College Station - Property TAX CUT - Proposal

6,549 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by threecatcorner
Craig Regan 14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy Friends - it is that time again... Budget time

I will keep this short and to the point. After reviewing the budget (nearly line by line) I feel comfortable in the following

1.) Across the board tax cuts on property.
I see that we can lower the tax rate to .47-.48 and still meet our needs.
This equals above $3,700,000 to $4,200,000. With a budget of $541,000,000 this equal less that 1% of the overall budget.

But the important thing, the thing people often miss is: Not only are citizens struggling to make ends meet but clearly our economy is suffering. We are $600,000 below our targeted sales tax receipts. The propose of cutting taxes is then two-fold.

First - If GOV does not NEED it, then it goes back to who paid it. Government does NOT grow on trees but outta your pocket

Second - This puts $4,200,000 BACK into our economy. Some will inevitable go into our sales tax receipts but most importantly it goes back into you and your family's pocket. (Where it can do the most good).

Now some of you will say - how do we meet all of our obligations with infrastructure/police/fire? Well, when your budget is $541,000,000 I PROMISE you that City Council with staff has the imagination and smarts to make this happen.

Besides, CSU make a profit on its enterprise fund and those funds ARE DIRECTLY going to your infrastructure.

Secondly - Another important note and this is directed at STAFF. NO ONE.. NO. ONE. is calling for your increase to be slashed or COLA rate decreased. In fact, I personally believe that a 3% increase is too little given the work burdens you all face.

THIS CAN BE DONE. IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE.

But anything worth doing is worth working hard at.

https://wtaw.com/college-station-city-council-members-receive-staffs-proposed-budget-for-fiscal-year-2025/
maroon barchetta
Good luck with all that.

Government, at all levels, never loses its appetite for your tax dollars.
Craig Regan 14
Nothing good comes easy
BluHorseShu
AG
Craig Regan 14 said:

Nothing good comes easy
Any thoughts about why this has never actually come to fruition in the past? I don't imagine its lack of ability or smarts as you mentioned. Lack of desire of the people to demand it maybe? Or are there other factors that are at play that ends up paying the piper down the road for cuts now? Serious questions. I don't doubt people go into city gov't with good intentions and the idea that they will be able to break the cycle. With the growth of the area, and considering the circus that Austin became with their growth in the late 80's, early 90's, does it put us behind the curve of keeping up with necessary infrastructure if we make even 1% cuts? I know its easy to lay out what seems like a simple plan to cut taxes...but in reality is it really much more complex?
woodiewood
Craig Regan 14 said:

I will keep this short and to the point. After reviewing the budget (nearly line by line) I feel comfortable in the following

This equals above $3,700,000 to $4,200,000. With a budget of $541,000,000 this equal less that 1% of the overall budget.

But the important thing, the thing people often miss is: Not only are citizens struggling to make ends meet but clearly our economy is suffering. We are $600,000 below our targeted sales tax receipts. The propose of cutting taxes is then two-fold.

First - If GOV does not NEED it, then it goes back to who paid it. Government does NOT grow on trees but outta your pocket

Second - This puts $4,200,000 BACK into our economy. Some will inevitable go into our sales tax receipts but most importantly it goes back into you and your family's pocket. (Where it can do the most good).

Now some of you will say - how do we meet all of our obligations with infrastructure/police/fire? Well, when your budget is $541,000,000 I PROMISE you that City Council with staff has the imagination and smarts to make this happen.

Besides, CSU make a profit on its enterprise fund and those funds ARE DIRECTLY going to your infrastructure.

Secondly - Another important note and this is directed at STAFF. NO ONE.. NO. ONE. is calling for your increase to be slashed or COLA rate decreased. In fact, I personally believe that a 3% increase is too little given the work burdens you all face.

https://wtaw.com/college-station-city-council-members-receive-staffs-proposed-budget-for-fiscal-year-2025/
I learned through three across the board budget reductions when I was with A&M everyone had fits and gnashing of treeth that there would not be enough money to do the essential work and in every instance the work was done.

