Seeking Support for My Mom - Victim of Violent Crime

2,653 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by cdo11
cdo11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy y'all,

I'm seeking support from my fellow Aggies in a deeply personal matter. Thirty years ago, while my sister and I played upstairs, my mom was brutally attacked and sexually assaulted in the laundry room of our home in Surfside. The man responsible, Scott Travis Baughman, is now up for parole for the first time. My family is determined to do everything we can to ensure he remains behind bars where he belongs.

In 2022, nearly half (41%) of parole eligible violent aggravated sexual assault offenders were granted parole. This is why every voice truly matters. I'm hoping some of you would be willing to take a few minutes to write to the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles protesting his parole. Even a brief email with a single sentence can make a difference! Please feel free to share this request with your friends, family, and coworkers as well.

Here's how you can help:
  • Email or mail your letter to:
    • TDCJ Victim Services Division
    • 8712 Shoal Creek Blvd. Suite 265
    • Austin, TX 78757
    • Email: victim.svc@tdcj.texas.gov
  • Include this information about the inmate:
    • INMATE: Baughman, Scott Travis
    • SID#: 05303615
    • TDCJ#: 00741221
To share more about my family's story, I've included links to my mom's letter and my letter below.

Vicki Osgood's Letter

Cody Osgood's Letter

I understand this is a difficult subject and any support is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
The Osgood Family -- Vicki, David, Cody '11, Kelsey '15
Email me at cdosgood11@gmail.com.
EliteElectric
God bless you and your family. I read both letters and it brought me to tears. Violent crime doesn't just affect the immediate victim, it makes victims of entire families.

Our family knows this all too well. Your letter in particular resonated with me. I sit in restaurants with my face to the door, I always park my truck where I can get out, I am always carrying. That's what the guy did to us.

I will have my letter in the mail today.
www.elitellp.net/

cdo11
AG
Thank you for the kind words and for writing a letter. I'm sorry that we share those traits and hope your family is doing well.

As an aside, I just had some electrical work done by your guys and receiving this response makes my already good experience feel that much better.
MsDoubleD81
busdriver88
AG
Letter sent. Keep us posted. Those two letters are heartbreaking.
There may not be time to do the job right, but there is always time to do the job over!!
spike427
AG
Emailed

I just can't imagine. Thank you for posting.
cdo11
AG
Thank you so very much! I will definitely update y'all. We just found out we should know the vote in about a month. Just got back from an emotional 24 hours in Amarillo, hopeful we get good news in a month or so.
cdo11
AG
Thank you for the email. Really truly appreciate it. And I'll be sure and update everyone once we know.
1Aggie99
AG
Wow... that's a tough read and can't imagine how hard it was to write. Your momma is one tough woman!

I have an idea but curious. Why are they dated March 2023? Is this his second bite at the apple (parole)? When is his parole review date?
One Louder
AG
That was terrifying to read. I'm so sorry.

As an aside, my first child was born the day after your mother's attack. I can't imagine the terror she must have felt for the safety of her own children that day.

I'll be sending a letter.
cdo11
AG
Thank you for asking! I'm sure other people have the same question. I'll start off by saying the parole process is long, and we've been preparing for his first parole review for a while now. We knew gathering a lot of support would take time, so we wrote our letters early. This allowed us to share our story effectively when asking for help, ensured our letters were first in his file, and helped us be prepared to answer questions about the process.

We actually started seeking letters of support last May through social media and word of mouth. This February, we were interviewed by Randy Wallace of Fox26 in Houston and my mom sat down with The Facts, the local newspaper back home to raise awareness. We've had mostly positive feedback, aside from a couple of instances. One being a friend of Scott's, after visiting him, sought my mom out on Facebook and argued that our family needed to find Jesus and forgive him and what we were doing was wrong. Personally, that incident reinforced how important it is for us to continue gathering support.

