Amazon/USPS Struggling Again?

18,694 Views | 269 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by trouble
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trouble said:

The biggest issue right now is qualified candidates applying.
Please explain. Do they need to be able to read, drive, memorize a route, sort mail by zipcode, street address, pass the bar?... I will let the last one slide.
BiochemAg97
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

This has been going on for me way before students returned. More like after Beryl rolled thru.

North Houston processing center got backed up with Beryl. I think they may have been shut down for a bit.

OPAS sent out tickets to season ticket holders that week. And of course, mail from College Station goes to Houston. We were fortunate to get ours a few days later, but others were not. To the extent that a couple weeks later, OPAS sent out an email about it, with hope that they would be delivered in the next week, about 3-4 weeks after they mailed them out.

But I think the Beryl general postal delays rolled right in to the Amazon volume spike from returning students.
MsDoubleD81
AG
I don't remember it being an issue in the past.
trouble
AG
doubledog said:

trouble said:

The biggest issue right now is qualified candidates applying.
Please explain. Do they need to be able to read, drive, memorize a route, sort mail by zipcode, street address, pass the bar?... I will let the last one slide.

Pass a drug test. Get a certain score on the govt employee test (I think they are still doing that one). Have a valid driver's license and decent driving record. Have transportation to get to and from work.

Everyone is struggling to hire these days. I'm not sure why you think the post office is exempt from that.
trouble
AG
You don't remember the horrible delays after Harvey when part of the roof of the North Houston processing hub caved in?
MsDoubleD81
AG
I've only been here since 2020. I was talking about delays when students return.
trouble
AG
They haven't been as significant before since there wasn't a hurricane just before it. It's also seems a lot more students are moving less in then ordering lots of stuff from Amazon.
Mister Shipwreck
LOYAL AG said:

threecatcorner said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

The shipping time hasn't been the problem for me. It just takes 4 to 5 days for Amazon to even ship it.

Exactly. If Amazon would actually bother to ship stuff out in a timely manner, Prime would still be fast.

Have you read the whole thread? When Hearne and Caldwell are getting things in two days and BCS in seven Amazon isn't the problem. The agreement between the two orgs is that USPS can ask Amazon to throttle back shipping to certain zip codes during heavy periods. It's absolutely a USPS problem.

Yes, when I get something delivered to Caldwell, 2 days is not a problem. College Station... It is not happening.

In fact, when I ship to Caldwell, Amazon usually waits a day, and then they ship it from a TX location. And, it comes next day (still within the 2 days). This is a local issue .

Caldwell gets the mail from our area. How come they can do that, but not deliver locally?
BiochemAg97
AG
Mister Shipwreck said:

LOYAL AG said:

threecatcorner said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

The shipping time hasn't been the problem for me. It just takes 4 to 5 days for Amazon to even ship it.

Exactly. If Amazon would actually bother to ship stuff out in a timely manner, Prime would still be fast.

Have you read the whole thread? When Hearne and Caldwell are getting things in two days and BCS in seven Amazon isn't the problem. The agreement between the two orgs is that USPS can ask Amazon to throttle back shipping to certain zip codes during heavy periods. It's absolutely a USPS problem.

Yes, when I get something delivered to Caldwell, 2 days is not a problem. College Station... It is not happening.

In fact, when I ship to Caldwell, Amazon usually waits a day, and then they ship it from a TX location. And, it comes next day (still within the 2 days). This is a local issue .

Caldwell gets the mail from our area. How come they can do that, but not deliver locally?

I think that has been explained in this thread. USPS doesn't have enough delivery drivers in BCS to handle the normal mail delivery + the influx of students supplying their apartments/dorms from Amazon.

This is why USPS is looking to hire additional drivers and Amazon is looking to franchise local delivery here. But there doesn't seem to be anyone that wants to deliver for USPS or run the franchise for Amazon.
doubledog
Is USPS picking up the packages in Houston and delivering them to USPS Bryan/CS or does FedX or UPS handle that delivery?

The local Amazon drops (e.g. Century Square) are 2 day so the fault is locally. This is a reoccurring problem, hiring new USPS personnel seems to be off the table. Why hire personnel for August to December, just let the problem go away...

FYI - I will be opting out of the home delivery and using the Amazon drop.

Stupe
S
Amazon needs to partner with UPS and FedEx and completely dump USPS.

I work in Houston several times a month and I can remember every delivery issue that I've had there. It's been that few.

At my house...lost count.
MsDoubleD81
AG
I placed an order for a dog water bowl on August 21. It still hasn't shipped. But says delivery date is August 27 or 28 by 10 pm. USPS by 10 PM?