If the COCS was serious about spending only that which is necessary to supply essential services, the budget could be significantly reduced or at least increases be minimized. Austerity measures can in principle be used at any time when there is concern about government expenditures. 1 to 2 percent of any government's budget could be made w/o significant changes in services to the citizens.

Craig Regan 14
woodiewood said:

Craig Regan 14 said:

I learned through three across the board budget reductions when I was with A&M everyone had fits and gnashing of treeth that there would not be enough money to do the essential work and in every instance the work was done.

If the COCS was serious about spending only that which is necessary to supply essential services, the budget could be significantly reduced or at least increases be minimized. Austerity measures can in principle be used at any time when there is concern about government expenditures. 1 to 2 percent of any government's budget could be made w/o significant changes in services to the citizens.

Allow me to put this in proper perspective. COCS budget increased by $200,000,000 in the past 4 years

What I am asking for is 2% or thereabouts.

NOT the end of the world - or at least it shouldn't be.
Hornbeck
AG
Excuse me for saying this, but like I said in another thread, I don't trust city staff or this council to make beneficial changes. They are all about keeping up with the Round Rock's of the world, while we have the wage base of Temple / Killeen.

If the budget has gone up $200M in the past couple years, what changed?
MeKnowNot
Craig,
You said that you went through the budget line by line and came up with a range of financial savings.

Where in the budget do you see this ~$4M savings coming from?
Craig Regan 14
I'm on the road right now (not driving)

I will give you my thoughts here soon. I had notes on my laptop.

But GREAT QUESTION. And remember these are merely my thoughts … there are other folks that have a say in what those cuts would be

But intentions are useless without motivations
Grmpy
I believe he is suggesting the forced scarcity would require these budget areas to be creative to run on a smaller budget; which I agree with.

However you'll never see any budget owner admit they can cut their budget with no impact. It never happens that way. You have to force a department to run on a leaner budget. Hard decisions can create more efficient operations however.
b0ridi
MeKnowNot said:

Craig,
You said that you went through the budget line by line and came up with a range of financial savings.

Where in the budget do you see this ~$4M savings coming from?
I read through this whole caps/bold "proposal" and was wondering this too...
Craig Regan 14
The Budget of College Station grew by $200,000,000 in four years … 4

If you are saying that 2% of that cannot be line item'ed
to cutting taxes. Than clearly, by that definition, GOV is never wrong,

Every dollar is correct and every penny on point, which it never is.

And if you say, "I'm not saying that" then you are basically saying "yes, government can save money and cut taxes we just have to WORK HARDER"

Which is, if you look at the bottom of the OP, is WHAT I CALLED FOR. (Caps added)
Craig Regan 14
Let me try and add some context before this spirals.

My job is working with contractors and laborers who work for cities all over the country. Everyday, I read about 20 solicitations and RFP and another 20 in counter proposals.

(I have no local active clients to get that little bit outta the way)

If you see the attached image it is an outline of increased CIP spending.

Right now, I am looking at a material market that is 15-20% inflated. Job costs have gotten WAY outta hand at the municipal level.

Some of those CIP projects are WAY overinflated in terms of cost. Going "line by line" you will find projects that can reprioritized and organized. Prices are cooling, yes but demand on some of this stuff is still through the roof. Just because we have the money now on for certain things does not mean it wouldn't be prudent to wait until some prices go down.

This alone saves millions of dollars. It does not all have to come from slashing this item or that item but better judgement and patience.
Craig Regan 14
And I dunno about y'all but would you rather have more sidewalks or a property tax cut

$5,000,000 in sidewalks... really?

Just over half of that is the entire tax cut I proposed.

