Frontier Fiber question

1,027 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by spike427
henrikk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have Optimum. Works well enough for me (since I call them up every year or more often to get them to lower their price). Still, I have the choice of Frontier Fiber and am considering it, but I have a technical question. I need a public IP address so that I can reach my router (for VPN). Will the Frontier Fiber modem (ONT?) provide me with a public IP address? Dynamic IP is fine and expected as long it is reachable from the Internet. I am concerned about getting Frontier Fiber and finding myself behind a double NAT which would complicate things for me.
spike427
AG
Answer from Mr. Spike: our IP address has not changed since we have had Frontier (~2 years ago). We used to use the router they provided in bridge mode, but that's not required, so we removed their router from the lineup and use only our router now. Single NAT.

HTH
UmustBKidding
I don't have it but have seen no cgnat on customers frontier links. But do yourself a favor and use tailscale or other overlay vpn and dont worry about topology or nat forwarding any more
henrikk
Thank you for the answers. This helps. I can work around a double-nat (e.g. tailscale would be one solution), but I need to reconfigure multiple clients, so a public IP makes it easier for me.
henrikk
spike427 said:

Answer from Mr. Spike: our IP address has not changed since we have had Frontier (~2 years ago). We used to use the router they provided in bridge mode, but that's not required, so we removed their router from the lineup and use only our router now. Single NAT.

HTH
Interesting. They provide a RJ45 (?) connection I can plug directly into my router?
UmustBKidding
Friend is currently running his palo alto behind their arris but many providers only require their routers for authorization. Believe frontier uses ppoe so my be able to rip theirs out if you have the credentials.
spike427
AG
From Mr. Spike:

"Yes. Our house isn't directly wired for fiber, so starting from the outside:

Frontier installed a modem in our external connector box in the backyard, and hooked that modem up to the house cable line. Inside, they added a cable-to-RJ45 convertor and connected their "Eero" modem to that. Initially, I set the Eero to bridge mode and connected my own Nighthawk router to the Eero. I realized somewhat later that the Eero was causing problems and removed it, connecting the Nighthawk directly to the convertor. This worked just fine."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.