"Biggest economic development project since the creation of Texas A&M University"

10,260 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by woodometer
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

May's regular meeting of the Bryan city council including four items involving economic development.

One was creating a reinvestment zone on the west side RELLIS campus that would allow property tax breaks. A statement from A&M system chancellor John Sharp that was read by mayor Bobby Gutierrez says the 288 acre reinvestment zone could be the biggest economic development project since the creation of Texas A&M university.
https://wtaw.com/bryan-city-council-takes-action-on-four-economic-development-items/

Any ideas on what the "prospect" might be?
maroon barchetta
Property tax breaks?

Like, say, $1?
tu ag
AG
I could use some property tax breaks.
BCSWguru
dont care about investments. tired of the tax breaks.
Animal Eight 84
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Quote:

………A statement from A&M system chancellor John Sharp that was read by mayor Bobby Gutierrez says the 288 acre reinvestment zone could be the biggest economic development project since the creation of Texas A&M university.

Wow, that's an incredible return on 288 acres.
Hope the mayor's impact assessment is correct.

whoop1995
AG
Oh boy - college station govt gonna have to one up it somehow -
1. charge for parking everywhere,
2. add a dollar a burrito or slice of pizza tax
3. build the biggest water tower ever including scuba tours
4. acquire navasota by immenent domain
5. Build Santa wonderland to include all the holidays like st patties, July 4th, Halloween, new years, etc
6. Charging to take a picture in the new sign outside the new city hall
7. Whatever y'all think off

I collect ticket stubs! looking for a 1944 orange bowl and 1981 independence bowl ticket stub as well as Aggie vs tu stubs - 1926 and below, 1935-1937, 1939-1944, 1946-1948, 1950-1951, 1953, 1956-1957, 1959, 1960, 1963-1966, 1969-1970, 1972-1974, 1980-1981, 1983-1984, 1990, 2004, 2008, 2010
Hittag1492
AG
Bryan overall has passed College Station massively as far as thoughtful development. Don't get me wrong, both cities have done moronic things in the past-likely will continue to so so. But Bryan leadership has a much more open mind and is trying and working with people. College Station leadership has an arrogant and narrow minded tone all the way around.

There are exceptions, but overall College Station is stuck being lead by and dominated by the "old money" contingent that is good at one thing-making money for themselves with little worry for the overall welfare of the citizens or the numerous outstanding opportunities to improve the city.
Aggie@state.gov
AG
my guess would be possibly a military expansion in a partnership with Army Futures Command and the Bush Combat Development Center
MarineBQ04
AG
Possibly this?

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/05/22/strategic-armory-corps-signs-agreement-establish-worldwide-headquarters-bryan/
TommyBrady
AG
Lockheed, Boeing, or Raytheon. We aren't building all that hypersonic testing ability to let it sit idle.
cypress-ag
AG
Think tech as like the chip facility being built in Hutto, rumor is that 79 corridor will be filled with all things chip related and we will be tied to it.
maroon barchetta
cypress-ag said:

Think tech as like the chip facility being built in Hutto, rumor is that 79 corridor will be filled with all things chip related and we will be tied to it.

Like 2818 and 47 were going to be the BioCorridor?
australopithecus robustus
I for one respect all efforts to bring alternative industry and commerce to the area. The sole reliance on TAMU for commerce is a double edged sword. TAMU is still the state, and a school, which limits it in terms of seasonality and free market innovation.

This market has begun a turn from podunk to something greater, but the turn has been very, very slow and it's not there yet by any means. It needs a couple final nudges to get to the promised land.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
maroon barchetta said:

cypress-ag said:

Like 2818 and 47 were going to be the BioCorridor?

The biggest challenge to developing on 47 is the lack of infrastructure - namely water and sewer. It's so costly to install to begin with and there is going to need to be a lot done to get it in working order.

But I've always liked that area as prime for developemenr opportunities. I just don't have the hundreds and millions it requires. But I remember writing a paper in grad school about the BioCorridor!
GSS
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

The biggest challenge to developing on 47 is the lack of infrastructure - namely water and sewer. It's so costly to install to begin with and there is going to need to be a lot done to get it in working order.

But I've always liked that area as prime for developemenr opportunities. I just don't have the hundreds and millions it requires. But I remember writing a paper in grad school about the BioCorridor!
A CoB water line was installed along Hwy 47, and the CoB is currently using Biden "Recovery Act" $$$, to procure easements, and install a sewer line from the Hwy 21/47 area, sending it miles to the sewer plant off of Jones Rd.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
GSS said:

Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

A CoB water line was installed along Hwy 47, and the CoB is currently using Biden "Recovery Act" $$$, to procure easements, and install a sewer line from the Hwy 21/47 area, sending it miles to the sewer plant off of Jones Rd.
Good to know. Didn't realize that.

The next question is - does the installed sewer line to the sewer plant off Jones have enough capacity to carry all the waste if development growth increases the density of the land use out there? You'd have hope they would be a bit more forward thinking in this regard
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Samsung chip facility is in the works there
australopithecus robustus
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Are you speculating or saying this as confirmed? That would be huge and exactly what we need
Hittag1492
AG
Samsung in Taylor info...australopithecus robustus said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Are you speculating or saying this as confirmed? That would be huge and exactly what we need
That facility is going in the Hutto/Taylor area.

Samsung in Taylor info...
tu ag
AG
I am at the age where I now dread a big development making things grow rapidly in the area.
Infrastructure, cost of living, taxes, traffic, crime, etc. are all growing right alongside everything else.
Yet the good things (infrastructure) can't keep up with the bad things (cost of living, taxes, etc).
nwspmp
I wonder if it might have anything to do with this

https://news.tamus.edu/texas-am-system-steps-up-to-stabilize-texas-energy-grid/

Current 69kV is right across the highway and 138kV isn't far away. Plant Cooling can happen maybe in the river?
Animal Eight 84
AG
nwspmp said:

Current 69kV is right across the highway and 138kV isn't far away. Plant Cooling can happen maybe in the river?

