College Station Councilman Is Interested In Selling Parkland

5,236 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by maroon barchetta
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interested in hearing people's thoughts on this. It doesn't look like much of a park, but I also don't like getting rid of all the greenspace.

Quote:

A College Station councilman is interested in selling parkland for commercial development.

Dennis Maloney's comments came at the end of a July 16th budget workshop.

Maloney said he never sees anyone in EastGate Park, which is located behind commercial buildings facing Texas Avenue.

The 1.8 acre property is split by Walton Drive.
-----------
The value of the parkland, according to the Brazos Central Appraisal District (BCAD) is currently $9,900 dollars. BCAD's highest valuation in recent years was $434,380 in 2019.
https://wtaw.com/a-college-station-councilman-is-interested-in-selling-parkland/
EBrazosAg
AG
There is a big difference in 10k and 434k. Something about that makes no sense.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
It's public property, so isn't the CAD's appraised value essentially irrelevant? I never even knew this was a park. It's just a green space with some crepe myrtles planted in the middle. It looks like the 1.8 acres also includes the landscaped areas at the Texas Avenue intersection.

I see no issue selling it at market value. Thomas Park is only a few blocks away.
AggiePhil
AG
Sell it!
doubledog
AggiePhil said:

Sell it!
And refund the Tax payers... Oh wait....
maroon barchetta
I've seen the sign that says it's a park. There are zero amenities so it doesn't look like a park. I do see people walking with and playing with their dogs there sometimes.

PS3D
doubledog said:

AggiePhil said:

Sell it!
And refund the Tax payers... Oh wait....
People will act like this is a high crime for City of College Station to sell some vacant lots in Eastgate yet giving Bryan giving tax benefits to build on parkland is good civic leadership.
maroon barchetta

Captn_Ag05
AG
At least it is well maintained.
maroon barchetta
I like it when I see people playing frisbee with their dog or doing retriever training in that space.
Hittag1492
AG
I'll pay over-11k cash RIGHT NOW, lol. Geez…
AgTrip
I can't get to it because of all the Medians!
TexAg1987
Was probably dedicated as a park to save that tree. Tree looks dead now.

****EDIT****

Eastgate Park | College Station, Texas (cstx.gov)

This includes the islands with the sculpture. We have probably been dumping a ton of money in this "park" for a while. If the City sells it, it needs to get much more than the appraised value. I assume the islands aren't apart of this proposal?

Quote:

This park land was donated at the time College Hills Estates Subdivision was being developed. The two islands at Walton Drive and Texas Avenue were improved with planters and landscaping as part of the Texas Avenue widening project in 1998. In 1998, pier improvements at the pond were paid for by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department funds. The sculpture, "Eternal Winds" was installed in 2000 in the median at Walton Drive and Texas Avenue, as a permanent fixture in the park. The abstract sculpture was designed and created by artist Dr. Joe Smith from Caldwell, Texas.
techno-ag
AG
Hittag1492 said:

Lease it for $1?
techno-ag
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Prime spot for a new Ag Shack.
EliteElectric
techno-ag said:

maroon barchetta said:

4 story 16 units with 4 parking spots
BQ_90
AG
EliteElectric said:

techno-ag said:

maroon barchetta said:

4 story 16 units with 4 parking spots
and will have to pay to park on gameday saturdays
Hittag1492
AG
techno-ag said:

Hittag1492 said:

Lease it for $1?

Lol-perfect!
woodiewood
Captn_Ag05 said:

Interested in hearing people's thoughts on this. It doesn't look like much of a park, but I also don't like getting rid of all the greenspace.

Quote:

A College Station councilman is interested in selling parkland for commercial development.

Dennis Maloney's comments came at the end of a July 16th budget workshop.

Maloney said he never sees anyone in EastGate Park, which is located behind commercial buildings facing Texas Avenue.

The 1.8 acre property is split by Walton Drive.
-----------
The value of the parkland, according to the Brazos Central Appraisal District (BCAD) is currently $9,900 dollars. BCAD's highest valuation in recent years was $434,380 in 2019.
https://wtaw.com/a-college-station-councilman-is-interested-in-selling-parkland/

I would be interested in how often Baloney actually looks over to the park. I go by there four to five times a day most every day and seldom look that direction. Does he live down Walton?

Does he need the money to buy another vacant building at Post Oak Mall?
tu ag
AG
If Maloney came up with it, 90% chance it is a bad idea.
maroon barchetta
I'm sure the people that donated the land would be happy with the idea of just selling it.
birdman
Why didn't they sell the humongous City Hall lot just a few blocks away?
maroon barchetta
birdman said:

Why didn't they sell the humongous City Hall lot just a few blocks away?

We NeEd aTtEnTiOn
Hornbeck
AG
They could have sold prime property on Texas Ave, and built a less grandiose city hall in Midtown, or something south. Same with the police palace they built, and the overbuilt fire station on University.

Saving money, doing more with less, trying to minimize digging into the pockets of the people that fund everything, those are things we don't do here. They tend to spend like a giddy 16 yo with Daddy's credit card. However, Daddy is on the verge of bankruptcy, and his businesses are failing.
doubledog

Let's keep the park and move this to it (out of sight)
PS3D
maroon barchetta said:

I'm sure the people that donated the land would be happy with the idea of just selling it.
Pretty sure those people died a long time ago, and whatever deed or will limitations, if they even had any, expired a long time ago.

If you deed your property to _ISD after death with zero restrictions, they will probably sell it rather than building a school there as per intentions.
BQ_90
AG
doubledog said:

Let's keep the park and move this to it (out of sight)

But then will lose the billions of dollars of free advertising that has paid for the sign 10x over
maroon barchetta
I'll buy it and then sell it back to the city for eleventy-billion dollars in ten years.
Hornbeck
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I'll buy it and then sell it back to the city for eleventy-billion dollars in ten years.

This is a more likely scenario
woodiewood
Hornbeck said:

They could have sold prime property on Texas Ave, and built a less grandiose city hall in Midtown, or something south. Same with the police palace they built, and the overbuilt fire station on University.

Saving money, doing more with less, trying to minimize digging into the pockets of the people that fund everything, those are things we don't do here. They tend to spend like a giddy 16 yo with Daddy's credit card. However, Daddy is on the verge of bankruptcy, and his businesses are failing.
I don't have an issue with the size of city hall as it was built to be large enough for the city's needs for decades, but the same size of building could have been built off of the main street in town and the current location probably sold for 8+ millions $$$. The national hotel chains would fight over it.
zachsccr
AG
I've often referred to this as the "dumbest park I've ever seen".
Either make it useful or sell it. What's there now is stupid.
ReelAg6
Thomas Park is less than a quarter mile away. Sell this land and pay off debt.
Hittag1492
AG
ReelAg6 said:

I believe most anybody would agree. Trusting Maloney to sell
It for the proper amount and NOT to a "friend" would be the issue. There are only a select few of our city leaders even remotely trustworthy currently.
Hornbeck
AG
Hittag1492 said:

ReelAg6 said:

It for the proper amount and NOT to a "friend" would be the issue. There are only a select few of our city leaders even remotely trustworthy currently.

I can think of two that I'd trust to do that deal, and I'd watch those two closely. Sure wasn't the guy you mentioned.
Hittag1492
AG
Hornbeck said:

Hittag1492 said:

ReelAg6 said:

I can think of two that I'd trust to do that deal, and I'd watch those two closely. Sure wasn't the guy you mentioned.

Agreed
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.