I&GN Road Closures

3,946 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by maroon barchetta
etj77845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Haven't seen this very interesting construct by county R&B but if you use I&GN south from Greens Prairie starting on 11th. Interesting.

https://www.brazoscountytx.gov/DocumentCenter/View/4794/Brazos-County-Pct-1-I-andGN-Rd-Construction-Information-03042024

Very 'busy" map but basically says you can't get there from.. well, wherever.
maroon barchetta
People already fly down that road thru those curves at Straub/Dymple/Wellborn Storage driveway.

Straightening this out will allow them to fly even faster. They already disregard every stop sign.

At least they are installing safer culverts so when they go off the road it won't be quite as bad as the existing culverts.

Property owner I know in that area says Eminent Domain was used to make this project happen. He's not happy about it.
Independence H-D
Yeah, this is going to be the suck.
cajunken
I drive this road at least twice daily going to and from work. People don't "fly down this road" unless the posted speed limit (40 mph and 45 mph) is considered flying. When the railroad took away the Wade Road crossing, traffic increased greatly on IGN. The two big curves did serve to slow traffic naturally, but I have to admit, with all the new construction in the area, a wider street with a little bit of shoulder is definitely needed.
maroon barchetta
They absolutely go faster than the posted speed limit. Maybe the times you are coming and going to and from work don't let you be witness to that.

Every Brodozer in Saddle Creek thinks they need to be in a hurry to get to Greens Prairie and wait on a train.
deh40
AG
maroon barchetta said:

People already fly down that road thru those curves at Straub/Dymple/Wellborn Storage driveway.

Straightening this out will allow them to fly even faster. They already disregard every stop sign.

At least they are installing safer culverts so when they go off the road it won't be quite as bad as the existing culverts.

Property owner I know in that area says Eminent Domain was used to make this project happen. He's not happy about it.
I'm pretty sure no emminent domain was used on this project from discussions I had with the county engineer. She also said the project was not just to straighten out the curves, but because of deterioration of the road surface.
maroon barchetta
They have gone beyond the fence lines of existing property. Unless those landowners willingly sold or donated that portion of land, it was eminent domain.

Considering a good portion of the I&GN route is next to the land that already had to be taken by eminent domain when they established the Greens Prairie railroad crossing several years ago, i doubt those people were happy to just work with the county to give up more land.

The road surface needed repair. That didn't mean they needed to reroute the road.

Also, it's a matter of time before Dymple gets turned over to the county. I can't see it staying private and unpaved forever with that new subdivision running right up to it.
deh40
AG
maroon barchetta said:

They have gone beyond the fence lines of existing property. Unless those landowners willingly sold or donated that portion of land, it was eminent domain.

Considering a good portion of the I&GN route is next to the land that already had to be taken by eminent domain when they established the Greens Prairie railroad crossing several years ago, i doubt those people were happy to just work with the county to give up more land.

The road surfaces needed repair. That didn't mean they needed to reroute the road.

Also, it's a matter of time before Dymple gets turned over to the county. I can't see it staying private and unpaved forever with that new subdivision running right up to it.
As I said based on my discussions with the county engineer, the owners sold the property, no imminent domain was used. So unless you know for sure they used imminent domain, you probably want to stop spreading that rumor. It's your opinion it did not need to be re-routed, the huge majority of people I know urged the county to do it and are very happy it's getting done.
maroon barchetta
I'm sharing info I got from a landowner I talked to in that area. He's always been reliable but it's possible he's incorrect.

He's not happy with it and is concerned about the county spending money to reroute and make it what he believes less safe.
etj77845
I reviewed some of my files from December '14 meetings between UPRR, County and Wellborn citizens. According to the maps provided segments of I&GN were to be "upgraded to current standards". Over the last 9 years there seems to have been numerous survey crews out doing whatever.

Also, in the intervening 9yrs development has added a lot of traffic to what was essentially a railbed with steep drop-offs between GPT and Straub.
woodiewood
People sail fast down most every major road in the county. I drive 70 on Hwy 6 and 99% of the traffic sails by me like I am standing still.

I drive down I&GN a couple of times a week and it looks to me that it's good that it is being widened and also straightened. People who drive fast, will always drive fast regardless of the straightness or not of the road.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Pretty strong opinions from someone who doesn't live out here. At least that's my assumption based on the words you're using.

People don't fly up and down roads as you suggest. No more speeders than on any other road in the world.

Between the deteriorating road conditions, UP channeling all traffic to one intersection, increased traffic, bicyclists, runners and people on their phones crossing in to the other lane, it's WAY past time for this project.

An awful lot of tax revenue generated from this part of town. The state of the roads out here is inexcusable.

As usual, they waited far too long to get this done and it's going to suck until it's done, however.
etj77845
Quote:

Between the deteriorating road conditions, UP channeling all traffic to one intersection, increased traffic, bicyclists, runners and people on their phones crossing in to the other lane, it's WAY past time for this project.
Now this I can agree with.

I can't see Dymple going anywhere soon. A private road that provided ingress and egress to several property owners that dead ended at a pasture gate. Now it still does only a developer that purchased the pasture improved the infrastructure, paved their portion and turned over to county. NOW if there is someone to buy out the property owners' interest and pave.. who knowns.

Like a lot of others who are resident, I welcome the IGN improvements. perhaps some of the stakeholders/business owners ain't happy- I can recall 1 from some of the '14 meetings that wasn't very happy.
Burn-It
AG
I live on IGN, haven't had a bunch of crazy speeders. I don't like all the traffic running to BCS from 6a-8a.
AKA 13-0
maroon barchetta
Same owner in the area that I mentioned earlier said he's talked to some folks down in the Dymple area. There are residents in that new development (I forget the name) that continue to use Dymple even though it is private because they feel entitled to do so and not go around the long way.

