Homestead exemption letter from atty

3,006 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by cavscout96
Rexter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone else gotten a letter from Perdue Brandon Fielder Collins Mott concerning homestead exemption audit? Says they are assisting BCAD in auditing exemptions, and to call and verify information within 15 days, or they will advise BCAD to remove the exemption.
trouble
AG
Call bcad yourself tomorrow. That letter sounds scammy.
TexAg1987
It's real. Apparently a new law that the CAD needs to follow.

https://brazoscad.org/homestead-audit-by-perdue-brandon-fielder-collins-mott/
CS78
So they just get to throw the ball back at homeowners and demand you address the issue? Seems like another load of government horse crap. If they have an issue with your homestead exemption then that should be on them to address.
Rexter
CS78 said:

So they just get to throw the ball back at homeowners and demand you address the issue? Seems like another load of government horse crap. If they have an issue with your homestead exemption then that should be on them to address.

Yeah, and just got the letter on 03/15 (been out of town until today). Letter is dated 02/24 and says if no response within 15 days they will advise to remove exemption.
histag10
AG
Wondering if this is new for many counties. I'm handling things for my BIL while they are both deployed, and Robertson Co said the property was flagged to have all exemptions removed when I spoke to them last week. Got it fixed, but it would have removed 3 exemptions
TexAg1987
Homestead Exemption Audit- Senate Bill (SB) 1801
During the 88th regular session, the Texas legislature passed Senate Bill (SB) 1801, effective September 1, 2023, which requires the Central Appraisal District develop a program for periodic review of each residence homestead granted under Texas Property Tax Code Section 11.13. The bill requires the Chief Appraiser verify each residence homestead at least every 5-years to confirm the recipient of the exemptions still qualify.
histag10
AG
Eye roll. Dumb. The property was purchased less than a year ago, and the exemptions were verified less than a year ago.
TexAg1987
It will probably just be a reaffirmation of the homestead exemption request that you signed originally.
I don't remember it being too invasive when I originally applied.
TexAg1987
May be based on zip code, address or random. Who knows.
Could be like jury duty. Lol, some get it all the time, some never.
BrazosWifi
TexAg1987 said:

Could be like jury duty. Lol, some get it all the time, some never.
Ain't that the truth.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
91_Aggie
AG
Question for those receiving this letter: Do you have more than one property in Brazos County?

Wondering if only sending to those with multiple properties
jello123
Certainly NEEDS to happen IMO. Many folks have weekend places here around Somerville lake and claim homestead. Since the $100k exemption I feel there is a definite need to crack down! I had a neighbor who moved to California decades ago leaving the house empty but she has a PO Box here near Somerville that perhaps family check, she still had Homestead and over 65 exemptions!!!
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
jello123 said:

Certainly NEEDS to happen IMO. Many folks have weekend places here around Somerville lake and claim homestead. Since the $100k exemption I feel there is a definite need to crack down! I had a neighbor who moved to California decades ago leaving the house empty but she has a PO Box here near Somerville that perhaps family check, she still had Homestead and over 65 exemptions!!!
I agree. We all want to pay as little in taxes as possible, but WITHIN THE LAW!!!!

It's very much like shoplifting. We ALL (except those stealing) pay more in retail because of stores raising prices to pay for shrinkage.

And we ALL (except those who aren't filing exemptions properly) pay more in property taxes because some aren't paying what they are required to under the law.
WolfCall
AG
Agree with the above. If you aren't living there, why should you get a homestead exemption?

Another question regarding the Somerville resident claiming a homestead exemption while living in California. Is that Texas Expat in California claiming they are a Texas resident so they don't have to pay state income taxes in California?

Rexter
Follow up… called the atty this morning. The only question on verification was whether we still live in the home in Brazos county. Their research showed my wife getting mail at her daughter's home in Buda, so they wanted to know if we have moved. The wife has never had mail go to the kid's home, but she did have Amazon packages sent there (in her name) with wedding /party supplies for the kid's wedding.
Bucketrunner
Government getting too cute ( and invasive).
BCSWguru
easy solution is get rid of property taxes and none of this is necessary
ShawnTxAg
AG
I received a letter on 12/12/23 from BCAD stating,

"A residence homestead exemption from ad valorem taxation is NOT currently being allowed on my property. However, records show that the property may qualify for a residence homestead exemption, which will reduce my taxes."

I responded and was told to fill out the exemption form and mail it in. Which i did and confirmed it was received. I tried to follow up and inquire on how my taxes would be adjusted and if they would take in account the taxes i had paid the following years in which they didn't allow for the exemption on my property, but never heard back from them on this issue. Anyone familiar with this?
SARATOGA
It is 2024 !

You cannot send official correspondence thru the MAIL !

Brazoscad has my email address, and a few years ago they went thru a thing where you could choose how to be contacted and submit information (email, phone #'s etc.)

This really grinds my gears. They will never stop trying to tax people out of their homes.
SARATOGA
I called BCAD, the audit for homesteads is real (you can see posted on front page of BCAD); but it has to do with properties that are part of a trust or trust fund. A law changed where some specific verbiage about who can live there changed and they need to update some things.

the BCAD person was very kind and helpful.
woodiewood
Rexter said:

Follow up… called the atty this morning. The only question on verification was whether we still live in the home in Brazos county. Their research showed my wife getting mail at her daughter's home in Buda, so they wanted to know if we have moved. The wife has never had mail go to the kid's home, but she did have Amazon packages sent there (in her name) with wedding /party supplies for the kid's wedding.
I don't think the post office has a right to give private information about where your wife gets her mail at times.

Having said that, since I am requesting a reduction in my property taxes, I have no problem with the tax office verifying my homestead status once in a while.

There's a lot of squirreling things going on to avoid property taxes. In the county, I have seen many garages, dwelling additions, barns, in-ground pools, etc. built that are not on the county tax records. I don't care, but it amuses me that many persons knowingly avoid paying some taxes.
2wealfth Man
AG
We are like share croppers or Irish peasants; just renting the land

Quote:

That's really disturbing; makes you wonder what other kind of surveillance is going on on our lives.

I have a nephew who has never re-deeded an inherited property for going on five years now. Homestead exemption still chugging along on that one, Told him he is going to pay a massive back tax bill when they do sell or even risk losing the property. I can't believe the CAD doesn't run death certificates against property titles to bust this kind of thing.
Stucco
Your wife may have an entry in this forwarding database, or someone associated her daughter's record with your wife mistakenly. Or something else entirely.

https://postalpro.usps.com/mailing-and-shipping-services/NCOALink
cavscout96
AG
Rexter said:

How did they know there was "mail" going to another address?

I think I would have lost my patience on that alone.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.