old grocery store question... 1970s

1,501 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Dumbfounded
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
what grocery store was at the bend in Bryan? Corner of homestead and texas ave. Currently a Bingo parlor...

Was it a weingartens?

My mom and I got into n argument about what used to be there in the 70s....
woodiewood
studioone said:

what grocery store was at the bend in Bryan? Corner of homestead and texas ave. Currently a Bingo parlor...

Was it a weingartens?

My mom and I got into n argument about what used to be there in the 70s....
It was Weingartens at some time. On the second floor there is still a large Weingartens sign on the wall. If course it could have been another chain grocer before or after. I have a photo of the sign somewhere on my backup drive. https://csroadsandretail.blogspot.com/2013/12/weingarten-supermarket-bryan.html
Brazos1865
AG
Weingarten's as far back as my memory goes. Seems like it may have been a Safeway after that, maybe in the '80s. Then Safeway moved to the Brazos County Health Department building at Texas and WJB, maybe…
UmustBKidding
Weingartens became Safeway while the Safeway at 25th an tx was open. I thought it was crazy how long they kept both stores. Ps3d blog linked above is correct per my remembering.
BaronDeBishopville
Safeway was at the Health Department location in the early 60's.
Brazos1865
AG
Gotcha. And…Piggly Wiggly at 24th and Tabor.
BaronDeBishopville
The grocery store at 24th and Tabor was an Orr's in the early 60's. There was a sign at North Texas and Russell(?) announcing a future Orr's location put up about that time period. It was there for years, I think it finally just fell over.
Rapier108
IIRC, Piggly Wiggly was at the location on Texas Avenue where Aarons and Rent a Tire now are.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
maroon barchetta
OP's mom will be so proud that her son resorted to getting help from internet strangers to be able to prove her wrong.
halibut sinclair
Rapier108 said:

IIRC, Piggly Wiggly was at the location on Texas Avenue where Aarons and Rent a Tire now are.
That is correct - I had a friend that worked there. There was also a Piggly Wiggly at 24th and Tabor in the late 70s-80s, as stated earlier.
Dumbfounded
Piggly Wiggly at Tx and Rosemary and Orr's at Tx and North (I think).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.