104.7 radio station this morning

6,339 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Jbob04
13B
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is something going on? At 6 am this morning I got in my truck to go to town. Turned on the radio and Erasure's "A Little Respect" was playing. As it was ending, it started again, then again. It has been playing the same song, over and over with no interruptions (except occasional station identification spots)all morning. It is 0830 and it is still going strong. I picture a disgruntled employee locked in the radio room giving management the finger and playing the same song over and over. Pretty dang funny!
Tailgate88
AG
Sometimes stations do things like this when they are changing formats? Who knows…
legalbird
Hats off to Vince Clark
maroon barchetta
Tailgate88 said:

Sometimes stations do things like this when they are changing formats? Who knows…

This.
maroon barchetta
When the legendary oldies station KQUE in Houston changed formats, they played a recording for 24 hours over and over that said "radio sucks" before changing to hip-hop.

The elder community in the Houston area was ready to riot.

Man. I didn't realize Google groups existed back then!
https://groups.google.com/g/houston.general/c/jPzfP0Nkgjc
Tailgate88
AG
104.7 is back on regular programming.
maroon barchetta
Maybe a DJ locked himself in the booth and played the song over and over like that guy did with a Billy Squier song in the 80's.
doubledog
Very long washroom break... Duh.
PS3D
maroon barchetta said:

Man. I didn't realize Google groups existed back then!

They didn't, those are archived Usenet postings hosted by Google.
maroon barchetta
I see!
Love Gun
104.7 did this back in the early 90's. Back when they were Kiss 105. This when they were set up that space in Manor East Mall. They kept playing the song Please Don't Go over and over for a whole weekend, I believe. It was annoying as crap. Something about a format change, but they kept playing the same genre of music.

**** Joe Biden
milner79
13B said:

Is something going on? At 6 am this morning I got in my truck to go to town. Turned on the radio and Erasure's "A Little Respect" was playing. As it was ending, it started again, then again. It has been playing the same song, over and over with no interruptions (except occasional station identification spots)all morning. It is 0830 and it is still going strong. I picture a disgruntled employee locked in the radio room giving management the finger and playing the same song over and over. Pretty dang funny!

maroon barchetta
13B
Exactly what I pictured!
Hornbeck
AG
Buford T. Justice
AG
When I arrived to Aggieland in '92, there was a radio station that played "Don't Hurt Me," aka The Night at the Roxbury song, for weeks, 24/7.
Independence H-D
It's called stunting. Definitely a format change coming. Dying stations in a dying industry.

Pulled off a station stunting one time with "song hooks" they were typically used for music testing. We called the station "hooks, playing only the best parts of your favorite songs".

Aggie_95
AG
Hit the road jack!!!!
Kbeauty63
AG
13B said:

I was gong to work before 6am Saturday & it was playing then as well. So, over 2.5+ hours. I hope they don't change the format!!
Independence H-D
It's gone. You don't stunt a station if you're not flipping the format.

It's been done that way for far too long. No originality.
meezermom
@Legal Bird - Hats off to YOU for making me realize I am NOT the only person in this town who knows who Vince Clarke is!!!
AggiePhil
AG
Most people don't realize radio stations these days are mostly run by computer. Friend of mine was a "DJ" on Aggie 96 a few years ago and VERY little of the content was live. Instead, a playlist is created ahead of time and the "show" plays automatically at a predetermined time. Song dedications and call-in slots are the only things he'd have to actually go in for. Which only took a few minutes, then he'd go back home and let the playlist run. Remote lives were done by phone.

It's crazy. Back in the day, you'd go up to the radio station and there'd be all kinds of people working, with the DJ live on the air in the studio. Now, there are like two people that work there and most are never actually in the building. Certainly not live on the air. Exceptions of course are the popular shows like Frito and Katy or whatever.
Independence H-D
KC Wheeler is the only body left in the building for the most part. At one point in time I was the ops manager for clear channel here. That was years ago and I ran four radio stations with six bodies.
Hornbeck
AG
Morning show people are usually the only talent that is in the studio and on air, maybe the afternoon drive home slot as well. Many stations have gone to very little non-syndicated content (looking at ClearChannel). It's sad, really.
Independence H-D
Most people have no idea how lucky they are that they have a station group locally owned that still believes in mostly live talent and certainly believes in serving the community interest. Bryan broadcasting is a rare outlier.
AggieOO
Hell, they were doing the Playlist back in the late 90s early 2000s too. I dated a girl for a bit who DJ'd on the weekends, and that's how they'd do it. She would record her show during the week. Would be weird to be out with her on a weekend, turn the radio on and she's hosting.
Independence H-D
Voice tracking. I was on the team that helped develop that for clear channel in Austin.
Hornbeck
AG
Early 90s, I did overnights for a local country station. We had a playlist, but we still spun the CDs. Cart tapes for the ads and station IDs, unless you just wanted to do a live station ID. Weather / News was reel to reel. Fun times. Made me 100% certain I wanted to not do radio for a career.

I'm betting KEOS and KANM are the only local stations with a majority of local DJs.
Charpie
AG
Hornbeck said:

Early 90s, I did overnights for a local country station. We had a playlist, but we still spun the CDs. Cart tapes for the ads and station IDs, unless you just wanted to do a live station ID. Weather / News was reel to reel. Fun times. Made me 100% certain I wanted to not do radio for a career.

I'm betting KEOS and KANM are the only local stations with a majority of local DJs.
I remember these days.

I was a DJ as my first career, or as my father would say, "Your fun job that will take you nowhere." I did this from 1993-2001 full time then voice tracked from my house up until last year. When I started in the RGV, it was cd's and carts. We got our first computer in the studio to play commercials. Then when I got my gig in Austin, everything was automated. Our company was the first to invent voice tracking(Gulf Star/AMFM) and Clear Channel made a bid to buy us. Little did we know it was because they wanted the voice tracking technology to fire people. For a woman, the industry was hard to be in. I was always worried about a bad ratings period and working 7 days a week sucked.

Yes, you should appreciate local live talent. They are a rare breed these days.
The Brazos Kid
I just want to be the top of the hour station ID guy before AI voice takes it all away.

Who's hiring??
Independence H-D
StarSystem! I miss those days Charpie! Best radio gig I ever had.
Charpie
AG
Independence H-D said:

StarSystem! I miss those days Charpie! Best radio gig I ever had.

FUN TIMES.

I miss it and I don't. But the people we great
Marooned_n_Aggieland
When is the Charp and Trouble morning show debuting on Internet radio or YouTube?
scd88
AG
Used to be fun to listen to the radio. Back in this era...

Independence H-D
Marooned_n_Aggieland said:

When is the Charp and Trouble morning show debuting on Internet radio or YouTube?

I would be down participating in that. You need a male's perspective in that show as well. Plus somebody's got to be the on-air punching bag for those ladies.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.