Is the USPS run by morons?

3,924 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by histag10
woodiewood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Haven't had mail for three delivery days now and I live right near campus.

Checked on tracking on two Amazon packages on the Amazon site and there was this not on the orders.

"Held for pickup at carrier location

Delivery attempted June 17
Unfortunately, USPS couldn't complete your delivery and is holding it for you to pick up. We're very sorry for the inconvenience."

Checked and both said delivery could not be made. I have no gate, nothing that has ever prevented mail deliveries. Both are items costing less than $50 so signatures were not required and besides, I was at home all day yesterday....no one tried to deliver anything yesterday or today.

So I call the USPS tele 800# on the orders and put in my tracking #s for both and the instructions state that they are ready for pickup at the Bryan Post office.

My Post Office working for me!

What a cluster.....

FlyRod
My local carrier is an absolute gem. No issues in my neighborhood.

Some info here about why service has become so erratic.

https://www.govexec.com/management/2024/05/pressure-mounting-dejoy-agrees-pause-consolidations-dozens-usps-facilities/396550/
woodiewood
FlyRod said:

https://www.govexec.com/management/2024/05/pressure-mounting-dejoy-agrees-pause-consolidations-dozens-usps-facilities/396550/
The carriere here appears to do a great job and never had an issue with him. I suspect that he never saw the two packages and someone lazy at a USPS site just put the excuse on the website.

Anyone want to bet me that the two packages are at the Bryan Post Office?
TyHolden
AG
It's a branch of the federal government so draw your own conclusions…
FlyRod
woodiewood said:

FlyRod said:

The carriere here appears to do a great job and never had an issue with him. I suspect that he never saw the two packages and someone lazy at a USPS site just put the excuse on the website.

Anyone want to bet me that the two packages are at the Bryan Post Office?

Wouldn't surprise me. Friend of mine (landlord) said a post office employee was caught stealing checks of his and altering them! I suspect we're going to hear some unpleasant stories surface soon.
maroon barchetta
My mom sent my wife a birthday card six weeks ago. To our P.O. Box, for better chances of it being delivered.

Nope.

I'm sure someone in a sorting center opened it looking for a gift card.
Another Doug
AG
I am almost 50 and I have never not received a piece of mail I was expecting.
maroon barchetta
Another Doug said:

That you were expecting.

My wife wasn't expecting a card from my mom. Which the USPS evidently knows?
MiMi
S
Another Doug said:

I am 60 and have not received mail I was expecting and have had mail I sent never be delivered. While it has always happened, it has definitely gotten worse since DeJoy took over USPS.
James Russell
AG
A couple of weeks ago, I had a package out for delivery, and then later in the day the tracking showed "Held at Post Office, At Customer Request" when I definitely did not request it. It ended up showing up the next day, though I didn't appreciate the carrier lying about why they didn't deliver it.

I had two more that were scheduled for delivery yesterday that after 7:00 PM yesterday showed "Delivery Exception, Local Weather Delay" and ended up arriving today.

The package that was scheduled for today was marked as "Delivered, In/At Mailbox" in C.S. when I live in Bryan. Oh, and of course it wasn't in the mailbox. If history is anything to go off of, I would expect it tomorrow. Unfortunately, the federal holiday means that I won't be seeing it until Thursday at the earliest.
BCSWguru
Had three packages show as delivered in the tracking app on Saturday. None of those three have arrived in my mailbox.
studioone

I had about $500 worth of live plants sent via usps. The guy I ordered them from dropped them off at a collection center (mistake #1) where they sat for 4 days... then they left Miami and flew to Houston and got lost for a week... then they attempted delivery but failed because Customer Requested to be held at post office.... WTH! I went to the PO and they said it was out for delivery....for 3 more days..

plants finally arrived and were very sad... but most of them survived... I think I lost about 10 plants out of 50 die over the next 2 months because of their condition.. I couldnt complain cause they didnt die immediately...
woodiewood
Another Doug said:

I have had both letters and packages lost in the USPS that I guess is still floating around in the ether somewhere. I have had letters and docs days and week late getting to me and a number of times I have had neighbors bring me my mail that was dropped at their home and also I have found my packages at weekend/football occupied homes on the street that was delivered to the wrong address.

I still think they need to close down about 50% to 75% of the post offices in the U.S. and go to every other day delivery and do away with door to door residential delivery. In this day and age, do we really need post offices in Kurten, Millican, Snook?
BrazosWifi
Another Doug said:

We get hundreds of checks a month mailed to us at our Kurten mail box.
Many from automatic bill pay systems.

Right now, we are missing approximately half of what we would expect to have received.

There is absolutely something amiss.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
doubledog
Another Doug said:

nm
maroon barchetta
As someone who uses a P.O. Box for our non-junk mail (except for zillions of political mailers), I like having a small post office available.

I also like it when I need to mail something. Going to the big post office to wait in line for ages while multiple postal employees mill around behind the counter without helping anyone is not a fun experience.
LOYAL AG
AG
woodiewood said:

Another Doug said:

I have had both letters and packages lost in the USPS that I guess is still floating around in the ether somewhere. I have had letters and docs days and week late getting to me and a number of times I have had neighbors bring me my mail that was dropped at their home and also I have found my packages at weekend/football occupied homes on the street that was delivered to the wrong address.

I still think they need to close down about 50% to 75% of the post offices in the U.S. and go to every other day delivery and do away with door to door residential delivery. In this day and age, do we really need post offices in Kurten, Millican, Snook?

