Water Heaters

1,438 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by JMac03
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So looks like my mom's house she is selling needs 2 new water heaters. Electric, and both are in the attic.

Do we just go with a local plumber? Or do we save money if we buy the water heaters at Lowes and then pay a plumber to install? Honestly not even sure why there are 2 in the first place, it isn't that big of a house.
JP76
Are the heaters leaking now ? Did they get flagged at inspection ?

Shop it around but being in the attic and being summer it is not going to be an easy or cheap change out. I have been seeing some crazy prices for heater replacements. Lowes was trying to charge one guy over 3000 for a propane heater in the garage. Have also seen 2 recent quotes from local plumbers for 1500-1700 for electric heaters that were in garages.
aggies4life
AG
Def shop it around - I$
came across someone locally who said they got him for $4,000 each on 2 50 gallon in the garageā€¦I def would of told them to take them out and get the hell out!

I personally have replaced ours in the past, but it was in garage and I had some helping hands too.

When I cant do something plumbing related - I recommend Michael who is a master plumber and doesn't screw ppl over. Fair and honest guy.

979-204-1834. Tell him u found him on texags.
JMac03
AG
From the inspector to my RE agent:

"Both water heaters are located in the attic. Both water heaters have rest of the base of the tanks and could pop any minute. The right unit already has some water in the drain pain. Recommend replacement immediately".

maroon barchetta
maddiedou might have a recommendation. He knows stuff and people.
EBrazosAg
AG
Tuma did a great job for me in the past year. Fairly priced. Just let them get the heater. They can get a better deal than you can.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
skeetboy3
AG
JBG plumbing. But if it's electric it is not hard to do on your own
91_Aggie
AG
Last time I did this for my gas water heater, I couldn't get anyone to do it when I asked "what if I bought it and just needed you to install"

I'm pretty handy but didn't want to kill my family to save money when dealing with gas
JMac03
AG
Do water heaters required a certified plumber? Or is that something a handyman can do?

My main concern is that this is a house we are selling and so I don't want it to come back and bite us.
maroon barchetta
I would like to thank the OP for not using the term "hot water heater".

Blue star for you.
maroon barchetta
JMac03 said:

Do water heaters required a certified plumber? Or is that something a handyman can do?

My main concern is that this is a house we are selling and so I don't want it to come back and bite us.

My son and i installed our electric water heater. No troubles.

For gas I would call a plumber.
legalbird
Hang around the gas station. When a 22 year old plumber shows up in a work van, say, I have a small job and I pay cash.
maddiedou
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Blue star for you.

I have a plumber that can replace a Hot water heater

Also just remember if selling buy from lowes or Home depot they are a cheaper product and a cheaper price

If for your home buy from Moore supply higher price but better quality
maddiedou
maroon barchetta
maddiedou said:

maroon barchetta said:

Blue star for you.

I have a plumber that can replace a Hot water heater

Also just remember if selling buy from lowes or Home depot they are a cheaper product and a cheaper price

If for your home buy from Moore supply higher price but better quality
maroon barchetta
legalbird
Oh and make sure the van is a plumber's van
Independence H-D
If selling, I would just offer to knock a few grand off the price as allowance for the new owners to replace. No hassle and they can pick what they want and who they trust to install.
JMac03
AG
Independence H-D said:

If selling, I would just offer to knock a few grand off the price as allowance for the new owners to replace. No hassle and they can pick what they want and who they trust to install.

I have suggested this. I think the main concern is if one were to burst in the next month.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.