Brazos Transit wants LOTS of local tax $$$$

3,633 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by woodiewood
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Increased population numbers for Brazos (and surrounding counties) negatively impacted the massive Federal and State tax $$$ subsidies, to operate the empty or almost empty buses.
So now BTD is looking for local tax $$, the request to College Station is $340,0000!!

The last known BTD financial report had ridership revenue at approximately 5% of their budget. Tax $$ subsidies of mass transit is common....but a 95% rate is ridiculous.

Brazos County and Bryan numbers are unkown.
Stucco
Kyle ditched their bus program for an alternate model of an Uber subsidy at a fraction of the cost. Before you say it isn't environmentally friendly, neither is driving around a bunch of empty busses all day.

Uber Kyle $3.14 | City of Kyle, Texas - Official Website
Tailgate88
AG
GSS said:

Increased population numbers for Brazos (and surrounding counties) negatively impacted the massive Federal and State tax $$$ subsidies, to operate the empty or almost empty buses.
So now BTD is looking for local tax $$, the request to College Station is $340,0000!!

The last known BTD financial report had ridership revenue at approximately 5% of their budget. Tax $$ subsidies of mass transit is common....but a 95% rate is ridiculous.

Y'all seen the Brazos Transit District office? It's REALLY nice. Taj Mahalish nice.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Costs a lot of money to drive empty buses around all day.
Stupe
S
I understand that there are people that need public transportation. Whether it be finances, broken personal transportation, or disability.

Those size busses are not needed.

Micro and mini busses that are ADA compliant are much cheaper to operate.
EBrazosAg
AG
[You have been on this board long enough to know that we do not allow vague accusations or rumor posts. -Staff]
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Hornbeck
AG
Tailgate88 said:

GSS said:

Y'all seen the Brazos Transit District office? It's REALLY nice. Taj Mahalish nice.

Kinda like CS City Hall? Or like the Police Station?
GSS
Stupe said:

I understand that there are people that need public transportation. Whether it be finances, broken personal transportation, or disability.

Those size busses are not needed.

Micro and mini busses that are ADA compliant are much cheaper to operate.
No doubt some form of transportation help is needed, for some in society. But the decades-old BTD "experiment" it the epitome of the "insanity" definition, doing the same thing over and over, yet expecting different results...at tremendous cost to the taxpayers.
techno-ag
AG
Someone on here pointed out long ago that it's cheaper to just pay for an Uber for anyone needing a ride.
Stupe
S
Quote:

No doubt some form of transportation help is needed, for some in society. But the decades-old BTD "experiment" it the epitome of the "insanity" definition, doing the same thing over and over, yet expecting different results...at tremendous cost to the taxpayers.
I agree.
91_Aggie
AG
techno-ag said:

Someone on here pointed out long ago that it's cheaper to just pay for an Uber for anyone needing a ride.

While I think brazos tramsit Is not needed at current levels and you are somewhat joking, if people had option to use uber and city/county paid for it, the "ridership" would skyrocket and you'd still have the high level employees running it
Craig Regan 14
Stucco said:

Kyle ditched their bus program for an alternate model of an Uber subsidy at a fraction of the cost. Before you say it isn't environmentally friendly, neither is driving around a bunch of empty busses all day.

Uber Kyle $3.14 | City of Kyle, Texas - Official Website
took the words right outta my mouth.

But only energy and focus will actually produce something. Activity! Activity! Activity!
techno-ag
AG
91_Aggie said:

techno-ag said:

While I think brazos tramsit Is not needed at current levels and you are somewhat joking, if people had option to use uber and city/county paid for it, the "ridership" would skyrocket and you'd still have the high level employees running it

FTR it wasn't my idea but it was mentioned years ago on here a previous time the transit system was discussed. And as mentioned above it does seem to work well as a subsidy program for the City of Kyle.
tu ag
AG
BTD is the dumbest solution to a problem we have around here and that is saying a lot, since there are a bunch of dumb solutions.