All of my orders have taken at least 5 days to ship.
BiochemAg97
AG
doubledog said:

Is USPS picking up the packages in Houston and delivering them to USPS Bryan/CS or does FedX or UPS handle that delivery?

The local Amazon drops (e.g. Century Square) are 2 day so the fault is locally. This is a reoccurring problem, hiring new USPS personnel seems to be off the table. Why hire personnel for August to December, just let the problem go away...

FYI - I will be opting out of the home delivery and using the Amazon drop.

I'm pretty sure Amazon delivers the packages to Bryan and then just need USPS for last mile.

Back when North Houston USPS was backed up and all packages were delayed, my Amazon prime deliveries in Bryan were 2 day.

Right now, we are seeing 2 day delivery from other places, but Amazon is throttled.
BiochemAg97
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

I placed an order for a dog water bowl on August 21. It still hasn't shipped. But says delivery date is August 27 or 28 by 10 pm. USPS by 10 PM?

All of my orders have taken at least 5 days to ship.

Almost all my package delivery notifications from USPS say by 9pm for us. Amazon or anyone else.

And yes, since USPS is limiting the delivery volume from Amazon, Amazon holds the product until the day before delivery, puts it on a truck and takes it to the Bryan Post Office for last mile delivery.
BiochemAg97
AG
Nvm. Replied to wrong post.
BiochemAg97
AG
Stupe said:

Amazon needs to partner with UPS and FedEx and completely dump USPS.

I work in Houston several times a month and I can remember every delivery issue that I've had there. It's been that few.

At my house...lost count.

Amazon would like someone to franchise delivery here, but has no takers.

You say drop USPS and go exclusively UPS or FedEx, but that would cost more. Part of the reason they deal with USPS throttling their delivery rate is because they have a sweet deal with USPS for last mile delivery.

Oh, UPS sure post is essentially the same thing. UPS delivers the package to USPS to finish the delivery. Hint: it is cheaper for them to do that than to deliver themselves.

So, how much more are you willing to pay for prime to have all your packages delivered by UPS/FedEx?
Mister Shipwreck
BiochemAg97 said:

Mister Shipwreck said:

LOYAL AG said:

threecatcorner said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

I think that has been explained in this thread. USPS doesn't have enough delivery drivers in BCS to handle the normal mail delivery + the influx of students supplying their apartments/dorms from Amazon.

This is why USPS is looking to hire additional drivers and Amazon is looking to franchise local delivery here. But there doesn't seem to be anyone that wants to deliver for USPS or run the franchise for Amazon.

Yes, but Amazon also completely holds off on shipping the item for a few days when you use a B/CS address, on top of the slow delivery process...
BiochemAg97
AG
Mister Shipwreck said:

BiochemAg97 said:

Mister Shipwreck said:

LOYAL AG said:

threecatcorner said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

Yes, but Amazon also completely holds off on shipping the item for a few days when you use a B/CS address, on top of the slow delivery process...

Amazon doesn't want roll multiple trucks full of packages to USPS Bryan and have them sit at the Bryan post office because Bryan can't deliver them. So they hold them and meter out what Bryan can deliver the next day.

Much better to hold the inventory at Amazon than to lose a bunch of packages.
Mister Shipwreck
BiochemAg97 said:

Mister Shipwreck said:

BiochemAg97 said:

Mister Shipwreck said:

LOYAL AG said:

threecatcorner said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

Amazon doesn't want roll multiple trucks full of packages to USPS Bryan and have them sit at the Bryan post office because Bryan can't deliver them. So they hold them and meter out what Bryan can deliver the next day.

Much better to hold the inventory at Amazon than to lose a bunch of packages.

I got that. I figured that out on my own before this thread ever started. I know.

I'm just pointing out that it sucks. 30 min away - and you get your package normally, even with it coming thru the Bryan facility to get to Caldwell. It's just messed up...
trouble
AG
It only comes through the sorting portion of Bryan though. It's scanned and reloaded on a truck. It never makes it into where the carriers do the final sort and load for delivery.
Stupe
S
Quote:

So, how much more are you willing to pay for prime to have all your packages delivered by UPS/FedEx?
Considering that I'm paying 139.00 right now and I don't trust delivery...I'm open.
KidDoc
AG
I had a patient dad who works for UPS today. He said USPS is just refusing to deliver Amazon at this time so they are having to pull 6000+ packages daily and deliver them. He said he is often getting done around midnight.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stupe
S
Refusing???
trouble
AG
Someone didn't tell my carrier. He brought me 2 today.
Charpie
AG
Stupe said:

Quote:

Considering that I'm paying 139.00 right now and I don't trust delivery...I'm open.
But how much money are you saving by paying $139?

