Why are local car dealerships so hard to buy from

9,254 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by dubi
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Yep us too. Won't be giving then a try ever again with how our last experience went.
Hornbeck
AG
ElephantRider said:

dubi said:

Talk to the GM; they will negotiate and they will remove the apex too.
They told us directly that they would not remove it and that we had to pay for it when we were looking at a Palisade a few years ago. Was not up for discussion.

Looking at a Palolisade for the wife right now. Thanks for the heads up. Won't even call them.
ComfortAg
AG
Cartographer said:

Thanks for the feedback.

It's probably not worth my time to go back or even call but, if you haven't looked through the new FTC rules, it's eye opening.

As of 2024 all of those fees and add-ons appear illegal.

Proposed 463.4(a) would require a motor vehicle dealer to disclose the true "Offering Price" of a vehicle in advertisements that reference specific vehicles or price or financing terms. Under the proposed rule, the "Offering Price" of a vehicle means "the full cash price for which a dealer will sell or finance the motor vehicle to any consumer," excluding only required government charges." [107]

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/07/13/2022-14214/motor-vehicle-dealers-trade-regulation-rule

You can just keep this in your back pocket if you need to deal with people again. Price on their site should = price you pay other than TTL.

Current status:
Quote:

On January 4, 2024, the Federal Trade Commission ("FTC" or "Commission") published a Final Rule in the Federal Register, titled "Combating Auto Retail Scams Trade Regulation Rule" ("CARS Rule," "Rule," or "Final Rule"), in order to curtail certain unfair or deceptive acts or practices by motor vehicle dealers. The CARS Rule was to become effective on July 30, 2024. Because of a pending legal challenge, this document announces that the effective date of the Final Rule is delayed until further notice.

legalbird
Lady at Ford dealership called me weeks after I made an inquiry. I told her I would never buy because of the add-ons. She said everybody does that now. I said, "whoever is telling you that is a liar." I went to Houston and got 10% off MSRP and no add ons.

That apex thing mentioned is not on the vehicle. Ask to see it before you test drive.

It is installed when you are doing the paperwork.
dubi
AG
Hornbeck said:

ElephantRider said:

dubi said:

Talk to the GM; they will negotiate and they will remove the apex too.
They told us directly that they would not remove it and that we had to pay for it when we were looking at a Palisade a few years ago. Was not up for discussion.

Looking at a Palolisade for the wife right now. Thanks for the heads up. Won't even call them.
We did not pay for the Apex on our Santa Cruz that we purchased from CS Hyundai.

Their lot is full of cars so I think they will make deals now. Several years ago their lot was empty so they could set the price with zero negotiation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.