Tax cut... sidewalks?
billydean05
Many of the road projects have been mostly a complete waste in my eyes. The Rock Prairie just west of Wellborn Road to Holleman. Millions of dollars spent. Road closed or one way for a long time. More lanes not added just bike lanes added. This is a waste of time and taxpayer dollars not wells spent. I drive fairly regularly and even with the bike lanes added see very few if any cyclists using them. Lincoln Avenue they are doing a similar project. Quite an inconvenience. Lots of money spent for a couple of bike lanes.
woodiewood
Craig Regan 14 said:

And I dunno about y'all but would you rather have more sidewalks or a property tax cut

$5,000,000 in sidewalks... really?

Just over half of that is the entire tax cut I proposed.

Tax cut... sidewalks?
I don't know where these sidewalks are going to be installed in CS, and I know it's not CS, but I get amused everytime I drive From Riverside Pky east on West Villa Maria and see the sidewalks being built on the north side of the highway. I bet that there is not 5 people a day walk or ride a bike on the sidewalk. A few might walk or bike go from 2818 to about where Brazos Christian school is.

It is interesting to see the increases in the Utility budgets and then notice the large dollars transferred from Utilities to the general fund. To me, any of the money collected from the citizens from utilites needs to either be spent on utilities, saved for future utility expansion and costs, or given back to the citizens in reduced utilitiy cost.
Hornbeck
AG
billydean05 said:

Many of the road projects have been mostly a complete waste in my eyes. The Rock Prairie just west of Wellborn Road to Holleman. Millions of dollars spent. Road closed or one way for a long time. More lanes not added just bike lanes added. This is a waste of time and taxpayer dollars not wells spent. I drive fairly regularly and even with the bike lanes added see very few if any cyclists using them. Lincoln Avenue they are doing a similar project. Quite an inconvenience. Lots of money spent for a couple of bike lanes.

You're leaving out the benefit to all the city employees who oversee that ginormous waste of money. There's good money to be made there.
threecatcorner
There are some streets that really need sidewalks, but maybe not $5 million worth.

Who knows if the streets that need them are even on the current list. I think that some of the streets that are near schools and/or parks and don't have any sidewalks at all (or only have them for one block) need them added to at least one side of the road more than we need to add them to a second side of the street or widen sidewalks on a street that's already got sidewalks.

I wish there was someplace to recommend areas that actually need sidewalks. One of the areas I'm thinking of I mentioned to staff at one of those neighborhood meetings they had several years ago, and I think she said it was on the list to eventually get a sidewalk, but it's still not there. On another street in the same area, there's only one block of sidewalk (which there already was) and the city redid the road and sidewalk, but once you cross the intersection where the sidewalk ended, they did whatever they were doing to the street (resurfacing, supposedly improving the drainage), but they left that section of the road (on both sides of the street) sidewalkless.
threecatcorner
Does CIP mean capital improvement project?

If so, is that all new construction?

Do they have repair and maintenance listed separately?
Craig Regan 14
Improvement is repair and maintenance or can be.

To be honest, it is a bite gray. It can mean a "new road" but a "new road" over an "old one"

Each line item carry's its own details.
Craig Regan 14
Gotta check that just a bit

Sidewalks are usually outsourced, otherwise put out to bid for contractors.

But truly my goal is:

1.) shrink the growth of the budget

And thereby get some money back into your family's budget & into the economy. Taxes have increased by over $1,000 on the average home in the last 4 years. You want a sustainable city? Then we need sustainable government.

2.) … and here is where the rubber meets the road… demonstrate that government is not a Leviathan nor should it be. It can be flexible and effective and that does not mean it has to be bigger and stronger.

Macys/ballpark … take your pick frankly and all it shows is that government does not need to be chopped down or anyone needs to be the Proverbial "Bull in China shop". It merely means we need to remind ourselves that GOV ought to focus on what it SHOULD do, not what it could do. And that starts with solid, reasonable policy. Never saw a broke fence get fixed by breaking it some more.