The Millican PO is only staffed 2 hours per week on Saturday morning and those people work full time at the Wellborn location. Wellborn is open from 9-11 then that person drives to Millican for an 1115-1 shift. Not sure there's any savings to be had to shut it down.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
taxpreparer
AG
TyHolden said:

It's a CONSTITUTIONAL branch of the federal government so draw your own conclusions…

fify, and my conclusions probably match yours.
woodiewood
LOYAL AG said:

woodiewood said:

Another Doug said:

The Millican PO is only staffed 2 hours per week on Saturday morning and those people work full time at the Wellborn location. Wellborn is open from 9-11 then that person drives to Millican for an 1115-1 shift. Not sure there's any savings to be had to shut it down.
Didn't know Millican wasn't manned every day all day. It would be interesting what the maintenance and utility cost is for the building and also what is the lease $$$ annually that is paid to the property owner.

The overall point is that across the whole country there are probably thousands of "Millicans" in small rural communities that are within a few miles of cities. The post office is in bad economic shape and has to rely on the taxpapers to support it. The government needs to think outside the box on what is necessary and at what cost it is to the citizens.

cypress-ag
AG
The main processing center in Stanford Tx started all this back in November. They did an equipment update with a new sorting system and no one looked at how it could be brought into the facility. It didn't fit through any opening and then was too long to mesh with the other equipment. Prime example of someone in government not knowing what they are doing and not doing homework on how it would integrate.
maroon barchetta
woodiewood said:

LOYAL AG said:

woodiewood said:

Another Doug said:

Didn't know Millican wasn't manned every day all day. It would be interesting what the maintenance and utility cost is for the building and also what is the lease $$$ annually that is paid to the property owner.

The overall point is that across the whole country there are probably thousands of "Millicans" in small rural communities that are within a few miles of cities. The post office is in bad economic shape and has to rely on the taxpapers to support it. The government needs to think outside the box on what is necessary and at what cost it is to the citizens.

Welcome to America. First time here??
jello123
Happens often here from Somerville post office, usually when a sub is making this rural route. I get an email stating "out for delivery", my mail is typically delivered around 6pm. By the time I get my mail, I discover IT WAS NOT out for delivery and by this time the post office (8 miles away) is closed. But I commend my regular carrier who always brings anything that wont fit in mailbox to my home located up a county rd.
Muzzleblast
I gave a short answer to the problem yesterday but the moderation on this board has the same issues as the USPS.
The Iola post office flooded and has been closed by USPS. No updates given on reopening. Contacted Rep McCauls office for grins and they did an inquiry to USPS.
The response said… the post office is closed. Check the website. We consider this inquiry closed.
It's everywhere
histag10
AG
Short answer- yes. Yes they are.

We only get mail about 3 days a week, despite informed delivery showing we should be getting it daily.
woodiewood
histag10 said:

We only get mail about 3 days a week, despite informed delivery showing we should be getting it daily.
I seldom get mail on Saturdays and Mondays.
maroon barchetta
woodiewood said:

histag10 said:

I seldom get mail on Saturdays and Mondays.

Long weekends. Every weekend.
etj77845
My regular carrier is pretty darn good. Did have an issue with meds a couple of weeks ago with 'driveway blocked' -'package held at Bryan'. Since this pack had controlled substance was a bit concerned after two days and trekked to Bryan. Filled out govt. form they checked 'package on truck this morning', delivered that day.

Later on I spoke with my regular mail and she told me the relief delivery person probably got 'lazy'.
maroon barchetta
By "probably" she meant "absolutely".
AgDotCom
Another Doug said:

I used to say the same thing at 50. Never understood the random complaining from others.

Now, 15 years later, it is horrible, and that doesn't include a $2,500 check that was mailed / stolen / cashed by someone else, for which USPS may not be to blame. We regularly receive other peoples' mail at our College Station P.O. Box, and vice versa.

If we can't pay local invoices via ACH we now drive to their office. It's that bad.
doubledog
The USPS is a large bloated system. If experience is our guide, then about 50% of the workers are doing 99% of the work. The rest are just waiting for their paychecks.
maroon barchetta
doubledog said:

The USPS is a large bloated system. If experience is our guide, then about 50% of the workers are doing 99% of the work. The rest are just waiting for their paychecks and opening any mail that looks like a birthday card to see if there is cash or checks or gift cards inside.

FIFY
histag10
AG
maroon barchetta said:

doubledog said:

The USPS is a large bloated system. If experience is our guide, then about 50% of the workers are doing 99% of the work. The rest are just waiting for their paychecks and opening any mail that looks like a birthday card to see if there is cash or checks or gift cards inside.

FIFY

Yeah. My parents no longer send us cards in the mail, amd just wait until they see us, after a few cards with money/checks/gift cards went missing in the mail.
Hornbeck
AG
Is the USPS run by morons?

Yes, yes it is.
taxpreparer
AG
USPS lost a large cashier's check I sent certified mail. I am still.l trying to recover it a year later.

33 years ago, my newborn daughter received a package addresses to baby girl (taxpayer), Bryan, TX. We lived in CS, but it arrived at our house. Took six weeks.
WolfCall
AG
FlyRod said:

Ditto for our carrier being an absolute gem. We've had her for years - at least since pre-covid. Lived in the same house since 1995. She's the best we have had over the last 29+ years.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.