Wet area in ceiling

873 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by runnrboy
runnrboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure who to call but I noticed a small area of the ceiling in our shower has been wet. It's at an area that shares a wall with the garage. Also see a small area that's been wet on the bedroom ceiling along the shared wall with the shower and garage. There are no water lines in the area. Only thing I can think of is the dryer vent that goes through the roof, which is next to these areas could be allowing water in. I tried getting to the area in the attic but where it's located there isn't a lot of room and my old knees won't allow me to get to it.

Who to call? Plumber, HVAC, or someone else?
Smeghead4761
If there's a vent going through the roof near there, I'd call a roofer first. I had to have about half the vents on my roof re-sealed not long ago. The sealant on those does wear out with time.
JP76
What year was the house built ?

Where is the hvac unit in relation to this area ?

Pre 2004 a lot of the hvac drains tied into bath drains in the attic

Water heater is not in attic ?

You could have a lead vent flashing that is leaking due to squirrels chewing the top of the lead flashing off

If you look at the roof outside, do you see any plumbing vents in this general area ?
runnrboy
AG
Quote:

What year was the house built ?
Where is the hvac unit in relation to this area ?
Pre 2004 a lot of the hvac drains tied into bath drains in the attic.
Water heater is not in attic ?
Mid-90's house with the furnace in the attic on the opposite side of the house with it draining into the other bathroom drain. Condenser is outside the master bath wall with the refrigerant lines running through the attic above the shower in question.
Water heater is in the garage.

Quote:

You could have a lead vent flashing that is leaking due to squirrels chewing the top of the lead flashing off

If you look at the roof outside, do you see any plumbing vents in this general area ?
If I remember correctly after crawling up into the attic, it is possible water could be trickling down the vent line. I didn't see anything big with the roof or where water was leaking onto the blown insulation. So water running down the outside of the vent line could be a possibility. The wet area is running along the wall header and one stud and it's not a very big area.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.