FINALLY (Tomatoes)

8,794 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by WolfCall
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nematodes really did a number on me this summer. The two varieties that have thrived are Champion and San Marzano, which are not resistant so a puzzler there.

Have learned my lesson after years of failure and only sticking to resistant varieties, which it seems are getting more numerous.
texAZtea
AG
On the subject of cherry tomatoes:
I purchased some seeds of the purple-fleshed GMO variety from Norfolk Plant Sciences this year. These are different from normal purple skinned varieties like cherokee purple in that the anthocyanin expression that gives the purple color exists in the flesh as well. In theory these tomatoes are more nutritious because of the higher antioxidant contents.

When I bought these seeds I had to agree not to sell the seeds, the fruit, or any derived varieties I might make from these plants. Norfolk has a utility patent on this variety. They were having supply issues so I offered to sell the seeds I produced this year back to them and they said that would violate the agreement, even selling back to the patent owner. Interesting, whatever.

However, I am free to give seeds to anyone I want so long as I don't sell them, and they understand they can't sell them either.

If anyone is interested in a couple of seeds, let me know! They're free.
woodiewood
maddiedou said:

Well. This is only my opinion

I had alot of bottom end rott bexause of the 13 inches of rain in april may

So I started shooting calciulm inot the ground every week

Well it got rid of the bottom end rott but it did not stop the tomotoe from absorbing water

So now I have a damn good looking tomotoe but once it turns completely ripe and I dont mean pretty red I mean passed red and ready to eat it starts being really soft

You will know what I am yalking about if you wait and you have some that do it

If you have a raised garden you may not experience it because it drains well

For people who have a small yard and/or don't want to building permanent raised garden beds, I grow all my tomatoes in 12 gallon fabric grow bags and they do really well. If you take the dirt out of the bag at the end of the season, they will last four or five years before they fall apart. I use the old previou year's soil with added compost and a little fertilizer to begin the next year. They cost about $2 if you buy off season and watch for sales.

I use about 30 to 35 bags for tomatoes and another 10 for peppers and I get overwelmed with both and give away a lot. Been doing that for many years since I moved to CS and works great. My yard and soil doesn't drain well.

maddiedou
AG
Welp. I am gonna try again. I gave away the last batch that I thought were no good and everybody responded back how good they were so I am proceeding forward

Same place Pebble creek elementary Saturday. 9-11
979-eight two o
l870. If you want to get some before that just text me

maddiedou
Burn-It
AG
That's impressive. Except for our cherry tomatoes, the other varieties are still green.
AKA 13-0
dubi
AG
Burn-It said:

That's impressive. Except for our cherry tomatoes, the other varieties are still green.
They were mostly green Saturday when I visited to give him cinnamon rolls in exchange for the tasty produce.
maddiedou
AG
Burn-It said:

If you planted late March they should be getting close

I took a chance and planted March 5 th and would have had tomotoes May 10th but because of the 13 plus inches of rain they have now worked thru the waterlogged Or I hope so
maddiedou
maddiedou
AG
I also have another countertop with just as many
maddiedou
oklaunion
Woodie:
I discovered the grow bags this spring and have had similar results. The soil in them was able to warm up more quickly than the ground soil back in March and the plants got a huge head start over the ground-planted tomatoes. I used 20 gallon bags. 12 gallon is enough for a good root system? That would sure save expenditure on soil.
Tailgate88
AG
Can y'all post a link to these grow bags?
maddiedou
AG
Tailgate88 said:

You dont need to screw around with grow bags. Ha
maddiedou
Tailgate88
AG
This is some of last week's batch that we were fortunate to get! Have had several delicious Caprese salads this week and i just cut one up and ate it with sea salt for a snack yesterday! Maddiedou says this week's will be even better - can't wait to get some more!
Tailgate88
AG
maddiedou said:

Tailgate88 said:

You dont need to screw around with grow bags. Ha

Yeah I've got a top notch tomato connection but my daughter might be interested in growing a few.
maroon barchetta
I don't have photos of what we prepared, but my wife sliced up some of the tomatoes maddiedou gave us and they were great! Not sure why he thought these weren't maybe his best produce, but they were good!

