Amazon/USPS Struggling Again?

18,730 Views | 269 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by trouble
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
6 days for prime delivery as of last night. Ordered two things. And these are both items we checked locally for and were unable to find.

I really hate USPS. Will always pay extra for fedex or UPS if it's an option. Too bad even they sometimes hand it off to USPS.
MiMi
S
Quote:

I really hate USPS.
+1000

Ordered a large Halloween inflatable from Amazon on Aug 8. Showed delivery in 6 days, which was yesterday. Was out for delivery early yesterday morning but hadn't arrived by late evening. This morning, tracking showing it was left in my mailbox at 11:32pm last night. Of course, my mailbox is empty since there is no way the package would fit in it.

I'm hoping the USPS delivery driver was just clearing all of their assigned deliveries in the system and it may actually show up today??
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Yep, that's pretty typical. Our normal USPS person is pretty good, but when they have a sub that person has taken to leaving packages on top of our mailbox that is out at the street. Thieves don't even have to get out of their car to steal stuff now.
doubledog
Amazon Prime delivery for CoCS is 7 days and for Brenham it is 6 days. (~40miles difference)

This is a local issue.. CoCS/Bryan USPS is literally a day late and a dollar short.
AggiePhil
AG
Careful. UPS SurePost is a service sometimes offered that's completely handled by USPS (minus the pickup itself).
meezermom
Yep -- ordered something Tuesday and it is set for delivery on Sunday. I would actually pay MORE for my Prime membership if they would guarantee me they would only use UPS. This is beyond ridiculous.
maroon barchetta
Heard a radio ad for Amazon Pharmacy this morning on 99.5 The Fox.

Yeah. Ok. I'm going to trust USPS to get prescriptions to me in a timely manner or not steal them out of the package.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Been that way for at least a couple weeks. I ordered bungee cords and it gave me a week delivery.

Besides cookies, what exactly does the location stock for the one hour drone delivery?
AggiePhil
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Heard a radio ad for Amazon Pharmacy this morning on 99.5 The Fox.

Yeah. Ok. I'm going to trust USPS to get prescriptions to me in a timely manner or not steal them out of the package.
Been doing that for years with Express Scripts. Actually works pretty well.
Craig Regan 14
Just from a logistics POV:

given that we are 1hr+ plus drive from major city's creates a "last 2* mile" issue.

Meaning, you have two stops before it gets to us.

Houston
CS

And then it goes out for delivery. USPS has been working with an Uber like system of "here is your assignment - get it done when you can". In order to keep staff. Flex hours etc

That also creates a lag from the push and pull system of logistics.

Not making excuses but just sayin' I've spoke to some of the drivers and even they don't like the new system. While others, like my "mailman", likes it.

Amazon still has to push a lot of stuff here and they need expanded space. But FedEx/UPS have greatly expanded the OP's here. But still run into the last "2 mile" issue.
legalbird
If Amazon leadership wanted faster delivery times, it would happen. They just don't want to have the increased costs. They should, however, be honest and state that Prime does not apply in certain zip codes.
doubledog
Craig Regan 14 said:

Amazon still has to push a lot of stuff here and they need expanded space. But FedEx/UPS have greatly expanded the OP's here. But still run into the last "2 mile" issue.

So is Brenham. However my Amazon orders to Brenham are always a day earlier than CS.
I still think it is a local issue.
dallasiteinsa02
The shipping time hasn't been the problem for me. It just takes 4 to 5 days for Amazon to even ship it.
Craig Regan 14
Brenham also has a lot less volume.

More volume = more trucks

Less volume = less trucks which means you can drop off more orders with less trips.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that I think we live on this "island" and unless you can increase the weight carried, you are gonna hit the same issue.

Can we bring back river traffic on the Brazos ??

MsDoubleD81
AG
Glad it worked for you. USPS lost numerous prescriptions. And those lost packages count as a refill.

But now, I get my RX (90 days) from BSW pharmacy. Express Scripts was much more expensive that most retailers. And no more USPS involvement.
ElephantRider
AG
Again? When was USPS not struggling?
ElephantRider
AG
MiMi said:

Quote:

I really hate USPS.
+1000

Ordered a large Halloween inflatable from Amazon on Aug 8. Showed delivery in 6 days, which was yesterday. Was out for delivery early yesterday morning but hadn't arrived by late evening. This morning, tracking showing it was left in my mailbox at 11:32pm last night. Of course, my mailbox is empty since there is no way the package would fit in it.

I'm hoping the USPS delivery driver was just clearing all of their assigned deliveries in the system and it may actually show up today??
This is what pisses me off. It gets late and they mark everything delivered, then drop them off when they have time. It's been over a week for me, in some cases. The kicker is that when you try to complain to Amazon, they just say "looks like it was delivered, better talk to USPS", which is impossible.
Tailgate88
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

The shipping time hasn't been the problem for me. It just takes 4 to 5 days for Amazon to even ship it.
The USPS tells them not to ship it because they don't have the room to receive it at the post office, because they have multiple days of Amazon packages backed up ahead of it. Same thing that was happening back at Christmastime.

