It is time for a by-pass for Highway 6, around Hearne.

2,880 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by techno-ag
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?

It is time for a by-pass for Highway 6, around Hearne.

FlyRod
But then all new businesses will be…too far from it.
halibut sinclair
That would make Hearne ever deader than it is now.
Jbob04
AG
Your terms are acceptable
Hornbeck
AG
FlyRod said:

But then all new businesses will be…too far from it.

The McDonalds or the gas station? Or the combo McDonalds and gas station?
techno-ag
AG
The new interstate will go around Hearne.
ChampsAg
I haven't stopped at a business in Hearne since I worked for UniFirst. The McDonalds is horrible from all accounts that I've heard. We stopped at the Mexican food place on the north end coming back from Franklin once.

Bypass has been needed for a while.
Buford T. Justice
AG
<Insert Rocky 4 Drago line.>
TheTexian
AG
Hearne's got a Starbucks now, which was a shock.
woodiewood
There a number of new businesses in the downtown area including two sit-down restaurants, ice creme parlor, a large sports workout spot, and three or four renovated office buildings. Hearne will never be a thriving destination city, but it appears to be coming back a little.

histag10
AG
They have already started planning for the new interstate to serve as a bypass around Hearne/6. TXDOT has had at least 2 meetings in Hearne about it. They haven't decided the best route for it yet, though. The proposed path going to the west of Hearne (with 6 connecting on both sides) would mostly go through farmland. If it goes on the east side of Hearne, it would run behind the park and cemetery, crossing black jack rd. The current proposed route to the east does NOT have it joining FM2549, meaning it would carve a path through dozens of properties, including skirting my MIL's property (a lot of properties in that area are 5-25 acres).

Regardless, traffic in Hearne on 6 gets insane sometimes, and people desperately try to find alt routes by cutting through neighborhoods, and it's annoying.
BrazosWifi
woodiewood said:

There a number of new businesses in the downtown area including two sit-down restaurants, ice creme parlor, a large sports workout spot, and three or four renovated office buildings. Hearne will never be a thriving destination city, but it appears to be coming back a little.

The restaurants in downtown Hearne are great.
The Pony Express has a fantastic Chicken Fried Steak.
El Alamo has fantastic salsa.

I don't get up to Hearne often but I try to patronize the local establishments if at all possible.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
halibut sinclair
techno-ag said:

The new interstate will go around Hearne.

In 50 years
Justified
The pony express has great food! I love the garlic Parmesan wings. Mary's isn't bad either. The Dixie cafe is good as well.
jello123
IMO Giddings badly needs a 290 bypass/loop and likely will eventually get one! The mobility study planned has been paused through Aug 2025. https://kwhi.com/2024/09/28/highway-290-mobility-study-in-giddings-on-pause/
histag10
AG
Holy frijoles, Batman! I had to go to Brookshire Brothers in Hearne today to grab a few things for dinner when I picked my kids up from my MIL this afternoon. It took me about 8-10 minutes to turn left onto 79/190 to go over the bridge towards Black Jack because traffic was such a cluster **** coming that way from the detour. And the amount of people trying to find quicker ways through the neighborhoods blatantly ignoring stop signs and yield signs is a recipe for disaster.
Jbob04
AG
Hwy 6 in Hearne is closed today through Monday to repair the railroad crossing.

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/10/17/detours-set-begin-highway-6-hearne-railroad-repairs/?tbref=hp

Oops just realized this was posted in the OP lol
histag10
AG
Yes. That is what this whole thread is about....

I was simply saying what a cluster **** the detour is, and the issues it is creating in town...
Jbob04
AG
histag10 said:

I was simply saying what a cluster **** the detour is, and the issues it is creating in town...

Sorry been a long day. I read this thread earlier today and forgot what it was about
histag10
AG
No worries. I have 3 kids- most days I'm lost in the fog of mom brain.
PS3D
histag10 said:

The "official" detours take you MILES out of the way. You can wiggle through the city streets without losing all those miles.

Or, just go to Caldwell-Milano-Cameron as if you were going to Temple, then shoot up 77 directly to Waco.

If you're going to Dallas or further north, take 21 to I-45.
curry97
AG
77 is closed between Lott and Chilton.
curry97
AG
I have a close friend who lives on Black Jack just East of town and was telling stories just from today of all the idiots including 18 wheelers u turning on a 4 lane highway because they didn't pay attention to the detour.
histag10
AG
It was bad. Yeah-my MIL lives off a side road of Black Jack not far past the city limits. I think she is on the first road past Te-Jos.

If I didn't have to run to Brookshire, I would have avoided it all completely, as I usually take black jack to dunns fort rd to OSR to get home.
woodiewood1
BrazosWifi said:

woodiewood said:

I don't get up to Hearne often but I try to patronize the local establishments if at all possible.
the restaurant in the old post office has a game room in the basement.
ezmoney
AG
BrazosWifi said:

woodiewood said:

Appreciate the insight. Going to have to try them.
maroon barchetta
What kind of game room?
kyledr04
AG
ChampsAg said:

I haven't stopped at a business in Hearne since I worked for UniFirst. The McDonalds is horrible from all accounts that I've heard. We stopped at the Mexican food place on the north end coming back from Franklin once.

Bypass has been needed for a while.

El Alamo in downtown is excellent. Definitely get some tamales, enchiladas, and queso.

They've had plans for years to do a bypass but never got going.
robcovol
Avoid Hearne at all costs on a Friday, especially the afternoon, when the Aggies are playing at home.
hopeandrealchange
I would not hold my breath. From what I am seeing funding for many TXDOT projects has been postponed indefinitely.
doubledog

Hey TxDOT... We need a by-pass around Hearne NOW.
histag10
AG
Not surprising.

Also- don't drive down OSR towards Normangee. TxDot has torn it up again, and running it at 1 lane during the day. After 5pm, it's just a pothole filled dirt road now.
woodiewood
jello123 said:

IMO Giddings badly needs a 290 bypass/loop and likely will eventually get one! The mobility study planned has been paused through Aug 2025. https://kwhi.com/2024/09/28/highway-290-mobility-study-in-giddings-on-pause/
Giddings probably needs a bypass before Hearne. Not only is the distance through Giddings farther, but the traffic count is higher. Giddings Hwy 290 averages 35,000 vehicles a day and Hearne Hwy 6 averages 24,000.

I drive Hwy 290 from Brenham to Giddings and beyound at least once a week and it's a race track with vehicles, including 18 wheelers, going 85 mph and higher. There was a wreck near Burton last Friday that had three 18 wheelers and four cars and trucks spread all over the roadway and medium going towards Brenham. They were re-routing everyone down southward down Farm to Market roads.
techno-ag
AG
woodiewood said:

jello123 said:

Giddings probably needs a bypass before Hearne. Not only is the distance through Giddings farther, but the traffic count is higher. Giddings Hwy 290 averages 35,000 vehicles a day and Hearne Hwy 6 averages 24,000.

Why not both?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.