Noise Complaint in Bryan

4,424 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by tfunk02
JeremiahJohnson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Builders have a couple houses being built on our street and it sounds like a Tejano Music Festival all day. I work from home so my conference calls sound like i am doing it from a bar.

Any thing that can be done? I looked up code enforcement but saw nothing about noise. I do not really care if they play music, but i can hear every song word for word from my home office.

Can anything be done? I asked to turn it down, but different crew every few days so its never ending.
tu ag
AG
I'd first find out who the builder is and ask them to turn it down. This will probably take care of it.

Both cities have noise ordinances. It depends on the decimal level. Call the non-emergency number and talk to the dispatcher. Then talk to the cop that comes.
maddiedou
AG
I would complain to BPD and I can ask my son in a week what the procedure is

I would think yhey would ticket the GC. Regardless everything is his fault just lke everything is my fault when I am GC of a project
maddiedou
threecatcorner
Call nonemergency police and let them know. They can tell you if they're allowing an exception. When there used to be Albertsons at Texas and SW Pkwy and they would fire very annoyingly loud cannons to try to scare off grackles, they actually had permission so the police wouldn't make them stop.

For construction noise itself, I think there's a restriction as far as what hours they're aloud to be over a certain decibel level.
FlyRod
Noise cancelling headphones? They work really well on planes and might provide an easy solution.
woodiewood
FlyRod said:

Noise cancelling headphones? They work really well on planes and might provide an easy solution.

If you can't get it stopped, borrow some concert speakers put them on your property line and crank up Dance monkey by tones and as loud as you can.
Scruffy
AG
I'm on calls etc all the time from noisy places.
I have these and they work great. Canceling outside noise both from your hearing and it doesn't come though your mic.

https://www.amazon.com/Poly-USB-Plantronics-Bluetooth-Compatible/dp/B092TFTF4P/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3UPN8BPH42895&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.49j935T6znQacUA27DI6knsMPn5ndPWyvqoNsWDuXQjdttiDK6K4M_FJTdQoHEEEm7ATpjYR0j5ir1PUXul--rLUT-F7Gfz7UNUMXVl3XrNYT4Eos2qKvjP-KbbAN6UGwJ0OGPftIW9yVx8FA0HcPSnKsJp1w6HH3b8F9WJD9MrojguCAy9wcryYcHxW2dAYps9bxY9ks5tWlKVcBAaozg.ux5LRJbUVWDa7SrAiwndeWRpQE7i_bec50ktEUfsXFI&dib_tag=se&keywords=poly+headset+wireless&qid=1720832657&sprefix=poly+head%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-3
woodiewood
Scruffy said:

I'm on calls etc all the time from noisy places.
I have these and they work great. Canceling outside noise both from your hearing and it doesn't come though your mic.

https://www.amazon.com/Poly-USB-Plantronics-Bluetooth-Compatible/dp/B092TFTF4P/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3UPN8BPH42895&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.49j935T6znQacUA27DI6knsMPn5ndPWyvqoNsWDuXQjdttiDK6K4M_FJTdQoHEEEm7ATpjYR0j5ir1PUXul--rLUT-F7Gfz7UNUMXVl3XrNYT4Eos2qKvjP-KbbAN6UGwJ0OGPftIW9yVx8FA0HcPSnKsJp1w6HH3b8F9WJD9MrojguCAy9wcryYcHxW2dAYps9bxY9ks5tWlKVcBAaozg.ux5LRJbUVWDa7SrAiwndeWRpQE7i_bec50ktEUfsXFI&dib_tag=se&keywords=poly+headset+wireless&qid=1720832657&sprefix=poly+head%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-3
That's interesting....I need to get one.
mason12
AG
We use poly headsets at my work to connect to the computer and we use the computer's voice recorder app to record our phone calls.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I have headsets and special microphone for conference calls. That's not the answer.
techno-ag
AG
Seems to me the workers should be the ones wearing headphones. Then they could listen to their loud music without disturbing the neighbors.
Smeghead4761
The default level for noise to be considered a nuisance is 85 decibels, which is actually very loud. I've used a decibel meter inside Reed Arena during the music portion of Breakaway and it didn't get that high.

The city of Bryan may have lower levels set for residential areas. You'd have to ask.
woodiewood
Here's your regulation.