PS - staff works their BUTT off. I've seen it myself. These folks are real public servants. And, if you allow me to be frank, deserve more than a pat on the back and a couple extra bucks. From Linemen, to administrative staff and police & fire. They make it all come together.
Craig Regan 14
"Organize and Prioritize" is the name of the game.

Drill down and do things systemically.
maroon barchetta
"Nobody came to a council meeting to tell us where we needed sidewalks so we put them where we wanted". [/council, probably]

God forbid they put out a survey.
Craig Regan 14
I say

Let's build 1/4 the sidewalks that are budgeted ($5,000,000) and give the balance back as a tax cut (3.7-4.2m)

Water - roads - electric - storm sewer… I'm not talking about cutting that. It all has to be done. There is not wiggle room IMO. Aside from police and fire … Infrastructure is critically important.

But HOW and WHEN matters as well. As I mentioned earlier, there are some things budgeted that are NOT life & death and could wait until prices cooled off a bit more. That alone is millions.

Just sayin' … doesn't have to be rock'em sock'em robots but cool, efficient policy. That's all.
woodiewood
Craig Regan 14 said:

I say

Let's build 1/4 the sidewalks that are budgeted ($5,000,000) and give the balance back as a tax cut (3.7-4.2m)

Water - roads - electric - storm sewer… I'm not talking about cutting that. It all has to be done. There is not wiggle room IMO. Aside from police and fire … Infrastructure is critically important.

But HOW and WHEN matters as well. As I mentioned earlier, there are some things budgeted that are NOT life & death and could wait until prices cooled off a bit more. That alone is millions.

Just sayin' … doesn't have to be rock'em sock'em robots but cool, efficient policy. That's all.
"Water - roads - electric - storm sewer… I'm not talking about cutting that. "

If we are moving monies from Utilities to the General Fund, we are overcharging for Utilities. Utilities collections need to be spent and/or reserved for the cost of supplying utilities now and for the future to the taxpapers and not for the pet projects of our leaders.

Hornbeck
AG
I regret that I have but one blue star to give for this, sir.
Craig Regan 14
Then we are singing from the same sheet of music.

Have a great weekend all!
woodiewood
Comment in the FY 2025 budget proposal.

"The FY25 Budget includes a significant capital increase for the new well and collection line projects to secure a future water supply. This change in capital will require a 10.0% rate increase in FY25 (the first since 2020) and potential additional future rate increases depending on water consumption. OTHER UTILITY DEMANDS The Electric utility must contend with higher than forecasted capital costs to either relocate utility lines in coordination with State agencies and/or fluctuations in the wholesale power market."

If the above statement is correct, why is it proposed to transfer $16,021,945 from Utilities to the General Fund. If we were to reserve over payments to Utilities by the taxpapers it appears that there would be sufficient monetary resources to address any current and future capital expenses and increases in fuel costs? If after that there is an overage, it should be given back to the utility payers in terms of reduced utility rates.
officerfred
On the subject of sidewalks in college station. The city has ripped out perfectly good sidewalks in several neighborhoods and replaced them to add bumps or tactile panels that are ADA compliant. It seems we have sidewalks missing entirely on in disarray in some areas, while they are replacing newer sidewalks to make them ADA compliant in others. Does anyone know the details on this logic?
Craig Regan 14
some of these are from grants from either the state or Federal level. There are some matching funds but not a whole not.

The city does, however take over the maintenance of those that are built, regardless of the funding source.

But allow me to be clear. I am not apposed to "sidewalks" on a base level. But merely, WHEN and WHY.

When are they built & why that specific area?

Always remember that government nowadays is building and buying in a heavily inflated material market. I have seen jobs all over the country that are 20% higher JUST because of material cost.

This is where you can find some budget efficiency if you mitigate the WHEN but sometimes are forced to by the WHY.

**Dunno if the above helps answer the question
doubledog
Have you ever tried to pull a hog from the trough? Farmers get it.
Hornbeck
AG
woodiewood said:

Comment in the FY 2025 budget proposal.

