"Biggest economic development project since the creation of Texas A&M University"

12,963 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by benchmark
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Nuclear energy coming to RELLIS, hoping to prevent future electricity loss

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/05/30/nuclear-energy-coming-rellis-hoping-prevent-future-electricity-loss/
We've had up two reactors on campus, one under Zachry and one out by the airport. I'd say RELLIS is overdue.
GSS
techno-ag said:

We've had up two reactors on campus, one under Zachry and one out by the airport. I'd say RELLIS is overdue.

The AGN that was in Zachary (moved, in storage) was a 5 watt training reactor, and the 1MW NSC reactor by Eastwood is purely for research, the heat is a waste product, no generation of electricity. But fissioning does take place!
NRA Life
TSRA Life
techno-ag
Hornbeck
AG
Is Sharp going to have an outside firm run the nuclear reactor? Call me crazy, but what is the danger of a 1GW reactor if it melts down?
tu ag
AG
Nuclear power is the most efficient and best source of energy that we have. Cheap (in comparison to others), low environmental impact, and safe. This isn't 1960s or even 2000s tech.

The reason it isn't used more is because of public fear based on disasters by incompetence and old tech.

FYI - he is asking for bids, so A&M won't be building it and probably not running it themselves.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
That 1 GW number is never going to happen here I'm surprised they even said that in the press conference, for reference that's the electrical output of the current large plants operating within the US. There is no way NRC would license one of those at RELLIS given the fact it's already an operating research facility with lots of people working next door and BCS is too close by. The smaller ones would be possible.

I said it in the other thread that got deleted, but just getting 1 unit of any size built and supplying power to the grid within 5-7 years would be a monumental accomplishment. There's a ton of planning that would have to go into this before even submitting an application to NRC which would then take a long review time. I support this idea and hope it works out, but they're really shooting for the moon with the timeline and number of units.
Hornbeck
AG
The reason I asked is because exactly that. A 1GW plant is pretty large and pretty costly. I was reading this:

Advanced nuclear reactors are estimated to cost $5,366 for every kilowatt of capacity. That means a large 1-gigawatt reactor would cost around $5.4 billion to build, excluding financing costs.

I know the school has money, but I didn't know if $5B was in the budget. I also know that's a lot of nuclear fission material, to generate 1 GW. Maybe it can't happen again, but I would hate BCS to be the next ***ushima. ETA: place in Japan where reactor meltdown occurred due to tsunami.
techno-ag
AG
Hornbeck said:

The reason I asked is because exactly that. A 1GW plant is pretty large and pretty costly. I was reading this:

Advanced nuclear reactors are estimated to cost $5,366 for every kilowatt of capacity. That means a large 1-gigawatt reactor would cost around $5.4 billion to build, excluding financing costs.

I know the school has money, but I didn't know if $5B was in the budget. I also know that's a lot of nuclear fission material, to generate 1 GW. Maybe it can't happen again, but I would hate BCS to be the next ***ushima. ETA: place in Japan where reactor meltdown occurred due to tsunami.
I'm thinking most of these are going to be on the smaller end. The idea is to make a little portable nuke that can power a cluster of buildings or something.
Animal Eight 84
AG
My guess is they would build up to three 330 MW small modular reactors vs a one large 1000 MW unit.
A 330 MWe SMR is about three times the output of the original Dansby Unit 1 generator that BTU owns at Lake Bryan.

Dow is proposing 4 SMR for its Seadrift Tx facility.
Most serious proposals cluster several units together and share staff and facilities ( maintenance, wastewater treatment, water plant, rail network, switchyard, warehouse, etc) vs a standalone unit.

Makes even more financial sense to build SMR at existing or former coal plant sites such as Alcoa Rockdale, Limestone, or Gibbons Creek and use existing infrastructure.

The designs would be standardized modules built in a factory and shipped to the site via barge or rail.
Holtec already has the capability in Camden NJ to roll a pressure vessel for its 330 MWe SMR design.

Would be a moonshot effort to build the first units in 7 years since workforce and manufacturing isn't fully in place.

Rellis site has two big challenges.
Emergency Planning Zone limitations and ready access to condenser cooling water.

The new designs are passively cooled when shutdown, ***ushima Daichii loss of cooling events won't happen.
Animal Eight 84
AG
Deleted
woodometer
AG
Plus its gonna be free. I believe they plan to use government money. (Sarcasm intended)
davido
AG
whoop1995 said:

Oh boy - college station govt gonna have to one up it somehow -
6. Charging to take a picture in the new sign outside the new city hall

Brilliant list. BTW, I guess it's so it can be seen from the street, but the fact that the sign is so wide makes it a requirement that they're going to have a lot of room at the top of the photo. Seems like having the oak trees and Kyle Field in the background would've be a plus.

Just seems oddly planned with the parking lot in the background.

Glad to see next-gen nuclear
Moving forward.
PS3D
You can't spell ***ushima? There's not even a C!

Next thing you tell me they're going to censor the name of Mafioso Liborio ****rera.
DonHenley
AG
This is OT but build more nuke plants. Renewables are nice until it's cloudy or not windy
boredatwork08
AG
DonHenley said:

This is OT but build more nuke plants. Renewables are nice until it's cloudy or not windy

Always good to have a mix. Nuke can provide great baseline power.
techno-ag
AG
DonHenley said:

Looks like they're going to do that too.

