Austin
Sponsored by

Anyone tried this for cedar fever?

3,083 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OregonAggie
Vortex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just wondering if anyone in Austin area has tried this or had any relief. My family seems to have been hit with it. No fever and no flu symptoms. Juniper is high.

http://allergena.com/allergena-texas-cedar-fever/#ProductReviews
Potcake
AG
I haven't had much luck with meds like Zyrtec and others. They make my head feel weird. I started using a neti pot about three years ago and it has helped with year-round allergy problems pretty well.
BiochemAg97
AG
This kind of product (low dose of the allegan) can and does work. I would be concerned about self medicating though. There is a risk of overdosing and causing a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis).

Under the care of an allergist or ENT, you can get shots or sublingual drops that are effective and can be tailored for exactly what you are allergic to.

Vortex
AG
Thanks all!
JCRiley09
AG
I've been dang near incapacitated every January since moving here 4 years ago by cedar fever. This year I've been using Flonase since November and haven't felt any symptoms yet - My doctor has always said to use a nose spray and I finally listened. Fingers crossed that it stays effective.
KT 90
AG
JCRiley09 said:

I've been dang near incapacitated every January since moving here 4 years ago by cedar fever. This year I've been using Flonase since November and haven't felt any symptoms yet - My doctor has always said to use a nose spray and I finally listened. Fingers crossed that it stays effective.

Flonase works for me. It's over the counter now too, can even get the generic version at HEB. On days the cedar is in the higher ranges I'll take a Claritan as well. That is the best combo for me, cedar season is usually the only time of year allergies really bother me.

FWIW, after being in Austin for 10 to 12 years, I tried the shots from the allergist. But during cedar season I was still having to use flonase and sometimes claritan. After doing the shots for a couple years eventually decided to do without. Wasn't worth the trouble if I still had some issues during cedar season; the cedar didn't bother me as much but I still had cedar allergies especially on the days it was in the moderate to higher ranges.

Bitter Old Man
AG
I use a combination of Dymista and Zyrtec. Works for me.
WestAustinAg
AG
JCRiley09 said:

They will be overwhelmed soon. I would start allegra or Zyrtec immediately.
JCRiley09
AG
Zyrtec and Flonase cocktail going strong.
dustin999
AG
I go with Flonase at night, and some Mucinex D + Zyrtec in the morning. Usually start the Flonase in early to mid Dec and the Zyrtec I just started this past week.

Also taking a shower before bed and keeping your sheets clean helps a lot too.

And don't forget to swap out your a/c filters.

Been surviving cedar in Austin for 18 years.
Ashley96
AG
I survive on Flonase and acupuncture. I hate taking meds if I can help it because they don't feel effective.
JCRiley09
AG
Update: cedar is here

Flonase and Zyrtec isn't keeping up. I haven't been able to wear contacts for a week
dustin999
AG
How long have you been taking it? In my experience you have to start at least a couple weeks out or more.

Also try mucinex D for some relief during the day (take in the morning because it can make sleep difficult), and if really necessary try Benadryl at night.
Cynical_Texan
AG
Vortex said:

Just wondering if anyone in Austin area has tried this or had any relief. My family seems to have been hit with it. No fever and no flu symptoms. Juniper is high.

http://allergena.com/allergena-texas-cedar-fever/#ProductReviews

It works for some people and not others. We have bought it every year and it does provide some temporary relief.

After being outside in it when its bad (over 1000gr or whatever) i use a cheap neti pot and take some of this Texas Cedar Fever stuff. It doesn't have an expiration date, contacted company about it and it doesnt go bad.

Good luck.
evan_aggie
AG
My wife went to an Allergenist or whatever they are called. They billed insurance $1500 to basically tell her she has a reaction to 40 different things and prescribed her a custom made cocktail for the purposes of combatting cedar and mold. She has been taking it for 6-9 months and her symptoms don't seem quite as bad as mine.

I suspect that this is every bit the same if not more precisely for Cedar...
gbirdwell00
AG
Try a product called cedar-x. You can buy it at Peoples pharmacy. Drops you put on your wrist.

Works far better than anything I've ever tried. That plus your normal Zyrtec or Flonase routine and cedar season no longer shuts me down.
Vortex
AG
evan_aggie
AG
I dont know how you guys even get Flonase to work. My nasal passages are so clogged, I can't barely snort it up when I spray...
Vortex
AG
See if you can take the mucinex nose spray. Not for long term use. It's a miracle for stuffy nose.
Potcake
AG
I think cedar pollen is almost done but the mold has been kicking my ass since Monday last week.
rather be fishing
AG
Potcake said:

I think cedar pollen is almost done but the mold has been kicking my ass since Monday last week.

Mold and marginally ragweed are the only things the really bother me. I expect the next week to be crap.
09Ag
AG
The problem with products like allergena is that they put ALL allergens in the vial, regardless of whether or not you have antibodies specific towards them. Therefore, each of the allergens are very low dilution and will not be as effective (the different extracts can also interact with each other and degrade faster. The products begin to lose efficacy after a few months). The advantage of seeing an allergist is that they will test you and find out which specific antigens you are most responsive towards. This allows them to select out the top 7-8 allergens for your prescription, and treat them at much higher dilutions and volume than products like allergena (the new studies that came out show that treating fewer allergens is more effective than treating for everything at lower dilution).
09Ag
AG
Also, you have to take the drops year-round, and not just during cedar season. This is because you are trying to build long term tolerance of the IgE antibodies specific to cedar pollen in order to maximize symptom relief. It usually takes 6 months to start getting significant results, and 3-5 years to achieve long term tolerance.
OregonAggie
AG
Here's my steps for allergy season:

-Nasal steroid 1 month before allergy season. Nasonex has been proven to reduce symptoms throughout allergy season if taken 4 weeks before season. Any steroid (Flonase, nasocort, rhinocort, or Nasonex) should do the same. Available OTC

-Xyzal daily during season. Xyzal is a cleaner version of Zyrtec with less drowsiness. Available OTC.
-Saline nasal rinse 1-2x per day during season. Available OTC.

Keep in mind that nasal steroid sprays take up to 2 weeks to get to maximum effectiveness but you can benefit from them immediately.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.