Looks like I need to get a tube of mozzarellla!
cajunken
texAZtea said:

I purchased some seeds of the purple-fleshed GMO variety from Norfolk Plant Sciences this year. These are different from normal purple skinned varieties like cherokee purple in that the anthocyanin expression that gives the purple color exists in the flesh as well. In theory these tomatoes are more nutritious because of the higher antioxidant contents.

When I bought these seeds I had to agree not to sell the seeds, the fruit, or any derived varieties I might make from these plants. Norfolk has a utility patent on this variety. They were having supply issues so I offered to sell the seeds I produced this year back to them and they said that would violate the agreement, even selling back to the patent owner. Interesting, whatever.

However, I am free to give seeds to anyone I want so long as I don't sell them, and they understand they can't sell them either.

I would be very interested in getting some seeds from you. Text to let me know how to pick them up: nine 79 three two four 57 seven six. Thanks!
oklaunion
texAZtea
AG
cajunken said:

texAZtea said:

I would be very interested in getting some seeds from you. Text to let me know how to pick them up: nine 79 three two four 57 seven six. Thanks!
I sent you a text from a 903 number. You can take your contact info down.
Tailgate88
AG
maddiedou said:

Welp. I am gonna try again. I gave away the last batch that I thought were no good and everybody responded back how good they were so I am proceeding forward

Same place Pebble creek elementary Saturday. 9-11
979-eight two o
l870. If you want to get some before that just text me

It's almost tomato time! Y'all get out to Pebble Creek elementary this morning from 9-11 and get some of these beauties!
maroon barchetta
They are good!
maddiedou
AG
maddiedou
TyHolden
AG
FlyRod said:

Quote:

Thread title is misleading…I thought this was about medians

I thought it was about certain parties getting perma-banned.

por que?
maddiedou
AG

maddiedou
maddiedou
AG
I hope 20 pounds of tomotoes
maddiedou
Girlhowdy
AG
maddiedou said:

I hope 20 pounds of tomotoes

If you need tomatoes call maddiedou! They are delicious.
Gig 'Em, Ags
maddiedou
AG
New batch for today. 30 pounds already spoken for
maddiedou
maddiedou
AG
Jalepenoes also

Also a pic of one of the plants. So Inprobably have about another 5-600 tomotoes to pull over the next two weeks

maddiedou
dubi
AG
We ran out of your tomatoes and hubby bought one from H-E-B. I cut into it last night for dinner and it was hard as a rock.

Buy Maddidou's tomatoes as they are amazing!
maddiedou
AG
You know I have many tomotoes that ripen over a week and if you buy right every two or three days one would be ripe or stick in fridge when ripe and it slows it down

We can trade bullets for tomotoes
maddiedou
maddiedou
AG
Sold out again

Should have about 100 pounds by next saturday

I may need to get rid of some jalepenoes thi
maddiedou
maddiedou
AG
I am about to set up again

I have about 150-200 pounds I would guess

I think they are still good tomotoes but not as pretty as mays because if the heat and dry and wet

They have cracks at the top not all but the bigger ones

Probably one more saturday and Tomotoe season is over for me
maddiedou
maddiedou
AG
These are the tomotoes for today

maddiedou
maroon barchetta
Tell everyone how long you will be there today!
maddiedou
AG
9-11
maddiedou
maddiedou
AG
I know I keep bumping but if anybody cans whole tomotoes I think Inhave about 20-30 pounds that are the perfect size and ripeness to get started with
maddiedou
maddiedou
AG
What I picked friday sat saunday

This is Saturday should be the end of this thread

I hope to get everything sold or my wife will canned them
Saturday. 9-11. Pebble creek elementary

maddiedou
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.