"The FY25 Budget includes a significant capital increase for the new well and collection line projects to secure a future water supply. This change in capital will require a 10.0% rate increase in FY25 (the first since 2020) and potential additional future rate increases depending on water consumption. OTHER UTILITY DEMANDS The Electric utility must contend with higher than forecasted capital costs to either relocate utility lines in coordination with State agencies and/or fluctuations in the wholesale power market."

If the above statement is correct, why is it proposed to transfer $16,021,945 from Utilities to the General Fund. If we were to reserve over payments to Utilities by the taxpapers it appears that there would be sufficient monetary resources to address any current and future capital expenses and increases in fuel costs? If after that there is an overage, it should be given back to the utility payers in terms of reduced utility rates.

Because they are addicted to that money. As @maddiedou so eloquently stated on another thread, like crack*****s.
woodiewood
officerfred said:

On the subject of sidewalks in college station. The city has ripped out perfectly good sidewalks in several neighborhoods and replaced them to add bumps or tactile panels that are ADA compliant. It seems we have sidewalks missing entirely on in disarray in some areas, while they are replacing newer sidewalks to make them ADA compliant in others. Does anyone know the details on this logic?
Perhaps someone or multiple people in those neighborhoods are in wheelchairs and asked the city if they could make those in their neighborhood ADA compliant? Having family members in the past that were in wheelchairs it is important to address those issues at times.
jimbo457
Craig Regan 14 said:

And if you say, "I'm not saying that" then you are basically saying "yes, government can save money and cut taxes we just have to WORK HARDER"

Which is, if you look at the bottom of the OP, is WHAT I CALLED FOR. (Caps added)
First, I appreciate the manner in which you are communicating this. I feel like someone is speaking my language here (we need to invest more in critical services by diverging funding from other non-critical areas, all while getting leaner thus coming in with the lowest tax rate possible).

My question to you, as I am a bit confused, is can you explain how the city's budget as grown by 200 million dollars in four years? How is this possible and what are the driving factors here. forgive my ignorance but is some of this debt service? I truly am ignorant here but wanting to learn. It just seems that for the city's budget to increase roughly by two thirds in four years, that's wild and I don't see the increase in service.

Thanks again for your engagement, truly useful stuff here.
Craig Regan 14
jimbo457 said:

Craig Regan 14 said:

First, I appreciate the manner in which you are communicating this. I feel like someone is speaking my language here (we need to invest more in critical services by diverging funding from other non-critical areas, all while getting leaner thus coming in with the lowest tax rate possible).

My question to you, as I am a bit confused, is can you explain how the city's budget as grown by 200 million dollars in four years? How is this possible and what are the driving factors here. forgive my ignorance but is some of this debt service? I truly am ignorant here but wanting to learn. It just seems that for the city's budget to increase roughly by two thirds in four years, that's wild and I don't see the increase in service.

Thanks again for your engagement, truly useful stuff here.
Jimbo - if that is your real name /s

Our budget has grown by $200,000,000 in 4 years - our debt service payments have increased by 45% - our taxes/fees have increased below is some banner headlines as to how we got here

If you take the $200,000,000

subtract - $36m in new Ad VOL taxes
subtract - $10m in added sales tax receipts
subtract - $40m in added enterprise fund
subtract - growth in HOT funds and others ($25m)
Subtract - 10m in added debt service - this is split 60-40 on your tax bill. Meaning of the new AD VOL taxes ~40% goes to paying the debt.

Put all those numbers together from the 200m

and you get an additional $19.7m per year in REV from different sources. Which leads to one question, really:

How is it that our budget can grow by 58% and we still need more money. For what? You truly have to scape the budget clean in order to find this stuff.

Remember there are two ways to go blind - no light or too much light. In the case of the budget it truly is a case of being "blinded by the light"

Hope the above helps.

PS - remember, that is $200m that is no longer in the economy - private hands - but on a GOV balance sheet.

"Government doesn't grow on trees"

CR '14
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.