Austin
Sponsored by

Anyone need a new smoker and want to build themselves?

2,197 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Potcake
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A guy in Brentwood is offering classes to build an offset smoker for $400 over 3 weekends in March. I'm leaning towards doing it. He said he can accomodate 3-4 people.

Quote:

I have been working on this for a while now, and I am ready to start offering classes. The first project will be a offset smoker.

The class will be 4 hours a day for 3 days over 3 weeks in March. you will leave with the skills to accurately weld and work with steel and a smoker that you can say "I made that".
We will go over Safety, Equipment, Design and how to weld something and have it come out straight and square.

$400 for the 3 day classes and a smoker.

Since my expertise is in metal and not smokers I am using plans from a few different websites the photo is the basic design. I will provide all safety gear
coyote68
Contact info?? Thanks!!
rather be fishing
AG
coyote68 said:

Contact info?? Thanks!!
brentwoodmetalworks@gmail.com
rather be fishing
AG
I paid for my spot. He told me last night I was #2.
wadd96
AG
Maybe he'll have another one later in the year... All my March weekends are already booked...
chet98
AG
The guy at Brentwood Metal Works does really nice work. That should be a great class.
rather be fishing
AG
We've had him do a couple of minor welding jobs and have been happy with him. I also got some good quality lumber scraps from him a while back when he was cleaning his garage out, and a smallish block of salvaged lumber he had joined. Made a very nice side table out of it.
rather be fishing
AG
Bumping this as a PSA.

I have had nothing but bad experience throughout this pit building fiasco. While the Brentwood Metal Works guy is nice, and I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt throughout this, we're 2 months past due on this smoker being finished and I will have done ~30% of the welding on it.

There's been scheduling issues due to his other work, broken welding machines, and missed deadlines for weeks now. He has told me 3-4 times he needed a few hours to finish it up and it would be ready, only to go silent on the weekends when I was supposed to be picking it up.

I hate this, cause he lives nearby, and I'd like to have him as a resource when I need some welding work done, but be aware.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
That sucks, I had hoped to try to do this class as well
rather be fishing
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

That sucks, I had hoped to try to do this class as well
Hopefully he can get his priorities straightened out and run it successfully in the future. He admitted that the spring is his busiest time of the year and should have scheduled in the fall.

I'd say look into it if he offers it again, but I doubt that I'd ever have him do any work for me moving forward. It'd be easier to just buy a cheap wire feed and do whatever I need to do myself.
rather be fishing
AG
Update:

He just refunded me in full, plus the money for a set of casters I bought to put on it.

This guy is on my blacklist now.

In other news, if anyone has a smoker they want to sell, I'm in the market for something this week. Have a family reunion coming up that I need to cook for this weekend.
Potcake
AG
I bought an Olde Tyme at Magnum Trailers about 16 years ago. Aside from the wooden handles and firebox grates, it has held up well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.