You get Prime Video and prime music as well. You aren't paying for shipping. So get rid of prime, then count the cost of shipping for the stuff you want. If you use Amazon like I do, my membership pays for itself in about a month. Think about it. Your shipping costs depending on what you are ordering are going to be anywhere between 10-20 per package.
SlimM
AG
This might be a dumb question, but I'll risk it in case it's not...
My Amazon packages all seem to take a week to be delivered. So if this is the case for everyone, how does that delay help USPS? In other words, doesn't it just move the exact same backlog problem one week into the future without actually solving anything?
trouble
AG
They are delivering some just not all at once. I ordered 5 things at the end of last week. 2 came today and the other 3 are expected by Friday.
BiochemAg97
AG
SlimM said:

My Amazon packages all seem to take a week to be delivered. So if this is the case for everyone, how does that delay help USPS? In other words, doesn't it just move the exact same backlog problem one week into the future without actually solving anything?

They are dealing with a temporary increase in capacity. Yes, it is shifting volume to next week, but once the college students are settled and USPS can get caught up, Amazon will work its way back to 2 day.

Also, Amazon has been shifting at least some of the volume to UPS. At least, a larger % of the Amazon packages I have received have been UPS.
Mister Shipwreck
trouble said:

It only comes through the sorting portion of Bryan though. It's scanned and reloaded on a truck. It never makes it into where the carriers do the final sort and load for delivery.
I understand that too.

None of that changes the fact that the mail is STILL coming to Bryan, and you can get it in 2 days in Caldwell. But, you can't get it that way here in B/CS. And, that's not right, and it's messed up.

You keep making excuses for the situation. But, we know Amazon drags the process out by taking longer to ship packages to B/CS.

Yet, when asked, no good official reason gets made. Just pointless speculation in the occasional news story that pops up on this issue every few months.

There is no reason for that to be happening.
Charpie
AG
Mister Shipwreck said:

trouble said:

I understand that too.

None of that changes the fact that the mail is STILL coming to Bryan, and you can get it in 2 days in Caldwell. But, you can't get it that way here in B/CS. And, that's not right, and it's messed up.

You keep making excuses for the situation. But, we know Amazon drags the process out by taking longer to ship packages to B/CS.

Yet, when asked, no good official reason gets made. Just pointless speculation in the occasional news story that pops up on this issue every few months.

There is no reason for that to be happening.

But there is a reason. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it an excuse.

There seems to be an allotment of what can be shipped here based on how many packages versus couriers. Why would Amazon ship something now if there isn't capacity to deliver it?
threecatcorner
The post office has some very strange statuses on their tracking, even on stuff that's not from Amazon.

I have one item that was saying it should be here by tonight at 9 PM. It still said that this morning even though the last thing they had marked was it getting to some distribution place in Massachusetts yesterday. Seemed highly unlikely it'd get here today. Even if it got to the post office, I don't think they'd have gone back to pick it up after they'd finished with other packages.

They've now updated it to say it's "moving through the network" and is "on the way to the next facility." It gives no info about where the next facility is and there is no longer an estimated delivery date listed at all!

So, from "it'll be delivered today" to supposedly it's working its way through the system, don't worry about it, maybe it'll eventually show up.

This was not from Amazon. On Amazon, they just waited a week to send stuff out in the first place and when they actually sent it, it took a day, and it says "since you selected one-day shipping, it will only take one day once it ships" (not really what I care about; I want stuff that says 1-day shipping to actually arrive fast.)
threecatcorner
It's now been updated to say "arriving late" (since it's past the original delivery date) but not how late.
doubledog
BiochemAg97 said:

SlimM said:

They are dealing with a temporary increase in capacity. Yes, it is shifting volume to next week, but once the college students are settled and USPS can get caught up, Amazon will work its way back to 2 day.

Also, Amazon has been shifting at least some of the volume to UPS. At least, a larger % of the Amazon packages I have received have been UPS.

Until next semester and the holidays... FYI a good chunk of the year.
trouble
AG
Spring semester doesn't have as much since most people stay where they were for the fall.
Mister Shipwreck
trouble said:

Spring semester doesn't have as much since most people stay where they were for the fall.
I don't see this slow down tied to the fall semester. It seems to happen most of the year from my experience.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.