinAg
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I have listened to Bob in the mornings most of my life, having grown up here, and I agree, that Rita doesn't add much value at all to the show. Frankly, I could kinda care less about most of the crap she talks about, unless it is related to Texas music. When she starts into the Nashville gossip kinda crap, I basically change the channel. That, or when they start blathering on about tsip women's basketball or something.
She brings a demo...that's all.
expresswrittenconsent
wadd96 said:

I'm sure she is referring to Sgt. Sam on the old KLBJ AM morning show (Mark, Ed and Sgt. Sam)
that dude was a real POS.
Bob_Ag
AG
I honestly couldn't stand listening to Bob Cole anymore. Jimmy was always fine in my opinion.
TexasAggie_02
AG
O.G.
Bob_Ag said:

I honestly couldn't stand listening to Bob Cole anymore. Jimmy was always fine in my opinion.
THIS! He is unlistenable. I listen on their app but not until Bob is off of the air and if he's in a commercial, I switch to something else.

I was around radio long enough to learn that his 1980s style/DJ thinking they are a celebrity, is what's wrong with terrestrial radio. No one wants to hear you yap anymore.
Aggieangler93
AG
Good point. I do find it ironic that they don't play most of that polished nashville pop, but about half of her "news" is about that BS. At least they don't pander to the tsips at noon!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.