Amazon/USPS Struggling Again?

18,684 Views | 269 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by trouble
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Most of the time, I get nearly everything in 3 days or less.
KidDoc
AG
All of my items have been 5+ days since July. We did order some grad gifts for a God-daughter in Missouri City in early July and she received them in 1-2 days after ordering.

Scrolling back to late June I was receiving everything within 2-3 days. Clear change happened in mid July.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MsDoubleD81
AG
I just put something in my cart and changed the delivery for a small podunk town in central Texas. Delivery in 2 days.
trouble
AG
Beryl made landfall July 8
MsDoubleD81
AG
Does anyone know exactly what they are stocking at the drone facility that gets delivered in an hour?
Hornbeck
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

Does anyone know exactly what they are stocking at the drone facility that gets delivered in an hour?

A very small, limited subset of Amazon stuff. 99.9% of the stuff we buy from Amazon is not available.
doubledog
trouble said:

Spring semester doesn't have as much since most people stay where they were for the fall.
Ok, let us say August to September (~ 2 months) and November to January (~2 months) That gives us about 4 months of the year Amazon slow down for the BCS area... 1/3 of the year is what I consider a good chunk of time that someone at the local USPS should plan for, or am I expecting too much?
Charpie
AG
So I just conducted a little experiment. I put 5 random things in my cart. I can have them delivered to Bryan and they will be here Sunday through Tuesday. But if I choose to pick them up at Century Square, they will be here Thursday through Sunday.
dubi
AG
Charpie said:

So I just conducted a little experiment. I put 5 random things in my cart. I can have them delivered to Bryan and they will be here Sunday through Tuesday. But if I choose to pick them up at Century Square, they will be here Thursday through Sunday.
I'm unwilling to visit Century Square to get a package. UGH
trouble
AG
doubledog said:

trouble said:

Spring semester doesn't have as much since most people stay where they were for the fall.
Ok, let us say August to September (~ 2 months) and November to January (~2 months) That gives us about 4 months of the year Amazon slow down for the BCS area... 1/3 of the year is what I consider a good chunk of time that someone at the local USPS should plan for, or am I expecting too much?

They do plan for it. They offer overtime and hire seasonal staff. They can't make people appear out of thin air.
Hornbeck
AG
Not at the rate they're paying. There is a dollar amount at which that happens, but that ain't it.
trouble
AG
That's not set by them though.
Hornbeck
AG
trouble said:

That's not set by them though.

Its almost like the people in charge want the USPS to fail….
trouble
AG
But they want to keep them as a punching bag
MsDoubleD81
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

I placed an order for a dog water bowl on August 21. It still hasn't shipped. But says delivery date is August 27 or 28 by 10 pm. USPS by 10 PM?

All of my orders have taken at least 5 days to ship.

Just got notice that the slobber stopper has shipped with UPS and delivery by 9 pm tomorrow.
doubledog
trouble said:

doubledog said:

trouble said:

They do plan for it. They offer overtime and hire seasonal staff. They can't make people appear out of thin air.
Since this happens every year than their plan is not working..
BucketofBalls99
BiochemAg97 said:

SlimM said:

This might be a dumb question, but I'll risk it in case it's not...
My Amazon packages all seem to take a week to be delivered. So if this is the case for everyone, how does that delay help USPS? In other words, doesn't it just move the exact same backlog problem one week into the future without actually solving anything?

They are dealing with a temporary increase in capacity. Yes, it is shifting volume to next week, but once the college students are settled and USPS can get caught up, Amazon will work its way back to 2 day.

Also, Amazon has been shifting at least some of the volume to UPS. At least, a larger % of the Amazon packages I have received have been UPS.

Hahaha…..once they get caught up this Fall it will roll right into the holiday season and we are all screwed again! It will be well into the Spring before we see any type of "slow down" with all of this, if at all

I guess make your plans for the holidays and get your stuff shipped early this year! Otherwise you will have an empty tree come Christmas Day!
trouble
AG
So what do you suggest they do? The local PO isn't able to offer a higher pay rate. They aren't able to waive any of the requirements for the job. How are they supposed to create more man hours?
MsDoubleD81
AG
Is the college student thing just here? Cause I checked Huntsville and Nacogdoches. Both have 2 day delivery.
threecatcorner
I now have 2 non-Amazon items that are later than originally estimated. One was supposed to be here yesterday and says it's going to be late (but no estimate of when it'll get here), and the other was supposed to arrive today but they changed the date to tomorrow and say "on time" even though that is not the date that it was saying in the first place. Yesterday it still said it was going to arrive today.

Both say "on the way to the next facility" but don't say where that facility is or when the packages might get to BCS.
Tailgate88
AG
I ordered a small electronic item from Amazon on Monday the 26th. Amazons says out for delivery today! We'll see.... came from the Humble distribution center so it was close by.
The Brazos Kid
Ordered a roll of drafting tape from Amazon on the 20th. It left Humble yesterday (27th) and out for delivery today. 8 days???

Tailgate88
AG
The Brazos Kid said:

Ordered a roll of drafting tape from Amazon on the 20th. It left Humble yesterday (27th) and out for delivery today. 8 days???

Mine have been running 5-6 days. This is the first two day in awhile.
dallasiteinsa02
Order something on Amazon July 27th. Shipped 7 days later and has been at almost every hub in the United States. A few of them twice. Currently targeted for a September 5th delivery.
Tailgate88
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

Order something on Amazon July 27th. Shipped 7 days later and has been at almost every hub in the United States. A few of them twice. Currently targeted for a September 5th delivery.

Ya gotta post that tracking for us all to enjoy.
threecatcorner
So the item that said "on time" (but had changed its estimated delivery date from yesterday to today) showed up today to the wrong address. It said it was left on the front porch, and our mail was there but no packages or large envelopes. I checked next door, and it was on their front porch (along with their packages / large envelopes).

The other item still says it's going to be late but gives no estimate of how late and says it's working its way through the system and is on the way to the next facility. This is the status they last updated on Aug. 26 at some distribution center in Massachusetts). They haven't updated any information since.
Charpie
AG
Odd.

I have lots of stuff that I subscribed to from Amazon. Cat and dog food and vitamins. They were supposed to be here Saturday. I got a notification that they are out for delivery…TODAY
Tailgate88
AG
The thing I ordered Monday did show up yesterday. However, it was in the same envelope with a book I ordered last Thursday that was supposed to arrive yesterday (six day delay). So my guess was the Amazon supercomputer realized a package was already queued to ship Monday and it added my additional small item to that shipment.
trouble
AG
Yup. I got everything I was waiting on yesterday even though some of it wasn't supposed to be here until Friday.
Charpie
AG
trouble said:

Yup. I got everything I was waiting on yesterday even though some of it wasn't supposed to be here until Friday.

It just occurred to me that we were supposed to have lunch this week since I'm going to be out west next week. I'm such a ****ty friend
trouble
AG
Yeah, you are. It's been nuts over here.
doubledog
trouble said:

So what do you suggest they do? The local PO isn't able to offer a higher pay rate. They aren't able to waive any of the requirements for the job. How are they supposed to create more man hours?
The question is what would a for-profit company would do.
trouble
AG
How many for profit companies do you know of that have their budgets controlled by Congress?
dubi
AG
trouble said:

How many for profit companies do you know of that have their budgets controlled by Congress?
Congress does not know the meaning of "budget".
doubledog
trouble said:

And therein lies the problem.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.