Austin
Sponsored by

Austin ISD: no school on Dec 8. Stay home.

1,392 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AustinScubaAg
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rather be fishing
AG
Unfortunately my company will probably require all of us to pick a child up and take them to school on our way to work.
HECUBUS
AG

Good call kids would be distracted today.
MouthBQ98
AG
Austin got maybe an inch. East and south of town like Bastrop, Elgin, Buda, Lockhart got 3-4 inches in places.

I will say Austin does have some overpasses that might have frozen had it been a couple degrees colder.
Mike Elko
AG
Unless 100% sunshine, this city shuts down. Hilarious!
KT 90
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Unless 100% sunshine, this city shuts down. Hilarious!

I think some of it is that they know a lot of people will let their kids stay home to play in the snow (while there is some). Attendance affects school funding, so they canceled and will have it be made up on the bad weather makeup day later in the year.

512Ag
AG
Well that's pretty.
rather be fishing
AG
The reason they knee jerk to cancel school is because a few years back they didn't make a call to cancel schools and then realized about 8:00 am that a bunch of overpasses were not driveable and made the call to cancel school. A bunch of kids on buses ended up stuck at schools after they canceled classes and parents weren't or couldn't be contacted to pick them up. It was a big cluster eff.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
rather be fishing said:

The reason they knee jerk to cancel school is because a few years back they didn't make a call to cancel schools and then realized about 8:00 am that a bunch of overpasses were not driveable and made the call to cancel school. A bunch of kids on buses ended up stuck at schools after they canceled classes and parents weren't or couldn't be contacted to pick them up. It was a big cluster eff.
That might have been a small part of it. Last year they had a bus full of kids get in a wreck. They did a very similar thing last year.
AustinScubaAg
AG
South mopac was pretty icy at 7 am and shutdown for several hours. Maybe did not need to close but a 10 am start would have been resonable. I had to go to an appointment and saw 3 accidents between slaughter and 360 at 6:45.
AustinScubaAg
AG
Oops double post
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.