Aggieland
Sponsored by

Permanent Lighting on House

1,985 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by 75AG
UhOhNoAgTag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've seen several homes in my neighborhood pop up with permanent lighting. Anyone know how much this costs or who does it?
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It cost us all a nice dark sky.
michellecan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Texas Lighting Crew
farmersfight
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
they charge per linear foot, expect anywhere from $100-$140 per foot.
BrazosDog02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CS78 said:

It cost us all a nice dark sky.


Starred and reposted. Don't do it. Don't be scared of the dark. It's good.
PerdidoKey2030
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Check out link below. Passing on from information I found here on Texags last spring. Did it myself. Pro tip, take a picture of the front of your house, ask AI- Claude to generate the best outdoor lighting display with six lights. Then just copy it.

https://www.costco.com/p/-/volt-low-voltage-led-outdoor-spotlight-6-pack-kit-with-100w-transformer/100477815?langId=-1
drred4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CS78 said:

It cost us all a nice dark sky.

I have been wondering lately why we can't get Bryan/College Station to require fully shielded, warm-color LED lighting for exterior lighting. some of these gas stations and car dealerships are ridiculously bright. sorry to hijack the thread with this comment.
Rex Racer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PerdidoKey2030 said:

Check out link below. Passing on from information I found here on Texags last spring. Did it myself. Pro tip, take a picture of the front of your house, ask AI- Claude to generate the best outdoor lighting display with six lights. Then just copy it.

https://www.costco.com/p/-/volt-low-voltage-led-outdoor-spotlight-6-pack-kit-with-100w-transformer/100477815?langId=-1

I'm guessing the OP is referring to this kind of lighting.

Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CS78 said:

It cost us all a nice dark sky.

They ain't that bright.
Bucketrunner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
But most times, they are tacky
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
and a total
waste of money
Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If only we had that thing called 'freedom' to spend money on what we like, no matter how tacky it is.
Tim Weaver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
drred4 said:

CS78 said:

It cost us all a nice dark sky.

I have been wondering lately why we can't get Bryan/College Station to require fully shielded, warm-color LED lighting for exterior lighting. some of these gas stations and car dealerships are ridiculously bright. sorry to hijack the thread with this comment.

This. Some of the gas stations are downright blinding in certain conditions. It's crazy how bad the glare is off of these crappy blue-white LED's are.



As for the OP, I wouldn't mind a the full color lighting. I'd probably have it in red most of the time but could see myself doing holiday colors too. Dim Red won't kill your night vision, or mess up the dark sky. Unlike my neighbors who have weapons-grade LED floodlights outside their garage.
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?


Remember Omega Man (1971), Now that was a well lit house.
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Neighbors have them. They light them for every holiday. Flashing lights 60-70 nights per year. Otherwise they're on white every night. Flashing.

They look cheap. Make the neighborhood feel cheap. They're a blight on the night sky.
Bucketrunner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who wants their neighborhood to look like the Las Vegas strip? Apparently some folks think it's a wealth flex, but they really aren't that at all.
Ag97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live about 3 miles outside city limits of Bryan. We've had a couple of developments go up within a half mile of us over the past 5 years. I get up most mornings around 5 to go running. I'm amazed at how many of the houses in these developments have multiple lights on all night long. I'm not talking a front porch light by the front door. I'm talking flood lights that keep their front and back yards lit up all night. Landscaping lights on all night. Up lighting in trees. These new LED strips that light up the entire roofline all year round.

It's inconsiderate and in my humble opinion a form of pollution. Just like these people wouldn't want me constantly having chemicals that have bad smelling fumes floating across their property lines all night or all day, most of us don't want their flood lights lighting up dozens of yards of area outside their property lines. Put the lights on timers and have them off by say 10 PM. Put motion sensors on them so they only light up when someone is coming up the driveway.

Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Most neighborhoods have street lights that make for far more pollution than house lights. Lights on houses are also a theft deterrent, and neighborhoods with a lot of houses are the primary target for vehicle break-ins.

Furthermore, if someone wants to have control over how much light is outside then they should move somewhere other than a neighborhood.
Ag97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No street lights in this neighborhood. I didn't move into the neighborhood, the neighborhood moved into the pasture down down the road. We're at least a mile or two outside the city limits. These people moved out here on 2 to 3 acres each to get out of the city and on larger property. They brought the city with them. My motion lights work great when people are around. If they used them also instead of leaving lights on all night long it would be easier to notice potential criminal activity if every other house wasn't lit up like a Christmas tree.

I get why these people move out here but let's be honest, a lot of them aren't the greatest neighbors. Lights, loud music lot's more litter in the ditches since they moved in.
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Street lights don't flash or change color.
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We live very rural, been here 22 yrs, the big city of Snook is several miles away. 300+ acre ranch across the road got cutup/subdivided, and a recent build includes all-night lighting, all around three buildings. I simply don't know what they're afraid of, or solving. Fortunately it's a half-mile before our place, which has one backyard/driveway LED pole light. And some 2W lights at the entrance gate.
Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
75AG said:

Street lights don't flash or change color.

I have three neighbors that have them. One next door and two across the street. I NEVER see them unless I'm outside looking at them. Even then, they barely cast enough light to shine onto the house. Not even enough to illuminate the ground at all. There is a street light across the street and one house over. It lights up far more. Even with all of that, I can see the stars pretty damn easily on a clear night.

I just don't think y'all like the idea or concept of them. Which is fine. Just weird to tell someone they have no decency because of your dislikes when I'm sure there is plenty y'all do your neighbors hate.
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nowhere in any of my comments did I say anything about a person's decency.

As for the flashing lights, it depends on where, how close, and how long they run each night. My closest neighbors had the decency to turn them off at midnight. But until then, the lights reflect into one of our guest bedrooms.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.