DIVISION 2. - NOISE Sec. 50-121. - General prohibition. Any unreasonably loud, disturbing, unnecessary noise which causes material distress, discomfort, or injury to persons of ordinary sensibilities in the immediate vicinity thereof is hereby declared to be a nuisance and, as such, is liable to be abated, is hereby prohibited, and the person guilty of causing, permitting, or suering them or any of them upon any premises or upon any building occupied or controlled by him or her or in any street, alley, sidewalk, or gutter immediately adjacent to such premises shall, upon conviction, be ned as provided in section 1-14. Any noise of such character, intensity, and continued duration which substantially interferes with the comfortable enjoyment of private homes by persons of ordinary sensibilities is hereby declared to be a nuisance and, as such, is liable to be abated, is hereby prohibited, and the person guilty of causing, permitting, or suering same upon any premises or in or on any building occupied or controlled by him or her or in any street, alley, sidewalk, or gutter immediately adjacent to such premises shall, upon conviction, be ned as provided in section 1-14. (Code 1975, 17-20; Code 1988, 11-46) Sec. 50-122. - Enumeration. The following acts, among others, are declared to be noise nuisances in violation of this division, but such enumeration shall not be deemed to be exclusive: Musical instruments. The playing of any radio, record player, or other musical instrument in such manner or with such volume as to disturb the quiet, comfort or repose of persons of ordinary sensibilities in any dwelling, hotel, or other type of abode. Loudspeakers and ampliers. The use of any stationary loudspeaker or amplier in such manner or with such volume that it disturbs persons of ordinary sensibilities in the immediate vicinity thereof; or The operation of such loudspeaker or amplier at any time on Sunday; provided, however, upon application by the user of such devices, the city council or his or her designee may make special exemption or exception to this clause for such time or times as the council, city manager or his or her designee feels will serve the public welfare, as provided in this article.

Construction work. The erection, including excavation, demolition, alteration, or repair work on any building other than between the hours 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. on weekdays and Saturdays, except in case of urgent necessity in the interest of public safety and convenience, and then only by permit from the city manager or his or her designee, which permit may be renewed during the time the emergency exists. "

https://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cities/ordinances/Bryan,%20Texas.pdf

Sounds like you have a case to request the sound lowered. The GC may plead the 7am to 7pm stipulation?

Is it going to be of such a volume close by for any length of time?

I am in the new build subdivisions two to three times a week most weeks and in most instances there is no need for the music to be as loud as it is.
meinkee
They are just trying to make their work day easier with music. I bet they would respect your request to ease your mental labors as well. If it is a different crew each day, go each day and ask for relief. After all you are the one with the issue.. People are more considerate than you think. Everybody just wants to make their living
trouble
AG
No, OP should talk to the builder or GC. It's their responsibility to remind their crews to be mindful of the neighborhood NOT his.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
meinkee said:

They are just trying to make their work day easier with music. I bet they would respect your request to ease your mental labors as well. If it is a different crew each day, go each day and ask for relief. After all you are the one with the issue.. People are more considerate than you think. Everybody just wants to make their living

I don't mind music. But when I'm sitting in my house and it sounds like it is coming from inside my house it's a problem. I can hear every song word for word. My wife came into my office to ask me to turn my music down thinking it was me. They are across the street and 3 doors down and it's still that loud.

I'll bring my PA system and sit in front of you place. Let's see how long it takes for you to complain.
woodiewood
I totally agree, but I bet if you called the police they would ask you if you had gone over and talked to the GC to resolve it quickly.
Tim Weaver
The "noise ordinance" around here is basically: If its a nuisance to you, you can call the 5-0. There might be some kind of decibel rating, but cops don't have a meter and they don't know how to acctually use them AND most imprtantly the code doesn't say at what weighting and over how much time the reading should be taken.

Measuring noise level is a science unto itself and just whipping out a phone app doesn't cut it.

Long story short, if its bothering you, you can call the cops, and they will come out and make a judgement call as to whether its warranted or not.
meinkee
Thanks . All I was trying to say is meet people half way. They usually respond. Don't call the GC or the cops as your first reaction. Reach out yourself
b0ridi
I had Larry Young Paving working on sidewalks near my house and rattling my windows with their bass for 6 months... I feel your pain.
bearkitten
Maybe install a small window unit in the room. It drowns out any noise.
Charpie
AG
Let me help you, OP.

"Estoy trabajando. Puedes bajar la msica por favor?"

As someone who had animal control called on her because her dogs were outside barking at 4:30 in the afternoon, I would have much rather had my neighbors who called and narked on me talk to me before calling the cops. I mean, tell me it's bothering you and I can do something about it. Now if they don't resolve it, THEN CALL THE COPS.
El Presidente
AG
"Estoy trabajando. Puedes bajar la msica por favor?"

Wrong.

Say:

"Bajenle a su pinche pedo, mensos"

That will do the trick.
TexAg1987
nm
Charpie
trouble
AG
That'll do something.
BrazosDog02
AG
They are "on your street" ? Man, are your walls made of paper?

I don't pay any attention to this kind of thing. Since Covid, everyone expects non office noise. I've had calls with 5 dogs losing their mind in my house, chickens, geese, and guineas squawking, kids screaming….it is what it is. I find it tough to believe this is causing an issue from inside your house unless they are Nextdoor and even then I'd be surprised. I'm betting it's not audible On the other end.
tfunk02
AG
NM
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.