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/05/30/nuclear-energy-coming-rellis-hoping-prevent-future-electricity-loss/
angus55
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

GSS said:

The biggest challenge to developing on 47 is the lack of infrastructure - namely water and sewer. It's so costly to install to begin with and there is going to need to be a lot done to get it in working order.

But I've always liked that area as prime for developemenr opportunities. I just don't have the hundreds and millions it requires. But I remember writing a paper in grad school about the BioCorridor!
A CoB water line was installed along Hwy 47, and the CoB is currently using Biden "Recovery Act" $$$, to procure easements, and install a sewer line from the Hwy 21/47 area, sending it miles to the sewer plant off of Jones Rd.
Good to know. Didn't realize that.

The next question is - does the installed sewer line to the sewer plant off Jones have enough capacity to carry all the waste if development growth increases the density of the land use out there? You'd have hope they would be a bit more forward thinking in this regard

Can it be ran through some College Station properties? Asking for a friend.
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have, or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-b******, were going to rip out their living G*******d guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun c********** by the bushel-f****** basket. War is a bloody killing business. You've got to spill their blood or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shot them in the guts.
GSS

GSS said:

The biggest challenge to developing on 47 is the lack of infrastructure - namely water and sewer. It's so costly to install to begin with and there is going to need to be a lot done to get it in working order.

But I've always liked that area as prime for developemenr opportunities. I just don't have the hundreds and millions it requires. But I remember writing a paper in grad school about the BioCorridor!
A CoB water line was installed along Hwy 47, and the CoB is currently using Biden "Recovery Act" $$$, to procure easements, and install a sewer line from the Hwy 21/47 area, sending it miles to the sewer plant off of Jones Rd.
Good to know. Didn't realize that.

The next question is - does the installed sewer line to the sewer plant off Jones have enough capacity to carry all the waste if development growth increases the density of the land use out there? You'd have hope they would be a bit more forward thinking in this regard
The current sewer plant off of Jones Rd is rated for 2 million gallons/day, CoB/ BTU says it's typically handling 1 million/day, they are spending the $$$ to plan an upgrade to 8 million/day capacity.
The planned sewer line is alleged to NOT handle any RELLIS sewer/discharge (direct comment from BTU), A&M was not interested, but it's a safe bet that will change.

BTU sewer expansion
NRA Life
TSRA Life
JP76
Sounds like they are ramping up for large development in the area if they want that capacity. Props to COB for being forward thinking on this.
techno-ag
AG
JP76 said:

Sounds like they are ramping up for large development in the area if they want that capacity. Props to COB for being forward thinking on this.
Bryan has been knocking them out of the park lately.
maroon barchetta
There is a lot of early celebrating here. The KBTX headline says that nuclear power is coming to RELLIS.

Can we get thru the early parts of this process and see if the proposals get accepted and a firm number is provided as to the cost and whether funding can be had?

Let's see a shovel break some ground before we throw a parade.
Hornbeck
AG
Yes. There was much ballyhooing about the biocorridor and the medical center too. Now, the land around that is just a cheap place to park your herd.
GSS
JP76 said:

Part (most?) of the ramping up is due to a very substantial Fed (our) tax $$$ bonus, compliments of the trillion $$ "Recovery Act" bill.
But I suppose better use of it, than building medians....
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Hate to admit that we also don't have the best track of record once shovel's break ground though.

Looking at the COCS and the baseball fields off Rock Prairie for example.
Hornbeck
AG

Hate to admit that we also don't have the best track of record once shovel's break ground though.

Looking at the COCS and the baseball fields off Rock Prairie for example.

Fire. Ready. Aim.
This seems to be the track record of the two-named city to the South.

More Examples:
Chimney Hill
Macy's
Rosemary sewer line

I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones off the top of my head.
maroon barchetta
Nobody associated with Bryan or with RELLIS will appreciate you bringing that fiasco into the conversation.
Captn_Ag05
AG
woodometer
AG
Bryan Mayor Bobby Gutierrez Visits From Japan During An Economic Development Trip
Captn_Ag05
AG
https://wtaw.com/public-notices-involving-a-possible-10-billion-dollar-manufacturer-coming-to-the-rellis-campus/
Dufflepud
So a 40 billion dollar endeavor is created out of a 'come-and-go' attorney suite in Plano?

Based on this filing it's possible they specialize in energy related entities - or maybe just wind farms.

maroon barchetta
Bearkat?
techno-ag
AG
Dufflepud said:

So a 40 billion dollar endeavor is created out of a 'come-and-go' attorney suite in Plano?

American Foundry is a big "rapid prototyping 3d+ engineering firm." Maybe "America's Foundry Bryan" is a new subsidiary?

https://americanfoundry.com/
benchmark
AG
techno-ag said:

American Foundry is a big "rapid prototyping 3d+ engineering firm." Maybe "America's Foundry Bryan" is a new subsidiary?
Probably not. This is likely a reference to a semiconductor foundary. A semiconductor foundry manufactures chips for others ... like TSMC makes chips for Apple and NVIDIA.
NateDog
AG
Dufflepud said:

Based on this filing it's possible they specialize in energy related entities - or maybe just wind farms.

Duff, the "come & go attorney" is simply the agent that filed the LLC on behalf of the corp. And two LLCs being filed by the same agent doesn't mean the two companies are related, it means they used the same agent.

The coming & going thread has some more speculation on what America's Foundry might be.
TyHolden
AG
any news on this?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.