I just ordered a few items on Amazon ten minutes ago. The said they would be delivered Wednesday. I would normally expect Saturday, so they are six days out instead of two. I would bet they will actually show up on Monday or Tuesday based on recent history but we'll see.

Just for grins, I changed the delivery address to my daughter's college address in Houston - it said they would be delivered tomorrow.

This is all on the USPS locally.

So who's looking for a change in career? The Bryan area is available.

https://logistics.amazon.com/marketing/dsp-available-locations
doubledog
Craig Regan 14 said:

Brenham also has a lot less volume.

More volume = more trucks

Less volume = less trucks which means you can drop off more orders with less trips.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that I think we live on this "island" and unless you can increase the weight carried, you are gonna hit the same issue.

Can we bring back river traffic on the Brazos ??

I am trying to wrap my head around this.

What I take from this is that Brenham has the appropriate number of postal workers and trucks to do their job. Bryan/CS may not have enough workers and trucks to handle the job or they have the appropriate number of workers and trucks, however some of the workers are not pulling their weight.

Craig Regan 14
Not to get all nerdy but there is something called

"Aggregate lift capacity" - ALC

Meaning how much can be moved at any one day given demand.

So long as the demand does not exceed ALC then everything rings smoothly.

How this applies to Brenham in that the demand is not very high (population). So (for the sake of argument) you only need 2 trucks pushing & pulling logistics. Not a big deal

You increase demand - you have to compensate by increasing ALC. But if that ALC / demand becomes unprofitable then you have crossed the threshold of efficiency.

So they keep the same ALC and just take the extra day to avoid extra cost.

The USPS is used 90% of the time as the "last mile" for Amazon etc around here. FedEx and UPS have their own "last mile" because they maintain profitability by increasing prices. Which is why USPS is leaned on so heavily by Amazon. To keep prices low.

Again, super nerdy stuff but that is how the gears turn.

In order to increase "push" ALC - you have to hire more drivers - which means you have to pay more OR decrease demand to balance the ALC out.

Fun stuff, no?
maroon barchetta
More drones!!!!!
LOYAL AG
AG
legalbird said:

If Amazon leadership wanted faster delivery times, it would happen. They just don't want to have the increased costs. They should, however, be honest and state that Prime does not apply in certain zip codes.

That's doesn't fit the pattern. A month ago we had the normal two day delivery and six or so months ago we were having this same conversation about six day delivery times. Nothing changed on Amazon's side. It seems to come and go with the students which ultimately means local USPS can't handle the surge when the students return.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Stucco
Chances are either demand spiked or there was an issue at USPS causing a jam, and that jam takes weeks to clear when operating at capacity. Either way, USPS needs to increase the capacity in this area after these recurring issues.
etj77845
A tale of three packages:

1- Amazon Order scheduled for USPS delivery on 13th, received on 10th. Amazon tracking showed package still in Bryan yesterday.

2- Meds shipped via DHL transferred to USPS. DHL tracking says in Bryan on Tuesday still undelivered.

3- Amazon order package left Humble on 15th at 0100 and actually delivered at 1935 SAME DAY.

So I guess 1 out of 3 ain't bad for gumment.
Independence H-D
USPoS
TheOC16
AG
I canceled my Amazon membership last week because of this.
doubledog
Stucco said:

Chances are either demand spiked or there was an issue at USPS causing a jam, and that jam takes weeks to clear when operating at capacity. Either way, USPS needs to increase the capacity in this area after these recurring issues.
If there was only some way the local USPS could anticipate a spike in the delivery of mail and packages each year in mid August to CS and Bryan . Maybe a calendar would help. [/sarcasm]
KidDoc
AG
Almost all of my amazon orders are running 6 + days late. I have a hose reel that I tried to cancel and they said they couldn't because it already shipped. It is listed to arrive between August 20-September 20th....

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
KidDoc said:

Almost all of my amazon orders are running 6 + days late. I have a hose reel that I tried to cancel and they said they couldn't because it already shipped. It is listed to arrive between August 20-September 20th....

They have borrowed a slogan from a former employer of mine:

"If they don't get it when they want it, they'll want it when they get it"
Aggie@state.gov
AG
Our sign at the VFW bar in Caldwell:

Order what you want, drink what you get
maroon barchetta
Aggie@state.gov said:

Our sign at the VFW bar in Caldwell:

Order what you want, drink what you get
WolfCall
AG
Anyone know who and how to contact at Post Office to give kudos to our mail carrier who is stellar?
BiochemAg97
AG
Stucco said:

Kinda went down hill after beryl. Pretty sure I saw that the Houston processing station was closed (lost power?) for a while and then got backlogged again.

Seems that Amazon does a good job of not getting stuck in Houston by delivering the packages to Bryan, but Bryan still seems to have capacity issues whenever Houston gets jammed up. But Christmas and August probably don't help either.
Charpie
AG
It's really odd. I've been splitting my time between Bryan and rural West Texas. Lately I can get stuff shipped out there sooner than in Bryan. I'm talking an hour northwest of Abilene!
maroon barchetta
I have a friend that had a "getaway" house in Moran. It certainly was a getaway! There isn't anything there!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.