Minimum distance to move to be out of this Allergy and Humidity hellscape?

2,938 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by studioone
Tim Weaver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With both the kids grown and almost out of the house we are thinking about a move. I have a good job I don't want to leave, we have a business and a mother in law that we take care of.

How far away and in what direction do I have to go to see a significant drop in allergens and humidity levels?

The Brazos Valley has frayed my last nerve with this ridiculous springtime we've had.
El_duderino
Panhandle, New Mexico, Colorado
tu ag
AG
Humidity drops significantly West of Austin.
Allergies drop when you hit the plains or desert.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Not in the direction of Houston, mine have improved significantly since moving here
maroon barchetta
Arizona is the opposite way from the arrow I posted.
Tim Weaver
Chrundle the Great said:

Not in the direction of Houston, mine have improved significantly since moving here

Having worked in and around Houston for 20 years, there is no possible way I could live there.

I don't need Hill Country levels of humidity. A little break would be nice. What I really want is a break from how allergens flow up the BV and just stop right here. I was fine when I lived in Waco, but I still need to be within commuting distance of Bryan for at least the next 10-15 years probably.
BlueMiles
AG
Have you tried an allergy doc? It's been very helpful for me. I was seeing Dr. Barry Paull but since he's retired, I may visit his son. I don't really need to keep going as I'm so much better than I was when I started. Good luck whatever you decide.
Tim Weaver
BlueMiles said:

Have you tried an allergy doc? It's been very helpful for me. I was seeing Dr. Barry Paull but since he's retired, I may visit his son. I don't really need to keep going as I'm so much better than I was when I started. Good luck whatever you decide.

Yeah. Was on allergy shots for about 18 months. Didn't see enough improvement to continue with it. Not sure why exactly. I was with Barry Paull too, and have visited his Son's place, but they are swamped right now with all the extra patients.
doubledog
El_duderino said:

Panhandle, New Mexico, Colorado
The lower humidity brings with it other issues, such as nose bleeds, dry skin etc.
Tim Weaver
I'll trade nosebleeds from sinus infections for nosebleeds from dryness.
SW AG80
AG
West of Abilene.
trouble
AG
Depends on what you're allergic to. I moved to Georgetown for almost 15 years and it helped my son and ex-husband but the cedar there nearly killed me.

It's much drier there as well.
ukbb2003
Tim Weaver said:

Chrundle the Great said:

Having worked in and around Houston for 20 years, there is no possible way I could live there.

I don't need Hill Country levels of humidity. A little break would be nice. What I really want is a break from how allergens flow up the BV and just stop right here. I was fine when I lived in Waco, but I still need to be within commuting distance of Bryan for at least the next 10-15 years probably.

I lived in BCS growing up and didn't develop allergies until I went to Baylor. Back in BCS now and just finished allergy shots. They have helped.
BlueMiles
AG
Gotcha. If you're able to get in, his son seems to treat allergies more aggressively. I know the feeling of sinus infections (not as often now though).
histag10
AG
My parents live around Midland. Significantly less humidity, but the dust is pretty bad.... here are pictures from their last storm (yes, their house is sealed just fine, but they.couldnt even see their garage through the dust during this)
maroon barchetta
Had terrible ragweed allergies each October while living on the coast.

They are fine here.

If you don't have a HydroPulse or a SinuPulse, get one. It's like a waterpik for your sinuses.
SW AG80
AG
Thanks for that recommendation.
woodiewood
A lot of options would be based on what you are allergic to. Kerrville area is very nice unless you are allergic to redcedar pollen.

Tim Weaver
Mainly grasses and molds for me.
FlyRod
Highway 21 runs both ways!
SW AG80
AG
But neither way is out of humidity and allergies
Nosmo
AG
Weather Spark

Good site to compare different climate conditions of multiple cities at the same time.
jja79
AG
For 30 years I lived in either College Station or Spring. l relocated to Phoenix last year not due to allergies but to escape humidity. This evening a friend's grandsons, visiting from Houston, drove up on his golf cart and both were wearing bulky hoodies. I asked if they felt a chill and they blurted out it's so cold here. I didn't ask if they have allergies or if it was better for them.
EagleLM
Humidity is everywhere, unless you head towards west Texas. For Allergies...Alegra and Alegra-D.
Burn-It
AG
We moved last year from League City to property south of CS. I was MISERABLE May-June. Allergies killed me. I went to get tested, basically allergic to local everything.

Doc gave me the best advice. Try local honey, no sugar. Take full advantage of the NeilMed OTC offerings. Treat every cut & scrape like your life depended on it. Avoid rat ***** Everything else is golden.
AKA 13-0
studioone
Tim Weaver said:

With both the kids grown and almost out of the house we are thinking about a move. I have a good job I don't want to leave, we have a business and a mother in law that we take care of.

How far away and in what direction do I have to go to see a significant drop in allergens and humidity levels?

The Brazos Valley has frayed my last nerve with this ridiculous springtime we've had.

You can't move..... your wife won't let you..

All you need is a spoonful of LOCAL honey every night and your allergies are gone...

Hit me up in July.
KidDoc
AG
Pretty much west of Temple area so nowhere you can really drive to. The air quality from central american agricultural fires is really the pits this year. Not sure why it is so bad but this chronic haze is depressing and gross.

As far as allergies try the following- azelastine + steroid nasal spray, nasal rinses with Navage, HEPA air filter in your sleeping room.

Fires and Smoke over Honduras and Surrounding Countries | Earthdata (nasa.gov)

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
My son was commenting on the haze earlier. It's been crummy.
happyinBCS
So thankful I don't have any allergies, grew up in Houston, as a kid I had several beehives and Mom used the honey from the hives
So maybe that is a thought---- almost 50 years living in the Brazos valley and all I am trying to do is get to the mountains before my normal arrival due to this crazy early heat

I hope you can find some relief without moving
Tim Weaver
studioone said:

Tim Weaver said:

You can't move..... your wife won't let you..

All you need is a spoonful of LOCAL honey every night and your allergies are gone...

Hit me up in July.
Probably right about that....

I will get some honey from you when its ready. I'm on Keto, but if I'm careful I can have about a teaspoon a day.
Tailgate88
AG
There is a local honey vendor at the Farmer's Market in Bryan on Saturday mornings if you want to get a small jar to tide you over until Studio's is ready. Studio please post when yours is available we are always looking for good local honey!
studioone
Tailgate88 said:

There is a local honey vendor at the Farmer's Market in Bryan on Saturday mornings if you want to get a small jar to tide you over until Studio's is ready. Studio please post when yours is available we are always looking for good local honey!
check the classifieds in a month or two... I can't post here that I got honey for sale cause I'll get yelled at ...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.