I was initially hesitant to post on TexAgs due to a previous negative experience sharing our story with another organization I am a member of. So, I reached out to the staff and it took them a few weeks to get back to me, but when they did they told me if I posted it on my regional forum that would be fine.

He was technically eligible for parole on August 2nd, 2024, but the parole board is behind schedule. Last week my mom was contacted to schedule her interview with the lead voter. So, we all booked flights to Amarillo and she had that meeting yesterday with my sister and I in the room for support. My dad knew he would be too emotional and waited outside. A normal parole vote only involves one office, but because this is an aggravated sexual assault, all 7 board members must vote, and Scott needs 2/3 approval to be paroled. Therefore, we need 3 votes to deny parole. The lead voter told us that the voting process usually takes a month or so.

We were told to continue sending letters of support because all letters become a permanent part of his file and will be considered in any future parole reviews or if he re-offends. If they deny his parole, the next review could be scheduled anywhere from 1 to 10 years from now. We've, of course, requested the maximum.

I know that was WAY more information than you originally asked for, but hopefully it answers your questions as well as any others people may have. Happy to discuss or answer anything.
cdo11
AG
Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. Yes, honestly, this past year that's been on my mind a bunch. The fact that my mom's first thought when he came for her as well as when she woke up, wasn't about herself or her injuries, it was my sister and I.

She has always been an amazing woman and a wonderful mom. Of course we fought throughout the years like most kids and their parents do, but one thing I always knew to be 100% true no matter the situation was that my mom loved me unconditionally with her entire self.
1Aggie99
AG
Understandable. Thanks for clarifying.

If I can make a suggestion based off a few assumptions and information that can be found in short order. I would send a short/to the point email to every republican state rep whose district touches I10 and I45 from Katy to Galveston. I would also include Gov, Lt Gov and AG.

Something like…. By my best guess, Scott Travis Baughman most likely used the I10/I45 corridors before and/or after the crime for which he was convicted. This path just so happens to pass through each of your districts. Now maybe Mr. Baughman is a changed man, turned his life over to God, and will work everyday to try and make amends for his unspeakable crimes, maybe. However, it is also possible, Mr. Baughman has spent the last 29 years plotting, studying, and learning from some of the worst criminals our state has to offer. Maybe he is just waiting for the day he is released, the day he can hunt down his next victim, and maybe this time he doesn't leave any witnesses behind, maybe. The only reason I am writing you all is because that is too many MAYBE's for me, how about you?

I respectfully ask that you read the two attached letters and do the right thing. Please keep this animal in the cage he deserves to spend the rest of his life in.

Just a thought. All it takes is one rep to make a call and your votes will come.

Best of luck.
EliteElectric
I agree, I would reach out to politicians and media. It's an election year so politicians will be eager to "appear" tough on crime.
www.elitellp.net/

cdo11
AG
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm surprised we hadn't thought of it, so this really helped. I've already talked to my family and we're going to work on getting this done before this weekend.
1Aggie99
AG
23 - Teri Leo Wilson
24 - Greg Bennen
26 - Jacey Jetton
129 - Dennis Paul
132 - Mike Schofield
133 - Mano DeAyala - he may have served on board of P and P
138 - Lacey Hull

Fact check me but I think these have it covered.
cdo11
AG
Thank you! I will double check, but either way this is so helpful.
EliteElectric
Quote:

Thank you for contacting the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) Victim Services Division. This is confirmation to inform you that the Victim Services Division has received your email and will place it in the offender's file for the Board's review. All letters are placed in the offender's file permanently and are kept confidential; the offender will never see any protest material submitted. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your thoughts on this case.

If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us toll-free at 1-800-848-4284, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Sincerely,
Texas Department of Criminal Justice Victim Services Division
8712 Shoal Creek Blvd. Suite 265
Austin, Texas 78757-6899
www.elitellp.net/

One Louder
AG
Email sent. Prayers for a good outcome.
cdo11
AG
Thank you!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.