CoCS exploring charging for street parking (Soccer and Strait)

4,667 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by techno-ag
Hornbeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Discussions?

Personally, I feel like this is just another stealth tax by the People's Republik of Kollege Station, comrades… I'd be real mad if I owned a house over there, and I got ticketed for parking in front of my house that I pay taxes on already.

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/04/26/college-station-city-council-considering-paid-parking-events/
FlyRod
I may have misread the article but it sounds like they're trying to figure out how to avoid residential street congestion. But I dunno.
threecatcorner
If they do it like some other cities, maybe they will have parking tags or stickers for people who live there and meters for other random people parking.

I am pretty sure that's how parking is (or at least was) set up on lower Greenville Ave. in Dallas. I don't know how it is currently, but at least at one time, the area that had lots of bars, etc. charged people to park if they didn't live there (pretty sure it was metered), and people who actually lived on that street had a sticker on their window that gave them permission to park.

Also possible that the parking sticker meant they could stay 24 hours a day and it was max 2 hours or so for everyone else.

It's been quite a while since I've been there. Maybe someone else knows if parking is still like that there.
doubledog
FlyRod said:

I may have misread the article but it sounds like they're trying to figure out how to avoid residential street congestion. But I dunno.
How about a no parking on only one side of the street on Mon, Wed, Friday and Sun then the other side on Tue, Thurs and Sat. That would stop the permanent street parking and reduce residential street congestion.

Stupe
S
FlyRod said:

You didn't misread it.
PS3D
woodiewood
The city can do what they want at City Hall and other city property but they should not be able to affect the parking situation at non-city owned property such as Redmond Terrace.. Let the property owners decided if they want to charge for parking or not.

I am not sure what the difference in the parking situation is between the two large events mentioned and the seven to eight football weekends that occur every year?
befitter
Get ready for those ugly Park Mobile signs to pop up everywhere
Hornbeck
I think people do read articles before they post. Maybe several from different sources, and know that football game parking was mentioned in said other articles. Allegedly, some people do know how to read and research.

The city stands to make $30k to $60k per weekend event. But, this is just to reduce congestion.
AggiePhil
AG
Huge fan of this. First, we're only talking about 8 or so weekends per year. Second, the residents are not parking on the street on a regular basis. The street parking happens when 100k+ people drop into town for an event at Kyle Field. MANY other cities already have this in limited parking availability areas, sometimes year round. As proposed, this is a special event only thing.
Stupe
S
Unless it's designated with a No Parking sign, people already park on the streets close to campus on game weekends and Parents Weekend. Residents can't do anything about it because it's a public street.

Unless they put up signs that designate it for only residents and guests, I don't have an issue with it. If they are going to park in neighborhoods, they should pay for it.
EBrazosAg
AG
If I was the mall , and COCS wants to use their parking spaces and not pay common maintenance fees, I'd turn the spots outside their spaces into for pay with a shuttle bus for 1/2 the price of the old Macys spaces that the city wants to charge for.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PS3D
Hornbeck said:

The city stands to make $30k to $60k per weekend event. But, this is just to reduce congestion.

For the soccer event some of that is going to crowd control and extra security, to prevent things like riots and crowd crush. Even if disaster was averted, I wouldn't be surprised if the city still lost money.
Hittag1492
AG
PS3D said:

Hornbeck said:

For the soccer event some of that is going to crowd control and extra security, to prevent things like riots and crowd crush. Even if disaster was averted, I wouldn't be surprised if the city still lost money.

If the city figures out a way to lose money on these events overall somehow then they all need to be removed from office immediately. That particular argument will not work. That said, I do not disagree with the concept as long as residents can still park for free.
PS3D
Hittag1492 said:

PS3D said:

Hornbeck said:

If the city figures out a way to lose money on these events overall somehow then they all need to be removed from office immediately. That particular argument will not work. That said, I do not disagree with the concept as long as residents can still park for free.
You do realize in the case of big, BIG events over the years like the Olympics or the Worlds' Fair, those events turn a multi-million dollar loss, right? It's not about making money, it's about prestige (and the long-range economic focus).
Hittag1492
AG
PS3D said:

Hittag1492 said:

PS3D said:

Hornbeck said:

You do realize in the case of big, BIG events over the years like the Olympics or the Worlds' Fair, those events turn a multi-million dollar loss, right? It's not about making money, it's about prestige (and the long-range economic focus).

This does not compare anywhere near to either of those events and is expected to have a rather nice positive financial impact (by the city itself)- you can very easily use a football game as a much better comparison for obvious reasons. There is no real reason to argue on this point actually. In this case, it is absolutely about making money.
maroon barchetta
PS3D said:

Hittag1492 said:

PS3D said:

Hornbeck said:

Terrible comparison.

Olympic host cities spend billions constructing new venues all over the place to host events.