Peak Power Plants mentioned in article are open cycle gas turbines and exhaust waste heat to the atmosphere thus no cooling water for a condenser.
They start up very quickly.
They just need easy access to transmission and natural gas pipeline. Their power is expensive to generate due to waste heat ( btus) not being utilized.
Also combustion turbines are often limited on run- time hours due to clean air act pollution limits.

There are currently two relatively new 48MW gas turbines at BTU's Dansby power plant in addition to the original gas fired boiler steam turbine unit.

Combined cycle plants take the waste heat from a combustion turbine & generate steam with it for a conventional steam turbine. Those require cooling for a condenser. Power generated is cheaper with heat conversion efficiencies over 60%.
TyHolden
AG
I hope whatever it is, Elon is involved….
BluHorseShu
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Quote:

May's regular meeting of the Bryan city council including four items involving economic development.

One was creating a reinvestment zone on the west side RELLIS campus that would allow property tax breaks. A statement from A&M system chancellor John Sharp that was read by mayor Bobby Gutierrez says the 288 acre reinvestment zone could be the biggest economic development project since the creation of Texas A&M university.
https://wtaw.com/bryan-city-council-takes-action-on-four-economic-development-items/

Don't know...but I'm all for increasing economic/industry development faster than our infrastructure can keep up. Everyone remember Austin in the late 80's/early 90's? I am really excited about the traffic and all the usually kerfuffles that come with growth.

Just kidding. I miss B/CS in the 70's/early 80's. Just the right size. But then I miss SWC and a cowpie/fries for less than $5. That was back when I was just a kid laughing at the old curmudgeons complaining like I am now. Circle of grumpy man life.
Tailgate88
AG
nwspmp said:

A Peaker Power plant does not sound like a massive economic development project.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Starting at 1:52 of Congressman McCaul's interview on WTAW today, he talks about it being related to the CHIPs
Act and semiconductors and again echoed Sharp's comment about the economic impact to the Brazos Valley. He said he couldn't say more but hopes to in the next few weeks.

https://wtaw.com/congressman-michael-mccaul-on-wtaws-the-infomaniacs-may-24-2024/
TommyBrady
AG
Texas A&M will receive $200 million to build fabs for quantum and artificial intelligence chip fabrication and about $26.4 million for the Center for Microdevices and Systems, which will work to develop the next generation of chips, according to Yossef Elabd, vice chancellor for research at Texas A&M.

"We are focused on the new chemistry, the new materials, the new processes and the next version of the chip," Elabd said.

The facilities at both universities do not aim to manufacture chips for commercialization; instead, they will focus on piloting new products that meet market standards and training the future technicians, engineers and leaders of the industry. Semiconductor companies are giving feedback to UT-Austin and A&M about what kind of facilities they need to build and what they should teach students to be prepared for working in this business.

Elabd said Texas is in a good position to attract new investment and federal funds.

"Most semiconductor companies are already in Texas, a lot of funding is in Texas, we are a very business-friendly state and Texas A&M is the No. 1 school in the country for engineering production. It is the best place for chip production growth," he said. "The $1.4 billion investment is a huge message to the entire community that Texas wants to lead the way."
TyHolden
AG
TommyBrady said:

Texas A&M will receive $200 million to build fabs for quantum and artificial intelligence chip fabrication and about $26.4 million for the Center for Microdevices and Systems, which will work to develop the next generation of chips, according to Yossef Elabd, vice chancellor for research at Texas A&M.

"We are focused on the new chemistry, the new materials, the new processes and the next version of the chip," Elabd said.

The facilities at both universities do not aim to manufacture chips for commercialization; instead, they will focus on piloting new products that meet market standards and training the future technicians, engineers and leaders of the industry. Semiconductor companies are giving feedback to UT-Austin and A&M about what kind of facilities they need to build and what they should teach students to be prepared for working in this business.

Elabd said Texas is in a good position to attract new investment and federal funds.

"Most semiconductor companies are already in Texas, a lot of funding is in Texas, we are a very business-friendly state and Texas A&M is the No. 1 school in the country for engineering production. It is the best place for chip production growth," he said. "The $1.4 billion investment is a huge message to the entire community that Texas wants to lead the way."
wow, that's awesome
Captn_Ag05
AG
Wasn't that announced last year? They are talking about something new.
Sojur
City of Bryan is currently spending $15M+ of federal grant money to extend water and sewer to the area around RELLIS.
Sojur
I heard the plant is permitted for 8MGD and is currently only at 2MGD.
Sojur
Peaker plant doesn't use/need a lot of water for cooling. Most are turbines that are air cooled.
techno-ag
AG
Sojur said:

City of Bryan is currently spending $15M+ of federal grant money to extend water and sewer to the area around RELLIS.
Bryan is knocking it out of the park, as per usual these days. Kudos.
Tailgate88
AG
Nuclear energy coming to RELLIS, hoping to prevent future electricity loss

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/05/30/nuclear-energy-coming-rellis-hoping-prevent-future-electricity-loss/
BrazosWifi
Tailgate88 said:

Nuclear energy coming to RELLIS, hoping to prevent future electricity loss

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/05/30/nuclear-energy-coming-rellis-hoping-prevent-future-electricity-loss/
I thought the thread title was hyperbole but it may be exactly on point. Next Generation Nuclear is going to be HUGE!
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.