Century Square parking and enforcement

3,503 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Stupe
MrChuxster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I see new parking meters in the Century Square multiuse area.

The city of College Station said they have nothing to do with parking enforcement.

Texas A&M University has told me they own the land, but they have nothing to do with parking or enforcement.

The parking meters seem to be placed and operated by LAZParking.com

What are the legalities of paying for a parking ticket from there?

[The OP was looking for answers to a question and not a bunch of replies that were complaints about the parking at Century Square. Posters that want to share their stories can find any of those threads and add to them. Thank you. -Staff]
SoTheySay
S
Per my most recent ticket "further infractions may result in additional citations and towing".

$25 if paid within a month of receipt
Then $35 the following month
$45 after that

I do not see anything regarding exactly what qualifies for me to be towed.
woodiewood
MrChuxster said:

I see new parking meters in the Century Square multiuse area.

The city of College Station said they have nothing to do with parking enforcement.

Texas A&M University has told me they own the land, but they have nothing to do with parking or enforcement.

The parking meters seem to be placed and operated by LAZParking.com

What are the legalities of paying for a parking ticket from there?
You could just ignor it and they probably can't do anything except send a demand letter to pay and if you don't pay they can hit your credit score for a late/no payment?
mason12
AG
I believe they are allowed to tow due to non payment even on the first time, but they use tickets basically like a warning system. I would be curious if you didn't pay once, but on all future visits you did pay…could they tow then.
Stupe
S
To answer the question by the OP....

Private parking lots don't have any legal recourse as far as affecting your ability to drive or driving your driving record.

They can turn you over to a collection agency
They can give you notice that further parking in the lot can involve a tow.

The only way that they can have any effect on you from a law enforcement standpoint is to put in a restraining order on your vehicle with the department that has jurisdiction.
That doesn't stop you from shopping, it just legally stops you from parking the vehicle with the tickets there. Violating that can result in a trespassing charge

(All of this is from a cop buddy that works in Houston)

camra
They aren't going to do anything
AgGunNut
AG
It is TAMU property leased to a private company. Think of the parking arrangement the same as an apartment complex or any other private property. If you don't abide by their rules, they can fine or tow you. If you don't pay the fine, they can send it to collections and seek other civil remedy.
dr_boogs
AG
Saw a Mercedes getting towed from Century Square, over close to the movie theater last weekend. Owner was not present so I don't think it was mechanical. Car appeared to be in working order. No idea if that helps y'all or not.
MrChuxster
Stupe said:

Private parking lots don't have any legal recourse as far as affecting your ability to drive or driving your driving record.

The only way that they can have any effect on you from a law enforcement standpoint is to put in a restraining order on your vehicle with the department that has jurisdiction.
That doesn't stop you from shopping, it just legally stops you from parking the vehicle with the tickets there. Violating that can result in a trespassing charge

Its interesting, because to turn over to collections, I would think I'd have to have agreed to some business transaction or relationship.

In its simplest form, if I put a sign in my driveway that says if you park there, you have to pay me $25, and you park there and don't pay me, do I have legal right to send the bill to you and then collections?

You'd think a public shopping center wouldn't have paid parking, but it does, but does that give them legal recourse in some facet?

Its only $45, but it's an aggravating principle to me.

mnuge
AG
I'm pretty sure the only recourse is to tow the car when it returns.
Have been told that you have to have hundreds of dollars of tickets to get towed. Now, of course, after I was told that my wife got towed the next week with 3 tickets totaling $75.

If a student parks and walks across the street they'll tow immediately
LOYAL AG
AG
MrChuxster said:

Stupe said:

Its interesting, because to turn over to collections, I would think I'd have to have agreed to some business transaction or relationship.

In its simplest form, if I put a sign in my driveway that says if you park there, you have to pay me $25, and you park there and don't pay me, do I have legal right to send the bill to you and then collections?

You'd think a public shopping center wouldn't have paid parking, but it does, but does that give them legal recourse in some facet?

Not a lawyer but the parking lot is their land and they have a right to charge for parking if they want to. I would think as long as they told you there was a fee to park and you decided to park knowing the fee existed then yes you agreed to a business transaction. They don't have to allow you to park there and if you don't want to abide by their terms you shouldn't expect to be allowed to park there.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Stupe
S
Quote:

1. Its interesting, because to turn over to collections, I would think I'd have to have agreed to some business transaction or relationship.

2. In its simplest form, if I put a sign in my driveway that says if you park there, you have to pay me $25, and you park there and don't pay me, do I have legal right to send the bill to you and then collections?

3. You'd think a public shopping center wouldn't have paid parking, but it does, but does that give them legal recourse in some facet?

4. Its only $45, but it's an aggravating principle to me.
I added the numbers so I could give you the answers I was given.

1. If there are signs posted, the agreement is entered when you park on the property.

2. That is probably a civil case between two people unless you run a business out of your house.

3. It's public access but whoever owns or manages the property can set their own parking rules. The "legal" recourse is towing if there are official towing signs. They can also put the equivalent of a restraining order on the vehicle if they choose. If that's ignored, they can file a trespassing complaint.

Stupe
S
Quote:

I can't stand paid parking.

I also completely disagree with that statement.

It's posted everywhere that it's a paid parking lot. If someone disregards it and they get a ticket, it's their fault.

You don't have "principal" to stand on if you knowing violate a rule on someone else's property.

Edit: I don't meany you, personally. I meant that as a generic term.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.