Students ride busses in this town, nobody else does. I bet 90% of the time I see a BTD bus it is 100% empty.
Grmpy
What I continue to read people need to move out of tax districts wasting money. Can't escape county, but need to leave the cities.
woodiewood
I bet that you could make available five to ten $20 Uber tickets a month to every family that rides the buses and that would be half to cost to the taxpayers of the program cost now.
Hornbeck
AG
tu ag said:

BTD is the dumbest solution to a problem we have around here and that is saying a lot, since there are a bunch of dumb solutions.

Students ride busses in this town, nobody else does. I bet 90% of the time I see a BTD bus it is 100% empty.

I see a few people on them, but they are mostly empty.
Chrundle the Great
AG
I used to drive to work from 7:30-8:00 along Texas Ave through bryan and I'd see riders waiting at the stops just about every day. Enough to naturally stay out of the right lane if I saw the bus was ahead of me. Always somebody near the main terminal, heb, and east 29th.

I do think that was their peak service (or right towards the end of it) though and I'd see the same 5ish people every day, slightly more pre-covid.
GSS
Tons of what-if info, and scenarious in the attached link:
BCSMPO (budget numbers on page 12)

but the bottom line is for FY 2022, BTD operating costs for B-CS were $5,784,000, with "Farebox Revenue" of $212,911....less than 4% of their operating budget.

And....due to the "TMA" designation (based on the increased population), Federal and TX DoT funds will be reduced, so the BTD needs somewhere between $451,000 to $690,000 from the College Station, Bryan, and Brazos county taxpayers.
Tailgate88
AG
How about reduce the frequency of busses?
techno-ag
AG
GSS said:

Tons of what-if info, and scenarious in the attached link:
BCSMPO (budget numbers on page 12)

but the bottom line is for FY 2022, BTD operating costs for B-CS were $5,784,000, with "Farebox Revenue" of $212,911....less than 4% of their operating budget.

And....due to the "TMA" designation (based on the increased population), Federal and TX DoT funds will be reduced, so the BTD needs somewhere between $451,000 to $690,000 from the College Station, Bryan, and Brazos county taxpayers.

Shut it down.

(Just my opinion.)
doubledog

The BTD services all of these areas and more... Is everyone rowing the boat?

https://www.bvcog.org/Portals/0/2023%20Transportation%20Resource%20Guide.pdf?ver=2023-05-22-162433-847
UmustBKidding
At least they are not making the national news operating the woodlands water taxis. https://www.yourconroenews.com/neighborhood/moco/news/article/Woodlands-controversial-water-taxis-elicit-9256267.php
Their services expanded outside of BCS because the Federal reimbursement was shrinking due to the number of years they had been providing subsidies and the populations of the served areas. They had to find greener pastures of on harvested subsidies. At one point they had service in Lufkin and Nacadoches, it may be the same we have been mining this grave train to long go the feds were cutting back.
EBrazosAg
AG
Glad we are paying for part of Sherwood Forest Faire ! Per that link to BVCOG the Transit District serves 10 counties. It's a complete boondoggle for quite a few people ….
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bob Yancy
In our budget workshop for outside agency funding, BTD came before us and asked for $334k in new funding. I voted no to additional funding. Council settled on increasing it and while I disagreed, I respect the will of the majority. The budget is not finalized and additional deliberations may take place. There were many questions remaining for Council after the presentation that were not clarified, in my opinion.

Mass transit in the US has a very poor record of fiscal performance and utilization, even in massive cities. For mass transit to work, I believe mass utilization is required. People that could otherwise afford a vehicle must also use it regularly.

Our storied relationship with the automobile is ingrained in the fabric of our society and history and we equate it with freedom and productivity. I know I do. I love my truck and don't see myself riding the bus very often.

I'm afraid this increased funding request is just the start of a slippery slope, but at the same time I am concerned about the folks that can't afford a vehicle or who can, but are unable to drive due to a medical incapacity.