The city does not have to do that in this case.
rockelle
'We expect tens of thousands of new visitors to our town."

"Excellent, let's create new fees and taxes to fleece them."
techno-ag
AG
rockelle said:

Yup. Brought to you by the same folks who tack on an extra percentage to your utility bill that adds to the city coffers.
Hornbeck
rockelle said:

"Silly Texags poster, this is just to reduce street congestion!!!! All of you people complaining make me laugh" - other TexAgs posters…
woodiewood
Hornbeck said:

rockelle said:

"Silly Texags poster, this is just to reduce street congestion!!!! All of you people complaining make me laugh" - other TexAgs posters…
I suspect the next step is to charge for onstreet parking for persons coming to football games as the streets are somewhat congested for every game.

Government at all levels will never quench it's thirst for the citizen's money.

techno-ag
AG
woodiewood said:

Hornbeck said:

rockelle said:

I suspect the next step is to charge for onstreet parking for persons coming to football games as the streets are somewhat congested for every game.

Government at all levels will never quench it's thirst for the citizen's money.

Maybe they could add a tollbooth like in Blazing Saddles. "Somebody go back and get a load of dimes!"
milner79
PS3D said:

Hornbeck said:

... not to mention famine, drought, and pestilence ...
legalbird
Will the tow trucks have staging lots? I've seen this before where they will use a large parking lot nearby to tow so that they can triple the business in a matter of hours.
Hornbeck
The city staff brought this up when it was pitched. The Soccer and George Strait concert are the "pilot program" for football season. If they can make $50k per, then you can bet they are eager to do just that.
Deej
AG
As someone who lives in the area. Comments of the staff and council state we just need to change how we as residents do things those weekends, As in no resident parking on street without being charged or ticketed., no friends or visitors during those time without being charged or ticketed. They are not planning on exceptions for residents. The only way for this to be fair is for every neighborhood to be subjected to the same rules, and not single out one neighborhood. And no I am not a student, I have lived in the Southside for 30 plus years.
threecatcorner
Deej said:

As someone who lives in the area. Comments of the staff and council state we just need to change how we as residents do things those weekends, As in no resident parking on street without being charged or ticketed., no friends or visitors during those time without being charged or ticketed. They are not planning on exceptions for residents. The only way for this to be fair is for every neighborhood to be subjected to the same rules, and not single out one neighborhood. And no I am not a student, I have lived in the Southside for 30 plus years.

That is ridiculous. You should be able to park by your home. What do they expect people to do? Magically have less cars? Park several blocks away (where people who live on those streets are probably already parked)? Otherwise, you have to pay exorbitant amounts to use part of the paid street parking like they expect the visitors to do?

Completely inconveniencing local residents so the city can make a buck (or several) is really horrible of them. (I would use a word other than horrible but don't want it blocked).

Is this a done deal or something that's still being discussed? If it's not set yet, is there anywhere for people to make comments (like "don't do this; it's a terrible idea") or just basically email all of city council (since we in CS don't have a specific one who's "our" representative for a particular area since they are all at large)?
hopeandrealchange
Hornbeck said:

The city staff brought this up when it was pitched. The Soccer and George Strait concert are the "pilot prigram" for football season. If they can make $50k per, then you can bet they are eager to do just that.

Just think. It will only take three or four weekend events of inconvenience for us to recover the expense of the graphics on the Towerpoint water tower.
How can anyone accept the decisions being made in our city?
Stupe
S
Deej said:

I don't live in that area, but that is just wrong.
Hornbeck
I'm amazed at the lack of forethought and haphazard way the city spends money here. They tend to throw good money after bad trying to solve problems that may not have needed a solution in the first place.
maroon barchetta
Where is Mr. Yancy to provide a fiscally conservative explanation?
cypress-ag
AG
Why does the City of College Station go out of its way to charge visitors for every damn thing in this town. They harass students, that bring in dollars to the city as well. They are working to kill off Northgate with High Rises as well. How about being welcoming to visitors, fix the infrastructure to the city and be fiscal responsible by not buying commercial property and sitting on it using taxpayer money.
Hornbeck
You seem to have misspelled "real estate speculation" but, I see where you're going with this and I support it!
Ag97
AG
So 25 years ago when I lived on Southgate we would charge people to park in our driveway for football games. We could squeeze 6 cars in the driveway and charge $20/car. CoCS cracked down on it and said it was illegal because they considered any of the cars not completely on the concrete to be parked in the yard (to get 6 cars double stacked, we would be off the concrete a foot or two and in the grass. I'm a little miffed that they now want to charge people to park on the streets when they don't allow residents to charge to park in their driveways. Money grubbers.
Deej
AG
They still have that same rule today. They discourage anyone charging for parking in driveways the same way. Rules for thee but not for me.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.