Those that do go around the long way are some of the speeders I referred to earlier. They are impatient that they have to go around even though they bought a property that currently requires them to go around.

If the Dymple owners turn it over to the county they lose the private road status, which some people ignore anyway, and they get a paved road and maintenance provided by the county instead of having to pay to get it maintained themselves.
scd88
AG
Y'all will know you've made it when you get the medians...
maroon barchetta
I don't think that area has been annexed.
Ctree
I have lived in the new subdivision for almost two years at the end of Dymple. That road has had a right of way in place for over 70 years so we do not illegally trespass down it. Dymple is how the prior property owners accessed the land from what I was told.
maroon barchetta
That's good to hear.

Spread the word.

Of course, there are people that go blasting down the other direction to get to Straub and have no intention of driving at a safe speed on a residential street.

Friend on that street sent me photos of a demolished (formerly nice) brick mailbox that some gal in a Yukon or Tahoe whacked. He works from home. Said she came blasting by about 60mph and drifted off the road and thru that mailbox.

I'm sure she absolutely was not on her phone. No way.

If she had gone about four feet right she would have hit the culvert. That would have been really bad. Maybe fatal.

If the mailbox had not stopped her it would have been trees or a power pole that stopped her.

Maybe y'all can have a block party and discuss safe driving. Then the overlords in that area can't decide that medians are the great savior.
Ctree
He is absolutely correct. That is one of my favorite roads to drive down but there is always an outlier that decides to be a F1 driver

texasaggiegirl04
AG
In Phase 2, our drive way will be in area will the road will be blocked by barriers. How are we supposed to get in and out of our house?
maroon barchetta
This is not a surprise.

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/03/12/road-workers-voice-safety-concerns-after-drivers-ignore-road-closure-signs/
etj77845
This signage in the KBTX story is at GPT and IGN.

The signs erected on GPT at IGN are confusing as well. There is a 'local traffic only' sign and a 'no left turn sign' on same pole. Perhaps its ok to make a right turn at iGN then a U'y at Hidden Acres and then go on IGN.

Oh well progress is fraught with confusion.

maroon barchetta
The signage shouldn't make a difference. The detour routes were communicated in multiple locations online. This isn't a surprise.

These are the same entitled people that nobody sees blasting up and down the road in that area. They can't be bothered to take the long way around.
etj77845
Quote:

The detour routes were communicated in multiple locations online.
No plan survives first contact.
taxpreparer
AG
maroon barchetta said:

The signage shouldn't make a difference. The detour routes were communicated in multiple locations online. This isn't a surprise.

These are the same entitled people that nobody sees blasting up and down the road in that area. They can't be bothered to take the long way around.

It is wrong to assume anyone sees, and retains, online detour information. Local signage should be clear and prominent.

Edit to add: It might be, I do not travel in that area.
maroon barchetta
The flashing message board signs have been up for a month saying that I&GN would be closed to thru traffic starting March 11th.

These people were warned.

Either they are stupid or they don't care. Look at how people drive in this town/state/country. They don't care.
taxpreparer
AG
That being the case, why did you say the signage should not make difference, and the online postings were so important? It sounds like ample warning signs exist. Again, I do not drive that area and do not know.
maroon barchetta
Because people had been warned for a month with flashing message boards that I&GN would be closed to thru traffic on March 11. This was not some surprise where people woke up Monday and there were barricades across the road.

They had ample warning to prepare to adjust their route, and some of them this week evidently believe that doesn't apply to them.

This isn't difficult.
oldag76
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Because people had been warned for a month with flashing message boards that I&GN would be closed to thru traffic on March 11. This was not some surprise where people woke up Monday and there were barricades across the road.

They had ample warning to prepare to adjust their route, and some of them this week evidently believe that doesn't apply to them.

This isn't difficult.

I am on Wade Rd. Was out of town from 3/3-3/11. I use GpT to I&GN to access my place. Prior to my departure I do not recall ANY flashing message signs and received zero communication from anyone about the full closure. This project has been a total cluster by the County. Should have been done several years ago but the Judge kept blocking it until he had saved up the money during a time when 3-4% bonds were readily available. The UP closures the county "approved " should have immediately triggered this work and not taken 10 years. Like the 2 years it took to repair the washout on I&GN, if Judge Peters had to use these roads they would have been taken care of a lot faster.
As for safety, there is no possible way the improved road could be less safe than it currently is.
maroon barchetta
I've seen the flashing signs. There's even one on I&GN north of Koppe Bridge, almost to the new water tower, which seems kinda far away but ok.

I'm sure there was one on Greens Prairie but I haven't been over there to see if it's still there.

The scheduling of the project and Judge Peters waiting is a whole other issue. Your gonna get people riled up and commenting on the "rainy day fund" by bringing that up.
etj77845
Hi neighbor!!

i routinely use GPT/IGN and can assure you that no flashing sign was posted. True enough there was one on IGN between GPT and Koppe Bridge but not for GPT.

When school resumes Monday should be interesting.

maroon barchetta
Was there one on Stousland?
etj77845
Not in my neighborhood.
Expert Analysis
AG
It would be nice if they would have said how long these closures would last. I originally thought it was just for a day to run pipe under the road as the sign only indicated closed on 3/11. They could have said starting on 3/11. Seeing as how they have the road torn up I assume it is a full closure of the section until they switch the sections that are close this summer.
The signs for this project have not been setup properly. They posted a new 45 mph sign in a 35 mph speed area immediately preceding a 40 mph sign.

Completely agree with oldag76 on the timing of this. Peters is terrible!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.