The idea floated on this thread earlier about a municipal Uber is fascinating and I'll be researching it. Kyle, Texas. Who would've thought?

Respectfully submitted,

-yancy
Charpie
AG
I appreciate your response.

I don't want to see Bryan wind up in the pickle that the City of Austin is in with Cap Metro.
doubledog
Bob Yancy said:

In our budget workshop for outside agency funding, BTD came before us and asked for $334k in new funding. I voted no to additional funding. Council settled on increasing it and while I disagreed, I respect the will of the majority. The budget is not finalized and additional deliberations may take place. There were many questions remaining for Council after the presentation that were not clarified, in my opinion.

Mass transit in the US has a very poor record of fiscal performance and utilization, even in massive cities. For mass transit to work, I believe mass utilization is required. People that could otherwise afford a vehicle must also use it regularly.

Our storied relationship with the automobile is ingrained in the fabric of our society and history and we equate it with freedom and productivity. I know I do. I love my truck and don't see myself riding the bus very often.

I'm afraid this increased funding request is just the start of a slippery slope, but at the same time I am concerned about the folks that can't afford a vehicle or who can, but are unable to drive due to a medical incapacity.

The idea floated on this thread earlier about a municipal Uber is fascinating and I'll be researching it. Kyle, Texas. Who would've thought?

Respectfully submitted,

-yancy
Uber makes sense. for $334K the CoCS could provide around 11,000 round trip rides (~$30 per round trip ride within the city limit). I am sure that number could be negotiated. Drop BTD and go with UBER for CoCS.
Bob Yancy
doubledog said:

Bob Yancy said:

Respectfully submitted,

-yancy
Uber makes sense. for $334K the CoCS could provide around 11,000 round trip rides (~$30 per round trip ride within the city limit). I am sure that number could be negotiated. Drop BTD and go with UBER for CoCS.

Fascinating idea. Definitely worth a hard look. And, you could structure fares to encourage folks to ride together and derive even more efficiency. And, the taxpayer doesn't have to purchase and maintain vehicles. Much obliged. I'm not saying I'm giving up on BTD. This idea is very intriguing though.

Respectfully,

-yancy
Bob Yancy
https://www.uber.com/blog/case-study-how-kyle-texas-benefits-from-rideshare/
EBrazosAg
AG
I suspect if a complete audit was done on the Transit District their cost per mile per person transported would make us all nauseated. It has been a boondoggle lining the pockets of a few for years.
George Costanza
"Students ride busses in this town, nobody else does."

That is incorrect and quite a bit elitist. Many special needs, lower income and other folks depend on those busses. That being said, there has to be a better, more efficient and inexpensive way to provide such a service. The complaints on here about BTD are justified.
AggieBarstool
What about a cooperative agreement with Texas A&M? They already own and operate a large fleet; why not shuttle some funding their way to serve a few more routes / folks?
nwspmp
AggieBarstool said:

What about a cooperative agreement with Texas A&M? They already own and operate a large fleet; why not shuttle some funding their way to serve a few more routes / folks?
They have been doing so for almost 20 years (at varying levels of ease and notification to the public).

https://transport.tamu.edu/Transit/faq.aspx
http://www.btd.org/fixed-routes/rates/
taxpreparer
AG
Bob Yancy said:

Respectfully submitted,

-yancy

This is not the first request. When the area population was first predicted to exceed 100K, the BTD director said the cities and county would be REQUIRED to increase funding. I have forgotten the mechanism; maybe a special taxing authority?
woodiewood
Bob Yancy said:

Respectfully submitted,

-yancy
"I'm afraid this increased funding request is just the start of a slippery slope,"

That is the case in most instances...look at our federal budget deficits.

Government overall will never quench its thirst for other peoples money.

We need to investigate the Kyle situation and if it has been successful, we need to move over the next five years to an Uber-based bus system with a few special equipped vans to service the truely disabled person in our community.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.