Internet provider

1,776 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by SW AG80
turnag4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just moved to the south College Station area in one of the subdivisions. Would appreciate recommendations on internet providers. Thanks!!
TorcanoAG2004
AG
Frontier has been great - was with suddenlink/optimum for many years and I am very happy I switched

I live in Edelweiss - welcome to the area!
Jetty
AG
Brazos WiFi has been great.
Golf1
AG
I've had optimum/suddenlink for a while and I'm not a fan of them at all. I plan on moving in a few months and might shop around with metronet or one of the other providers around.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Frontier Internet is pretty good.

We are in Lick Creek and we have never had outages that weren't tied to power outages. Can't say the same out about CEO Internet which is the second option here.

Welcome Home!
UmustBKidding
Unfortunately south college station is not specific enough to suggest since availability is mixed and a moving target. At this point you have to ask providers about your specific address and hope that they are looking at correct and current information.
Here is what i recommend after dealing with network issues since the 80s.
Frontier fiber
DisOptimum fiber
Brazos wifi fiber
Ceo fiber
Brazos wifi wisp
Ceo wisp
Wirestar
Tmobile home internet
Verizon home internet
Frontier bonded dsl
Frontier legacy dsl
Viasat
Dialup from 1978
Hope you have coverage options from the first few. The middle of the list can change depending on your exact location.

Another Doug
AG
Frontier.

Optimum used to be suddenlink and they were terrible and price gouged for so long they changed their name hoping people would forget.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Depending on where you live, you may not have any choice.
techno-ag
AG
You might consider StarLink if you're in one of the more outlying subdivisions.
gibby03
AG
Friend of mine has Frontier. He loves it.

I recently moved from Optimum to MetroNet. Hallelujah. Cause Optimum sucks.

End of day, if you have ANY option other than Optimum, do it. You're welcome.
SW AG80
AG
ttt
nwspmp
Currently, I have three; Metronet Fiber, Optimum Cable Modem, T-Mobile 5G Home Internet. Multi-WAN on my router means I rarely if ever notice any downtime, and it's typically my routing gear then.

Of these, the least reliable and often worst performing has been the Optimum cable modem. The sum price I pay for all three is under $100 though ($49.95/mo, $15/mo (threaten to cancel, and the price DROPS; this is on a special price as I have their Optimum mobile for my kids rarely used phone, which reduces it by $15/mo), and $30/mo), and that's for 1G/1G, 1G(?)/40M, ~400M/~100M speeds.

Generally, my cable modem speeds have been less than the 5G, and I'm not sure why. It's a dedicated run to the cable modem only, signal levels have been checked, modem has been replaced with theirs and mine (and not an Intel Puma chipset unit), but it's still no good for the past two years or so. Before that, it was rock solid.

Metronet was installed within the last two weeks, and has been completely awesome. If available, get that.

The T-Mobile 5G I got as soon as it was available in my area due to the Optimum problems. Since then, it's been a reliable workhorse, with speeds between 100mbit and 400mbit pretty much anytime of the day. I even got the same system for my Dad's house (which is technically outside of their footprint) and it works significantly better than their Hughesnet did, though with a few occasional hiccups I don't have in-town.

T-Mobile and Metronet both use CG-NAT, so there might be an occasional weirdness for home-hosted apps or systems, but most things now work well (I run a Cloudflare Tunnel back to my homelab).

So, if all available, my order would be Metronet -> T-Mobile 5G HI -> Optimum
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Everyone hates on Optimum (formerly Suddenlink). I've had it for something like 8 years now, and my only complaint was price creep. I think we went from $70/mo to $120/mo for 400mbps service. We moved last year and are back to paying $30/mo for 100mbps service. Although I don't work from home, I don't recall any significant service issues or outages.
FlyRod
Way less enamored of Metronet after I almost had to physically toss an incredibly aggressive hawker off my front porch earlier. Like dude, I have your 50 million flyers, **** off.
SW AG80
AG
Ttt
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.